Green Room

First couple celebrates wedding anniversary with dinner out (at somewhere other than Target)

posted at 12:28 pm on October 2, 2011 by

The Obamas celebrated their wedding anniversary on Saturday (h/t White House Dossier). I’m not sure which anniversary this was, but pictures of a smiling First Couple suggest that the 2010 story that they were experiencing marital woes was just idle gossip. In any case let me wish the president and Mrs. Obama a heartfelt mazel tov!

Now on to business. It is not at all clear whether the smart black number the First Lady can be seen wearing in the accompanying photo was acquired during her much-publicized shopping spree at Target the day before. Suffice it to say that the Obamas did not celebrate the event at the Pizza Hut Express in the store where Michelle was coincidentally captured on video pushing a red cart.

Instead, they dined at Restaurant Eve, in Alexandria, Virginia, where à la carte appetizers average $17 and main courses $38. Desserts are $12. There is no telling whether the Obamas opted for one of the “tasting room menus,” which run from $120 to $150 (add in another $45 if you elect to start with Black River Osetra caviar with steamed goose egg custard and Maine lobster).

So do I begrudge the happy couple their fancy evening out? Of course not. Will their extravagance make any impression on the Occupy Wall Street protesters, who have joined the president in his class warfare on corporate fat cats? Highly doubtful. Does it send a wrong message to those the president is asking to continue making sacrifices and make him look two-faced? One can only hope so.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I don’t begrudge anyone an anniversary, to be celebrated as they see fit. Is it hypocritical of the President to do this, after all his lecturing for the rest of us to give such extravagances up? Yes.

And at least he remembered. My hubby forgot his 25th earlier this month. :( I’m still bummed over that.

capejasmine on October 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

My hubby forgot his 25th earlier this month.

Ouch! I hope you gave him what for.

Howard Portnoy on October 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

capejasmine on October 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Oh dear, someone is in deep do? Hubby might want to think about something real sparkly to make things ok again?
Congratulation on 25 years, a bit late, from me.
L

letget on October 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Wonder if anyone from the White House advance staff, or Michelle herself, stopped by to make preparations at the restaurant on Thursday, and someone decided to turn the trip into a photo op by having her stop off at Target, which is located on the highway between the restaurant in the Old Town part of Alexandria and the White House.

jon1979 on October 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM

It is not at all clear whether the smart black number the First Lady can be seen wearing in the accompanying photo was acquired during her much-publicized shopping spree at Target the day before.

Racist! You’ve been reported to Attaaacck Waaaatch.

SouthernGent on October 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM

What is this woman’s fascination with giant belts worn under her boobs? I don’t get it.

AZCoyote on October 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

AZCoyote on October 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

A truss?

roy_batty on October 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I’m just glad they didn’t take Air Force ONE to NYC, but just drove a few miles to Alexandria…

Khun Joe on October 3, 2011 at 11:13 AM

capejasmine on October 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM

{{{hugs capejasmine}}}

I’ll bet, though, that he remembers every detail of the day you two got engaged. Maybe that will help you feel a little better, I hope?

Congratulations to the two of you!

Mary in LA on October 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM