Poll: Nearly three-quarters of Occupiers think Obama is doing lousy job; only 36% plan to vote for him
posted at 12:54 pm on October 29, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Barack Obama may think that he and the anti-Wall Street protesters are simpatico, but a new poll suggests the feeling is not mutual.
The survey, conducted by the Fordham University Center for Electoral Politics and Democracy, finds that 73% of Occupy Wall Streeters disapprove of the way the president is handling his job and that only 36% plan to vote to releect him in November of 2012. In contrast, 60% said that they voted for Obama in November 2008. These paired data dovetail with those of a USA Today/Gallup conducted in August, which found that 51% of voters do not believe that Obama deserves a second term.
Demographically, the breakdown of Wall Street protesters is what you would expect. An overwhelming majority (68%) describe their race as white, while only 10% identify themselves as Black/African American. Hispanics make up another tenth of the total population.
When it comes to ideology, 39% think of themselves as extremely liberal, while another 33% consider themselves as plain liberal—again no surprise there. In terms of party affiliation, nearly as many protesters, 22%, identified themselves as Socialists or Green Party members as Democrats (25%). Thirty-nine percent claimed identification with no political party, and 2% claimed to be Republicans.
To put these polling data in a larger context, consider first the findings of a newly released Pew poll that reveal that support for the Occupy Wall Street movement among Americans have fallen to about 2 in 5 (39%). Then add in the self-acknowledged by team Obama that casting their lot with this rag-tag movement could further alienate independents and other mainstream voters, and you have the makings of a perfect electoral storm.
- Pew poll: Public now divided over Occupy Wall Street
- Obama campaign goes all in: casts its lot with Occupy movement
- ‘How Are OWS and the Tea Party Different?’ home version
- Obama: OWS ‘expresses frustrations American people feel’
- The left and Big Labor get their ‘Tea Party’
- Poll: More than half of voters do not believe Obama deserves a second term
- Poll: Democratic party has lost 7% of its voter base since 2008
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation