Obama’s fundraising off by 36% for last quarter
posted at 12:09 pm on September 27, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
According to Keith Koffler at White House Dossier, Barack Obama’s poll numbers are not the only the ones that are lower than anticipated. His fundraising efforts for the second quarter of his campaign have produced an amount substantially lower than that collected during the first quarter.
Koffler cites an article in the New York Times that quotes Obama campaign manager Jim Messina telling Democratic officials the president will raise about $55 million in the quarter ending September 30. That’s $30 million less than he raised during the quarter ending June 30—a 36% drop.
The campaign maintains that the need for Obama to stay in Washington to fight Republicans over the budget (another potential government shutdown looms this coming Friday). In other words, the job of being president is interfering with his campaign efforts.
Koffler points to another Times article that suggests the Obama campaign is not attracting as many small donors—the people who contribute$10 or $25 or $50 every few weeks or months—as they might have hoped for. Writes theTimes’ Nicholas Confessore:
[I]n recent months, the frustration and disillusionment that have dragged down Mr. Obama’s approval ratings have crept into the ranks of his vaunted small-donor army, underscoring the challenges he faces as he seeks to rekindle grass-roots enthusiasm for his re-election bid.
Another ominous sign for the president’s war chest comes from a poll conducted by McLaughlin & Associates. The polling data showthat only 64% of Jews who donated to Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign have contributed or plan to contribute to his re-election campaign.
- Obama’s worsening Jewish problem
- Long-time blue congressional seat turns red: Obama’s face, too
- Obama’s upcoming bus tour of swing states to be financed by taxpayers (Video)
- Obama fund-raising video filmed at WH violates campaign funding laws
- Obama plays to a half-empty house at Miami fundraiser
- Leading NY Jews rethink support for Obama
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation