Bloomberg to anti-Semitic Occupiers: Clear out!
posted at 10:53 am on October 13, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has done a 180 in re the occupation of Zuccotti Park in downtown Manhattan. Two days after telling the Occupy Wall Street protesters they could camp out in the park as long as they liked, hizzoner stopped by last night to serve up their eviction notice. They have until Friday to get out of Dodge.
The ostensible reason behind Bloomberg’s change of heart was his compliance with a request to clean the park by Brookfield Office Properties, the company that owns it. The website Capitalnewyork.com features a letter by Richard B. Clark, Brookfield’s CEO to NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, stating that the “trespassing of the protesters” has created “health and public safety issues that need to be addressed immediately.”
Among the “safety issues” Clark cites are a complaint by a woman who was “verbally abused in front of her 5-year-old child” and “had a package stolen from her as she tried to cross the Park.”
But Bloomberg’s motives may, to turn a memorable quote from The Godfather on its head, be personal, not just business. It is possible that the mayor, who is Jewish, takes offense at the “blame the Jews” mindset exhibited by some of the protesters.
As a case in point, journalist Nathalie Rothschild reports receiving “a string of indignant emails and tweets about my Jewish, kleptocrat banking connection” after writing an unflattering portrait of the protesters in the online publication Spiked. She adds:
[There were] demands that I reveal the details of my pay checks and that I come clean about my not-so-hidden agenda. I was told that my family name disqualifies me from having any opinion about the protest and that I have ‘the karma of a demon’. One reader posted my article online, headlining the post ‘Journalist & Jew – Nathalie ROTHSCHILD.’
Rothschild’s article was published on September 21. Since then signs like the following have appeared intermittently:
One of the most conspicuous examples of overt anti-Semitism is a rant several days ago by a man in a filthy T-shirt holding a curious sign reading “Hitler’s Bankers—Wall St.” CBS reports on the man’s antics, which are captured in a YouTube video:
In the nearly 6-minute video, the man is seen standing in Zuccotti Park ranting against Israel and Jews….
The protestor, who would not give his name to those gathered around him, is also seen arguing with members of the public who took offense to his choice of words.
A number of others also ask the protester if Fox News had paid him to stand and display his sign to which he responded: ‘[expletive] Fox News, that’s [expletive]. [Expletive] Jew made that up.’
Meanwhile, Jews are “Hitler’s bankers?” And here I thought it was the Tea Party that was ignorant of history.
- Occupy L.A.: We will need violence and socialism to achieve our goals
- Occupy Wall Street embraces black multimillionaire Russell Simmons
- The left and Big Labor get their ‘Tea Party’
- Black congressman who called Tea Party lynch mob doubles down
- Obama’s brush with Tea Party members in Iowa tells much about him (Video)
- Congressional Black Caucus declares war on Tea Party
- Tea Party terrorists and the left’s civility pledge
- The Tea Party: The nation’s antidote for “hope and change”
- The shootings in Tucson and Tea Party Derangement Syndrome
Recently in the Green Room:
- Obligatory Bill Clinton drew pictures of man parts on classified documents post
- Winning entry for HHS’s ObamaCare propaganda video contest: “Forget About the Price Tag”
- The Ed Morrissey Show on hiatus
- Health records ‘data security,’ Canada-style
- Good news from Piers Morgan: Obama’s a perfect physical specimen