Green Room

Oh, My: Obama Ag Secretary Vilsack Says Food-stamps Put People Back to Work

posted at 7:46 am on August 17, 2011 by

One in seven Americans (another Obama record!) is now on food stamps. Asked how the federal government might alleviate those high numbers, Obama Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack proclaimed that food stamps are “putting people to work.

No s***. He really said that.

Well, obviously, it’s putting people to work. Which is why we’re going to have some interesting things in the course of the forum this morning. Later this morning, we’re going have a press conference with Secretary Mavis and Secretary Chu to announce something that’s never happened in this country — something that we think is exciting in terms of job growth…

…I should point out, when you talk about the SNAP program or the food stamp program, you have to recognize that it’s also an economic stimulus. Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity. If people are able to buy a little more in the grocery store, someone has to stock it, package it, shelve it, process it, ship it. All of those are jobs. It’s the most direct stimulus you can get in the economy during these tough times.

Bask in the sheer genius of Tom Vilsack, peons: the government taking money from you hard-working Americans — and giving it to others, without regard for their ability to work — stimulates the economy!

Why didn’t we think of this before?

In fact, let’s put everyone in America on food-stamps! That’ll be the ultimate Stimulus!

Ultimate, I say!

As an aside, my fellow Tea Party terrorists, Vilsack’s wife is running against Rep. Steve King of Iowa, a true fiscal conservative.

Do we need another economic illiterate in Congress? I think not. Therefore I urge you to give $5, $10, whatever you can spare to Steve King’s campaign.

We need exactly zero Vilsacks in office in 2012.

Related Fun: So the Democrats Finally Want Fiscal Responsibility? Great. Let’s End Their Disastrous “War on Poverty”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Well, duh. Why DON’T we just put everyone on food stamps? I mean, if it’s so easy and cost-free to put people to work.

But we need to think bigger. Food stamps are small-time. I want government to declare me a loan payoff recipient, and have people who are paying off loans start directing their payments to me. If you agree to participate, I will start directing a loan payoff payment to you. One for one trade; one per client. We could really get something going here. Think of the JOBS!

J.E. Dyer on August 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM