Green Room

Weprin blames loss in NY 9th special election on Obama

posted at 3:53 pm on September 16, 2011 by

Liberal pundits are doing their best to rationalize away Democrat David Weprin’s loss to Republican Bob Turner in the special election to fill Anthony Weiner’s seat, but Weprin himself contends that the culprit is President Obama.

The Queens state assemblymanis quoted by the New York Post as saying:

The message of the campaign was ‘Send Obama a message.’ I think the problem was that he’s the president and people are frustrated, and it’s just natural to take it out on the top guy—or the top guy’s party.

As much as I tried to make it about David Weprin or Bob Turner, I don’t think that resonated to voters. I think that voters looked at it as a referendum on the president.

Weprin specifically cites the president’s hostile policies toward Israel as an overriding factor in a district that is predominantly Jewish and where Democrats outnumber Republicans 3 to 1.

Some Democratic commentators have called Weprin a lackluster candidate, claiming that his campaign committed strategic blunders, such as depicting a jetliner buzzing lower Manhattan in a campaign ad slated to run right before the anniversary of 9/11. The truth of those claims cannot be denied.

But neither can the harsh realities, which include the fact that less than a year ago, Turner lost to Anthony Weiner by a whopping 18 percentage points, 59% to 41%. Nor is there explaining away the fact that the last time this congressionalseat was controlled by the GOP wasMarch 3, 1923.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So Weprin took one for the team?

bofh on September 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I blame Bush.

Because… uuhhh

because.

Well, they tried to stop it and Ojesus didn’t, but, other than that, it’s all Bush’s fault. I promise.

hillbillyjim on September 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Everyone needs to blame Oblameaaaa for everything, because:

1.) It really is all his fault

and

2.) He really is interfering with my golf game, which is nonexistent, BTW, because I don’t play. Golf. That is.

3.) And stuff (this includes racist and hate-mongering stuff too awful to include above) and stuff.

hillbillyjim on September 17, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus