Green Room

Obama has received more money from Wall Street than any politician

posted at 11:08 am on October 10, 2011 by

As the Wall Street Occupiers (aka 99 Percent) approach week four of their vigil, they have yet to publish or announce a set of clear-cut objectives. One general theme around which the loosely knit protest movement is organized is a vague opposition to Wall Street and an antipathy toward all who have access to its purse strings.

That would include the man who is arguably Wall Street’s biggest detractor and an OWS sympathizer—Barack Obama. A study by the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation’s Influence Project finds that Obama has received more in campaign donations from the financial sector than any other politician in the last two decades.

So far, the president has received $16 million in Wall Street contributions. The amount, which accounts for 20% of Obama’s total campaign funding, is $2.7 million more than George W. Bush received.

The Daily Caller quotes former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer as commenting:

It’s almost as if President Obama won’t cross across a Wall Street picket line except to get inside with [his] hand out, so he can raise money. That sort of support causes him to look hypocritical.

Fleischer adds that if Obama and other Democrats, including New York Sen. Charles Schumer, are so offended by Wall Street’s actions, they should put their mouths where their money is. Schumer has received roughly $8.7 million from the financial sector since 1989.

But the disconnect between what Obama says and does becomes more pronounced when you examine his specific list of donors. One of them is Bank of America, which donated $421,242 to Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. The president returned their kindness last week when he pounced all over B of A for its newly announced $5 monthly fee on debit card users.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So the money starts at 1600 Pennsylvania… ends up on Wall Street… and ends up BACK at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The billion-dollar question: is it institutionalized bribery, or is it institutionalized extortion?

VastRightWingConspirator on October 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

“…they have yet to publish or announce a set of clear-cut objectives.”

Oh, I don’t know about that:

“I got warrants. I’m running from the law,” boasted Dave, 24, a scrawny, unshaven miscreant in filthy clothes from Stamford, Conn. “I’m not even supposed to be here, but it’s as good a spot as any to hide.”

Wanted for burglary, the drug-addled fugitive said some of his hard-partying pals clued him in that the protest was a good place to be fed, get wasted and crash.

I’ve been smoking and drinking in here for eight days now,” said Dave, booze on his breath and his eyes bloodshot as he lay sprawled on a tattered sheet of cardboard. “I need to get some methadone. Every day, I wake up, and I’m f–ked up.”

mrt721 on October 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on October 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

If only the money started at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. The thing is, it actually starts at 101 Main Street, or whatever your address and/or your business’s address is. What a privilege we have, to pay with our tax dollars for all this third-party enrichment.

J.E. Dyer on October 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM

mrt721: They are also stealing milk from coffee vendors, according to a woman who works at a building off Zuccotti Park.

‘Scuse me. I gotta go attend to the blood shooting out of me eyes.

Howard Portnoy on October 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM

And those ‘fat cats’ have no problem giving this maroon dough

Shameful