Obama has received more money from Wall Street than any politician
posted at 11:08 am on October 10, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
As the Wall Street Occupiers (aka 99 Percent) approach week four of their vigil, they have yet to publish or announce a set of clear-cut objectives. One general theme around which the loosely knit protest movement is organized is a vague opposition to Wall Street and an antipathy toward all who have access to its purse strings.
That would include the man who is arguably Wall Street’s biggest detractor and an OWS sympathizer—Barack Obama. A study by the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation’s Influence Project finds that Obama has received more in campaign donations from the financial sector than any other politician in the last two decades.
So far, the president has received $16 million in Wall Street contributions. The amount, which accounts for 20% of Obama’s total campaign funding, is $2.7 million more than George W. Bush received.
The Daily Caller quotes former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer as commenting:
It’s almost as if President Obama won’t cross across a Wall Street picket line except to get inside with [his] hand out, so he can raise money. That sort of support causes him to look hypocritical.
Fleischer adds that if Obama and other Democrats, including New York Sen. Charles Schumer, are so offended by Wall Street’s actions, they should put their mouths where their money is. Schumer has received roughly $8.7 million from the financial sector since 1989.
But the disconnect between what Obama says and does becomes more pronounced when you examine his specific list of donors. One of them is Bank of America, which donated $421,242 to Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. The president returned their kindness last week when he pounced all over B of A for its newly announced $5 monthly fee on debit card users.
- OWS: The 99 Percent solution
- Occupy Wall Streeters stink—literally
- Obama: OWS ‘expresses frustrations American people feel’
- 700 Wall Street protesters arrested after blocking Brooklyn Bridge traffic
- Obama has run up the debt to the tune of $3 million per minute
- Obama’s autocratic dream (Video)
- Shared sacrifice: Cutting ObamaCare could save $2 trillion
- By January 2013, Obama will have added as much debt as all 43 prior presidents
- Solution to the debt crisis: Tap the nation’s “additional income” reserve
Recently in the Green Room:
- Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget