Green Room

Obama administration fights to keep WH visitor logs secret

posted at 11:48 am on October 15, 2011 by

Remember when Barack Obama vowed that transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency”? Clearly he didn’t mean his presidency, which has been so committed to secrecy that it excluded the press from an awards ceremony honoring Obama’s (get ready for it) transparency.

On Friday the administration filed a formal appeal of a federal judge’s ruling that Secret Service records of White House visitors are subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

In August U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell upheld a March 2009 FOIA request for White House visitor records made by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a DC-based watchdog group. Initially, the request was denied, prompting CREW to sue for injunctive relief.

The judge’s ruling rejected an argument by administration attorneys that the visitor’s log is the property of the White House even though it is maintained and used by the Secret Service. Ironically, the same argument was used by the Bush 43 administration, which candidate Obama roundly castigated for its secrecy.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I can not wait to get those two out of the wh in 2012! There must be some dandy people on that list for bho and team to be having such a fit to keep them secret?
L

letget on October 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

i really despise this man and this administration

cmsinaz on October 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM

As much as I despise Obozo, I despise the Communist Media more.

They’re killing this country, and they’re doing it with the money Conservatives give them every day for movies, cable t.v., “newspapers”, music, fad products, etc. Etc. Etc.

KMC1 on October 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus