Weprin blames loss in NY 9th special election on Obama
posted at 3:53 pm on September 16, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Liberal pundits are doing their best to rationalize away Democrat David Weprin’s loss to Republican Bob Turner in the special election to fill Anthony Weiner’s seat, but Weprin himself contends that the culprit is President Obama.
The Queens state assemblymanis quoted by the New York Post as saying:
The message of the campaign was ‘Send Obama a message.’ I think the problem was that he’s the president and people are frustrated, and it’s just natural to take it out on the top guy—or the top guy’s party.
As much as I tried to make it about David Weprin or Bob Turner, I don’t think that resonated to voters. I think that voters looked at it as a referendum on the president.
Weprin specifically cites the president’s hostile policies toward Israel as an overriding factor in a district that is predominantly Jewish and where Democrats outnumber Republicans 3 to 1.
Some Democratic commentators have called Weprin a lackluster candidate, claiming that his campaign committed strategic blunders, such as depicting a jetliner buzzing lower Manhattan in a campaign ad slated to run right before the anniversary of 9/11. The truth of those claims cannot be denied.
But neither can the harsh realities, which include the fact that less than a year ago, Turner lost to Anthony Weiner by a whopping 18 percentage points, 59% to 41%. Nor is there explaining away the fact that the last time this congressionalseat was controlled by the GOP wasMarch 3, 1923.
- Long-time blue congressional seat turns red: Obama’s face, too
- NY 9th Dem’s ad against opponent showed airplane buzzing lower Manhattan
- Wasserman Schultz outlines the Democratic plan to save Medicare
- DNC chair: GOP wants to make illegal immigration “a crime” (VIDEO)
Recently in the Green Room:
- Video: Black Democrat-turned-Republican explains party switch
- Can we please stop glorifying pimps?
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week