Green Room

Obama has received more money from Wall Street than any politician

posted at 11:08 am on October 10, 2011 by

As the Wall Street Occupiers (aka 99 Percent) approach week four of their vigil, they have yet to publish or announce a set of clear-cut objectives. One general theme around which the loosely knit protest movement is organized is a vague opposition to Wall Street and an antipathy toward all who have access to its purse strings.

That would include the man who is arguably Wall Street’s biggest detractor and an OWS sympathizer—Barack Obama. A study by the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation’s Influence Project finds that Obama has received more in campaign donations from the financial sector than any other politician in the last two decades.

So far, the president has received $16 million in Wall Street contributions. The amount, which accounts for 20% of Obama’s total campaign funding, is $2.7 million more than George W. Bush received.

The Daily Caller quotes former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer as commenting:

It’s almost as if President Obama won’t cross across a Wall Street picket line except to get inside with [his] hand out, so he can raise money. That sort of support causes him to look hypocritical.

Fleischer adds that if Obama and other Democrats, including New York Sen. Charles Schumer, are so offended by Wall Street’s actions, they should put their mouths where their money is. Schumer has received roughly $8.7 million from the financial sector since 1989.

But the disconnect between what Obama says and does becomes more pronounced when you examine his specific list of donors. One of them is Bank of America, which donated $421,242 to Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. The president returned their kindness last week when he pounced all over B of A for its newly announced $5 monthly fee on debit card users.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So the money starts at 1600 Pennsylvania… ends up on Wall Street… and ends up BACK at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The billion-dollar question: is it institutionalized bribery, or is it institutionalized extortion?

VastRightWingConspirator on October 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

“…they have yet to publish or announce a set of clear-cut objectives.”

Oh, I don’t know about that:

“I got warrants. I’m running from the law,” boasted Dave, 24, a scrawny, unshaven miscreant in filthy clothes from Stamford, Conn. “I’m not even supposed to be here, but it’s as good a spot as any to hide.”

Wanted for burglary, the drug-addled fugitive said some of his hard-partying pals clued him in that the protest was a good place to be fed, get wasted and crash.

I’ve been smoking and drinking in here for eight days now,” said Dave, booze on his breath and his eyes bloodshot as he lay sprawled on a tattered sheet of cardboard. “I need to get some methadone. Every day, I wake up, and I’m f–ked up.”

mrt721 on October 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on October 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

If only the money started at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. The thing is, it actually starts at 101 Main Street, or whatever your address and/or your business’s address is. What a privilege we have, to pay with our tax dollars for all this third-party enrichment.

J.E. Dyer on October 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM

mrt721: They are also stealing milk from coffee vendors, according to a woman who works at a building off Zuccotti Park.

‘Scuse me. I gotta go attend to the blood shooting out of me eyes.

Howard Portnoy on October 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM

And those ‘fat cats’ have no problem giving this maroon dough

Shameful

cmsinaz on October 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM

A familiar GOP pattern when in power: Squabbling

Andrew Malcolm Jun 29, 2017 10:01 AM
Top Pick

Not exactly teamwork.

Top Pick

Merkel plots confrontation on climate change.

Button it up.

“I repeat I am innocent of these charges. They are false.”

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”