Green Room

The Obligatory GOP Debate Overhype Post

posted at 12:50 pm on September 7, 2011 by

The Week neatly rounds up all the conventional wisdom you need about tonight’s GOP presidential debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California. Viewers will get their first real look at the putative frontrunner, Rick Perry, an infrequent but reportedly solid debater. Perry will come under rhetorical fire from chief rival Mitt Romney, as well as those who want the NotRomney slot, e.g., Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul. After all, these candidates will not want to “pull a Pawlenty’ by backing away from their offstage critiques of Perry. Jon Huntsman will likely target Romney also, although any buzz he got from his tax plan may evaporate with the news that he has a touch of laryngitis. All concerned will have nice things to say about Reagan while at his library.

However, if no one pulls a Pawlenty, folks ought to watch solely for the entertainment value, if any. As political scientitsts John Sides and Brendan Nyhan will tell you, a presidential candidate who hopes to change the dynamic of a campaign in a debate is likely to fail. Candidates will spin their performances and those of their rivals. Much of the establsihment media — and the blogosphere — will pretend it matters, because they have space to fill. Absent the unforeseen, I will have a difficult time getting worked up over it. This is why I am a bad blogger.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Another question is how long can NBC News and Politico hold off the inevitable “please bash Sarah Palin now” questions?

You know they will do it.

Brian1972 on September 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Those will likely come after the obligatory Darwin questions.

Karl on September 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Im aching to know if any of the candidates switches from Coke to Pepsi or briefs to boxers since the last debate. Does Perry prefer hand-tossed or thin-n-crispy? I make my primary decision based on this vital information.

Jeddite on September 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I guess Karl is right, but frankly, it’s going to do my heart good to watch a group of Republican leaders giving real answers, in the Reagan Library.

J.E. Dyer on September 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM