Guess Who’s Financing Obama’s Swing State Bus Tour
posted at 11:13 am on August 6, 2011 by Howard Portnoy
Channeling Sarah Palin, the president will tour Midwestern electoral swing states by bus later this month. Unlike Palin, whose One Nation bus tour was paid for by her political action committee, the president’s whistle-stop will be financed by you, the taxpayer.
The White House confirmed this galling fact on Tuesday, when Press Secretary Jay Carney incredulous members of the press corps:
The idea that the president of the United States should not venture forth into the country is ridiculous.
The fact that he will be touring battleground states, including Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, invites cynicism over the White House claim that the tour is presidential, not political, in nature.
This is not the first time the most honest and transparent administration in history has flouted campaign finance laws. In June, the president filmed a fund-raising video from a room in the White House, violating a Federal Election Campaign restriction against using federal property for such efforts. The administration countered that their approach was “in keeping with the practices of [Obama’s] predecessors,” by which they must have meant Bill Clinton who traded overnights in the Lincoln bedroom for big-ticket donations.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation