First Lady Spent $10 million in Taxpayer Money on Vacations Last Year
posted at 10:09 am on August 27, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Curse those fat-cat millionaires and billionaires, taking lavish vacations at five-star resorts while the rest of us languish in economic hell, our 401ks dwindling before our eyes. So which corporate jet-wielding cretin is it this time who spent $10 million on luxury getaways in 2010 alone, according to the Daily Mail?
Wait, that’s no CEO. It’s our own dear First Lady, Michelle Obama. And that ten mil she squandered on massages and high-end vodka isn’t even hers—it’s yours.
The Mail quotes a White House source as calling Mrs. Obama a “vacation junkie,” adding:
It’s disgusting. Michelle is taking advantage of her privileged position while the most hardworking Americans can barely afford a week or two off work.
When it’s all added up, she’s spent more than $10 million in taxpayers’ money on her vacations.
The First Lady is believed to have taken 42 days of vacation in the past year, including a $375,000 “getaway” at the Costa del Sol in Spain, where she spent $2,000 a night on a suite at the ritzy Villa Padierna.
Mrs. Obama knows how to travel in style as well. Rather than wait for her hubby to finish out the business day last Thursday, she took Air Force Two to Martha’s Vineyard several hours earlier. Cost to taxpayers: $149,000 minus time on the ground and extra security detail.
Says the source:
The vacations are totally Michelle’s idea. She’s like a junkie. She can’t schedule enough getaways, and she lives from one to the next—all the while sticking it to hardworking Americans.
It all sounds terribly greedy and extravagant, but have pity. The poor woman, after all, is out of work. Let’s just hope her husband follows suit in November of 2012.
- Obama has run up the debt to the tune of $3 million per minute
- A golfing Obama skips one hole to avoid being photographed\
- Putting country ahead of vacation
- Obama and the meaning of shared sacrifice
- Michelle Obama’s high staff turnover fueled by racism?
- First Lady vacations in racist Spain
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation