Green Room

The word that isn’t there

posted at 9:25 pm on September 17, 2011 by

Glenn Reynolds links to a post by Rex Murphy in which he talks about how the media gave Obama a free ride during the 2008 election campaign.

Murphy laments that the press’s sycophancy led to the US electing "an untried, unknown and, it is becoming more and more frightenly clear, incompetent figure as President."

What I found particularly interesting about Murphy’s article was the word that wasn’t there. It’s the word that no one wants to say. But I don’t give a damn, and I’ll say (or write) it:

"Black".

Among lefties, back in the 2007 timeframe, there was no worse epithet than "racist". One of them would have preferred to have been thought of as a child molester than a racist. Consider, for example, how sympathetic lefties are to Roman Polanski, a confessed child rapist.

The "racist!" epithet has been devalued in the last four years by indiscriminate over-use but it was still quite poisonous among lefties back in 2007.

And so, when in 2007 it became clear that Obama had a genuine shot at becoming president, no left wing reporter or news outlet (which is to say, pretty much all of them) wanted to become known as the one who shot Obama down and ruined his chances for election.

Obama got a free ride from the press because he is black. That’s what no one wants to admit. He is the ultimate example of affirmative action.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

150 years after the end of the Civil War is time enough to end all preferences, set asides, H-1B, or diversity hires. Only hire on demonstrated merit or competitive scores on job-specific exams. That is 2015 for the math – challenged like economists, media figures, and Democrat politicians.

Yes I know current law does not allow direct testing of unrealized talent, merit, or specific knowledge. When you abolish “diversity” and preferences, change the hiring laws to allow merit based hires.

Changing the culture is our only hope.

NaCly dog on September 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Changing the culture is our only hope.

NaCly dog on September 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM

It is not our hiring practices which cause the cultural decay in today’s society.

The problem is that way too many people do not have children, or have children way too late in life. Those people do not have the same responsibilities or understanding of responsibilities to the whole of the culture. Since their lack of children allows them to imagine that all the cultural decline will have not affect on their future children, they push for what makes them feel good as opposed to what would be best for their child.

I say to a large extent, this children problem can be squarely lain on the program Social Security and its add on medicare which lowers the value of having children, as you can just skate in retirement on the backs of other people’s children.

astonerii on September 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM

One of the reasons that the liberal press are now beginning to attack Obama is that they’ve awakened to the existence of a profound danger.

Obama may become the face of liberalism/progressivism/socialism for a generation. And his is the face of utter failure.

Steven Den Beste on September 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Steven Den Beste on September 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Thomas Sowell had a great column contrasting Barack Obama-as-the first black president with Jackie Robinson-as-the first black major leaguer. Very appropos, especially today as we approach the 2012 elections.

gryphon202 on September 18, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Thomas Sowell …
gryphon202 on September 18, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Walter E. Williams

Hmmm. Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that error.

astonerii on September 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Hmmm. Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that error.

astonerii on September 18, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Meh. Both economic geniuses. That they both happen to be black is of course inconsequential. I think I made the mistake because I am in the process of reading “Basic Economics.” And the column is a worthy read anyhow.

Am I forgiven?

gryphon202 on September 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM

As I recall, in the summer of ’08 Geraldine Ferraro had the temerity to point out that the only reason Obama was where he was at that point in the campaign was because he was black. While not a journalist, it was a surprisingly candid statement coming from a liberal that isn’t repeated 3 years into his presidency among Dems.

tpitman on September 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Of course the only reason he was even considered as a candidate was because he was half black and half white and didn’t have any nasty slave background (other than his African tribe selling them to Arab traders, I mean).

Am I the only one who remembers that at the Kerry Democatic national convention Obama and his lovely bride did an infomericial and she was duded up ala Jackie Kennedy, flip hairdo and all.

It struck terror in my heart because I knew they were to be the appointed successors.

erp on September 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

But I don’t give a damn, and I’ll say (or write) it:

I second it.

AH_C on September 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Am I forgiven?

gryphon202 on September 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM

I have no say on whether your forgiven. I found it somewhat humorous. But the thought police would love to barbeque me for that.

It is a good article.

astonerii on September 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

O has had many hands pushing him up that ladder of success in his life, removing barriers and letting him through without his ever having had to work to earn any of it, patting him on his head and telling him how wonderfully brilliant he is without anything to back that up, and the American people are paying dearly.

TeeDee on September 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I did not vote against bho because of the shade of his skin, it was what came out of his mouth telling us what he intended to do to our Republic! That was the only true thing bho said he would do and he is doing it.
L

letget on September 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Excellent article, Mr. Den Beste. I’m always glad to see your writing.

Mary in LA on September 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM