Remembering Barack Obama
posted at 4:02 pm on October 10, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Before you start tweeting or dashing off emails, the president is fine—as hail and healthy as any cigarette smoker can expect to be. And the current name of the leader of the free world is still Barack Obama.
So why are so many columnists beginning to refer to his presidency using the past tense? It’s worth noting that these references are not by conservative bloggers engaging in wishful thinking. Rather, they are emanating from the liberal commentariat.
Here is Mother Jones’s Kevin Drum:
Ezra Klein has a really, really good piece in the Post today that looks back at the Obama administration’s response to the Great Recession and explains why it wasn’t enough. [Emphasis added]
Looks back? Wasn’t? Isn’t the administration’s response to the recession ongoing—a work in progress? The last time I looked, Obama was vigorously lobbying Congress to pass a second stimulus bill.
The article Drum links to has an equally ominous title: “Could this time have been different?”
Even the almighty New York Times, maker and breaker of presidents, ran an article on August 6 asking “What Happened to Obama?”
What I believe is happening is that the left is reading the handwriting on the wall and resigning itself to the harsh reality the man they trusted to “fundamentally transform America” is on the verge of being unelected. The polls may not be the ultimate arbiter of elections, but Obama’s approval ratings, which have followed a steadily downward trajectory, are now at a low of 42%. It is a point far south of the widely accepted cutoff of 47%, from which no incumbent ever recovered.
- Obama again urges voters to “call your congressperson” (except in NY-9)
- Obama new AttackWatch website: Snitches wanted
- Obama wants you to help him gather dirt on Rick Perry
- Economy needs 254K jobs a month for 5 yrs to reach pre-recession unemployment
- Shock poll: Obama approval in California below 50% for first time
- Shock poll: Obama approval rating 45%, disapproval 49%, in New York
- Poll: 34% say U.S. would have been better off under President Hillary Clinton
- Poll: More than half of voters do not believe Obama deserves a second term
- When you’re running neck-and-neck with no one in particular, you’ve got problems
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation