Green Room

Rick Perry Latest GOP Candidate Photographed Eating Corn Dog

posted at 12:34 pm on August 16, 2011 by

In yet another bald attempt to capture a GOP candidate in an unflattering light, the liberal blogosphere has obtained a photo of Governor Rick Perry chowing down on a corn dog. At least the photo seems to put to rest earlier charges that a similar snapshot of Michele Bachmann was sexist.

The image, shown on this page, first appeared as the “pic of the day” in a Texas publication called The Dallas Voice, which describes itself as “the premier media source for LGBT Texas.” (The prurient caption appended to the image—“Rick Perry deep-throats corn dog at the Iowa State Fair”—is hardly likely to win friends and influence enemies of the LGBT lifestyle, but that’s another article.)

The photo has since appeared on the Daily Kos website, with the headline “GOP Candidates Gone Wild,” which also contains another photograph of Bachmann administering rescue breathing to this state fair staple.

It is hard to imagine that the 2012 election is going to turn on embarrassing photos of GOP candidates, or even Kos’s innuendo that Perry’s eating a corn dog confirms the “long-running persistent rumors” that he is gay. Yet it is entertaining to watch liberals flaunt their superior intelligence through intellectual pursuits of the truth such as these.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

children running the operation…nothing more, nothing less…

cmsinaz on August 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Truly though, there is almost no graceful way to consume a corndog.

Jeddite on August 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Can never have too many photos of pols eating corn dogs.

J.E. Dyer on August 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

ruly though, there is almost no graceful way to consume a corndog.

Jeddite on August 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I could see John Kerry demanding another stick be put in the top of the corn dog, so he could use both to eat it like he was using corn cob holders. Which might or might not appeal to the Dallas GLBT community, but it wouldn’t have helped his dilatation image among the regular corn dog-eating population. (Obama? Tofu dog on a stick wrapped in baked arugula would be fine with him…)

jon1979 on August 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Anyone responsible for running unflattering photos like these deserves several punches in the face. It’s f*cking bullsh*t.

Dave Rywall on August 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I think what is needed here is ridicule:

1) A steam of real people posting their corndog eating photos to FB, Twitters, and blogs.

2) Funny staged photos of corn-dog easting posted photos – puppets, animals, statutes, clowns, Guy Fawkes masked people

3) Photoshopped corn dog easting images of famous people: Founding Fathers, Jesus, Mohammed (with a big censored blackout box), Ted Kennedy, the Kennedy brothers at the big Bar-B-Q, Bill and Monica, Obama with a halo, The Fonz, Darth Vader, Captain Kirk, Shirley Temple, Dracula, etc.

Take this away. Turn it around.

purpleslog on August 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Take this away. Turn it around.

purpleslog on August 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I completely agree with you. Also, add some teabag on the eyes just to make it complete. Demonstrate the absurd by being absurd.

SouthernGent on August 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

As a female, I learned very young to eat corndogs from the side. How do people get to this level of importance, with all the cameras around all the time, and make such easily avoided gaffes?

That said, liberals show their level of maturation.

Greyledge Gal on August 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I think what is needed here is ridicule.

purpleslog: I agree. To all: Send me your JPEGs or PNGs, and I will feature them in a slideshow, with credits.

Howard Portnoy on August 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I’ll save everyone from Andrew Sullivan by posting directly to two pix of Rick Perry in college:

I know why I like Perry now . . . He’s a collie man. I’m a collie gal – my 8th (not counting puppies) is with me now – beautiful blue merle, Phantom Menace. 🙂

Greyledge Gal on August 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

A pretty good Corn Dog site.

After many years of following politics and elections I’ve seen quite a few “low blows” and such. We’ve just moved past the Theatre of the Absurd to the Outer Limits (who remembers that show?).

Robert17 on August 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Here is a link to corn dog photos already on FLICKR:

purpleslog on August 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM

John Kerry…so close!

purpleslog on August 17, 2011 at 2:37 AM

The Corn (Corny) Dog was invented by Neil and Carl Fletcher for the Texas State Fair in 1942. It has been a State Fair staple ever since.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on August 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Corn dogs are the bomb. Any time you can deep-fry something on a stick, it’s all good. And anyone who makes fun of someone eating a corn dog can just go to hell.

tcn on August 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

purpleslog/all: Thank you for sending links. I suppose I was responding initially to purpleslog’s idea of a slew of photoshopped images of notable personages chowing down on corn dogs.

At this juncture, I’m inclined to think this story has run its course–unless, of course, there are MORE photo embarrassments of GOP candidates, in which case I’ll bundle up some of the funnier submissions from this lot and post them.

Howard Portnoy on August 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Sometimes a corn dog is just a corn dog.

Michael K. on August 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Top Pick

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”