Green Room

White Castle sued for violating civil rights of man too fat to fit into booth

posted at 11:01 am on September 11, 2011 by

In what has to be the ultimate irony, a 290-pound New York man is suing the fast food chain White Castle because his wide body is too wide to fit into one of its standard-issue booths.

To add insult to injury the man, Martin Kessman, is citing the Americans with Disabilities Act, which he claims is “applicable, not only to me, but to pregnant women and to handicapped people.” Nice of him to include handicapped people!

The New York Post reports that Kessman, a stockbroker, entered the Nanuet, New York, store in April of 2009 and ordered a No. 2 combo meal. But when he attempted to shoehorn himself into one of the booths, he discovered that they are designed for normal—I mean “non-disabled”—people.

Kessman, who insists he has no problem “fitting in” at other fast food chains, wrote White Castle, complaining:

As I looked around the restaurant, I saw that there were no tables and chairs that could accommodate a person that merely wanted to sit down and eat his meal.

In a lawsuit filed last week in Manhattan federal court, Kessman states that White Castle replied with three “very condescending letters.” Each contained a coupon for three free hamburgers; cheese, however, was extra. What—no cheese?? The nerve of them!

Kessman was so incensed by his treatment that he has since refused to set foot in the store. Instead when he wants sliders he sends his wife to pick up the food.

A spokesman for White Castle told the Post that Kessman could have approached a manager and asked for a regular chair. In addition, the store (sad to say) is renovating its booths to make them “comfortable for people with a little more weight,” although not fast enough to pacify Martin Kessman, who says, “I just want to sit down like a normal person.”

Here’s a newsflash for Kessman: If you want to sit down like a normal person, become one. Spend less time in White Castle and more (or any) in a gym. Drop some pounds. Then drop your silly lawsuit.

What Martin Kessman and others like him need is not a larger seat but a different seat—one that is somewhere other than at White Castle.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Surprised he is not suing White Castle for making him to big to sit in their store.

IowaWoman on September 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Oh brother, what an idiot! Here in TX we have looser pay and if I was on the jury he would be paying!
L

letget on September 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

There was an episode of The Family Guy where Peter won unlimited free burgers, then ate so many he had a stroke, and sued.

Good stuff.

uknowmorethanme on September 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

When everyone is “disabled”, then no one is.

Neo-con Artist on September 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Another Wall Street Fatcat. Back away from the burger, chubs !

teacherman on September 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

A perfect candidate for Mooch-elle’s “get moving” campaign.

GrannyDee on September 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I’m reading this post eating from a bag of Family Size Cheetos (mmmm…Cheetos). But I recognize it is my responsibility to work it off, and so I work out 3-5 days a week. Maybe Porky should take the stairs.

Bigurn on September 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

My wife nags – excuse me – “reminds” me to exercise every day. Maybe I can send her up there for a while.

WAIT! I just had a stroke of genius! If he’s sending MRS. Kessman in to pick up his food, why can’t White Castle sue HER for her part in keeping him fat super-sized? I think perhaps that crafty Mrs. Kessman may be working to eliminate Mr. Kessman. Maybe he has a big insurance policy…

I’d love to stay and pursue this thread, but now I must venture forth to procure my own bag of Family Size Cheetos. Thanks a lot Bigurn, this means there’s more “reminding” in my future.

oldleprechaun on September 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM

OK y’all talking about cheetos, now I have this huge NEED for the cheese all over my fingers eating these little tasty critters. Once you start eating, the whole bag get eaten it seems!
L

letget on September 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM

If that’s a photo of him, it looks to me like he fits into the booth. I thought the deal was that he literally couldn’t seat himself. So his gut is squeezed against the table. He wants eggs in his beer?

I can’t say the Cheetos references are doing anything for me. Now, if you want to start talking about sour cream & onion Pringles, I may have to take a break for a trip to the Circle K up the road.

J.E. Dyer on September 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM

People who poop in their pants should sue Levi’s for not providing enough room in the seat.

scrubjay on September 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM

J.E., that is him. His beef (no pun intended) is that he doesn’t fit comfortably into a booth. Have some compassion–the guy’s disabled.

As for the snack food discussion, I’m too distraught over the Steelers’ abysmal performance today to eat. (Maybe some cheesy poofs later.)

Howard Portnoy on September 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Shame on all you pudgeophobes! The fellow is a fine figure of a man. Solid, stocky, ample, heavy set but certainly not fat. If a stock broker can’t sit down to a well deserved lunch, you tell me, how does a white man catch a break? For shame!

Mason on September 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Can you hear it that’s my stratoairius playing my heart breaks for you.

chemman on September 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Yet another parasite on society.

He and his lawyers need to be treated like parasites, and the judges that enable them need to be impeached.

Spartacus on September 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM

If restaurants had any testicular fortitude, they’d build a special seating section, complete with Scary Sign that says “Fat People Only Seating Area”.

Posted nearby are the specifications and limits:

1. Seats: Design Load = 750lbs; Max Working Load = 600lbs
2. Table: Design = Max 12 Super Size Deluxe Meals w/Large Drinks
3. Clearance: Chair to Table Edge = 104″ Waist Size (Male), Michelle Obama (Female)

* If you can’t fit at this table, you’re too fat for us to serve you. Get out, get help.

Management

BobMbx on September 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Then I suggest he start eating and exercising like a normal person.

Count to 10 on September 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Sit up straight, you slob.

Can you fit on a treadmill?

hillbillyjim on September 12, 2011 at 3:44 AM

I’m surprised that he didn’t sue clothing manufacturers for not providing expandable clothing, the Bureau of Weights and Measures for mental anguish.

All airlines get these types complaining about their “tiny” seats on a regular basis as well, from the diet challenged. Being fairly small myself, I guess I’ll have to go into White Castle and sit in one of their oversized seats and sue because my arms won’t reach the table. Wonder how that would fly? War of the Weights, coming soon to a courtroom near you………….

Robert17 on September 12, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Proof that he is handicapped-he’s eating at White Castle!

Hard Right on September 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Dude. His gut is eating the table.

TexasDan on September 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Dude. His gut is eating the table.

TexasDan on September 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Heh.

hillbillyjim on September 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM

except for the minor detail that it sure seems like this fellow is closer to normal than Portnoy seems to think he is…unless you consider the 68% of Americans whom the CDC considers overweight or obese to be the weird ones…

das411 on September 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM