Anti-gay marriage groups target NY Republicans who supported law
posted at 3:19 pm on September 7, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
An elephant, they say, never forgets. In seeming support of this adage, New York Republicans have made good on their threat to wage war on state senators from their own party who voted in favor of the law recognizing same-sex unions in June.
The National Organization for Marriage has begun placing billboards along roadsides in the districts of four GOP state senators who broke ranks and voted to legalize gay marriage.
The first of the billboards went up recently in the Albany-area district of Sen. Roy McDonald. It reads, in a manner reminiscent of Donald Trump’s Apprentice, “Roy McDonald, You’re Fired.” NOM plans to follow suit in the weeks ahead, erecting billboards in the districts of Sens. Mark Grisanti, Stephen Saland, and James Alesi, all supporters of the initiative.
According to NOM President Brian Brown, the group is spending around $40,000 on the billboard campaign. NOM views this as only the first volley in what is expected to be a protracted battle whose ultimate goal is force a statewide referendum on gay marriage.
Brown is quoted by the New York Daily News as having said:
This is what this campaign is going to be from here on out. We are not going to rest until the people of this state get a vote.
The senators who have been targeted claim to be unfazed by the attack so far. A spokesman for Sen. Grisanti told the News, “People need to get over it because the simple fact is that everyone should enjoy the same rights. This just rolls right off our back.” A second spokesman, representing Sen. McDonald, noted simply, “They are entitled to their opinion; it is a free country.”
Gay marriage proponents have said they will close ranks behind the four Republicans.
- Anti-gay marriage group swears revenge on NY pols
- BREAKING: Gay marriage bill passes New York State Senate
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation