Green Room

How Did a Christian Republican Girl Cause a Hollywood Scandal?

posted at 2:16 am on July 21, 2011 by

Celebrity tabloids and online gossip sites have been buzzing for the past month about 16-year-old starlet Courtney Stodden’s marriage to 51-year-old Doug Hutchison, an actor best known for his roles in the Oscar-winning “The Green Mile” and in the TV series “Lost.”

Stodden and Hutchison married in Nevada, where 16-year-olds can marry with parental consent, which Courtney’s parents provided, but even through it’s perfectly legal — and Courtney has said she was a virgin on her wedding night — Hollywood has treated their marriage as a shocking scandal. Last week, I wrote a post in which I remarked on two facts Courtney Stodden wrote on her Facebook page: “Courtney describes herself as a Christian and a Republican. She’s on our side, whether we like it or not.” That resulted in my interviewing Courtney’s mother Krista Stodden yesterday:

Courtney Stodden and her husband Doug Hutchison are being criticized because of jealousy, the mother of the teenage singer/actress said Wednesday in an exclusive interview.
“I mean, a girl that every man would love to have, and she’s a woman that every woman would like to be, and women know this, and they try to discredit her,” Krista Stodden told me in a phone interview, describing the negative reaction to her 16-year-old daughter marrying 51-year-old Hutchison. “And so what is out there in the media is just their insecurities, just flying all over the place.”
What Mrs. Stodden called a “media circus” has enveloped the couple since they disclosed their June wedding in Nevada. . . . The bride’s mother — who at 51, is the same age as her new son-in-law — said the couple are “so wonderful together,” and defended the marriage as “biblical” and “a blessing.”
Doug Hutchison . . . wasn’t the first older man ever to take an interest in Courtney, her mother said.
“She had a bunch of men all over the world trying to contact her through the computer. We’re talking rich, rich men. Even police officers were really wanting to get together with her,” Mrs. Stodden said of Courtney, the youngest of her three daughters. “She was getting messages all the time . . . Professional cage fighters, even [members of a major-league baseball team], a couple of guys from the [team]. Professional baseball players — they wanted to come out and see her, and I said no.” . . .

Read the rest at The Other McCain.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Nice interview — gets it all out on record without pushing an agenda one way or t’other. Leaves the deponent and the subjects looking human, instead of cartoonish.

Perhaps it’ll shame the MSM into having some journalistic integrity themselves, instead of whipping people into a frenzy to advance their own political agenda…..

Nah. Good try, though.

cthulhu on July 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM

I’m not sure how there could be political agenda in support or against this marriage. It’s odd given the age difference and especially given her young age but it is legal and they want it so good luck to them…

lexhamfox on July 21, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Isn’t it amazing what we spend our time worrying about when the World as we know it is crashing and burning around us?

Nobody really gives a flying fluck about this girl. Not even Hollywood.

uknowmorethanme on July 21, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I’m still trying to figure out how Doug Hutchison scored a chick like that. Percy “Wet More” from The Green Mile? Really?

Doughboy on July 21, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Well…

I’m not going to say I approve of a 16 year old marrying a 51 year old. It seems to me she’s a little young to be making such a decision, and the husband doesn’t have youth as an excuse for going along with this.

However

Considering that the far more common practice in Hollywood is for the 51 year old to just have sex with the 16 year old and then pay for abortions- I have to say I detect a high level of hypocrisy in the “scandal” accusations. At least this man is being decent enough to marry the girl.

I wish them well.

Sackett on July 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Consider…if she’s 16 currently, how old was she when they struck up their, ahem, relationship?

Ew.

princetrumpet on July 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Sackett on July 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Yep. If he’d just drugged and raped her, then run off to Europe to escape prosecution, he’d be a hero to the chic set now.

RegularJoe on July 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

(but I have to add that I’d NEVER allow my daughter to (a) be photographed in such sexually provocative ways or (b) “date” someone more than a year or two older than her. And if I saw signs she was thinking about marrying a 51-year-old, I’d have moved her to whatever state has the HIGHEST age of consent for marriage.)

RegularJoe on July 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Bingo. But we must add: she’d have to have been 13, not 16. Put that whole package of events together and the Hollywood crowd would be nominating him for sainthood.

J.E. Dyer on July 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Hardly. She’s a little beeep, and the old man is a pervert. Oh, and you can be a “virgin” female and had plenty of sex…

It seems that the Hotair crowd is more liberal than ever. In one year maybe we’ll hear praises about mohamed raping a 9 years old…

Rookie on July 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I realize this may sound like jealous, but I just do not find her attractive. Yes, she has a nice body, but she wears way too much makeup and looks a lot older than 16, and I don’t necessarily mean that in a good way.

Maybe she’s typical for Hollywood, but that’s why the rest of the country finds the place so odd and unattractive.

Also, after having seen an interview with the two of them together, it’s obvious to me that she isn’t even mature for her age. Maybe at 51 her husband is incredibly immature, so it works out. I’m not intending to judge.

But I don’t consider her “on our side,” whatever that even means here.

Esthier on July 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

But I don’t consider her “on our side,” whatever that even means here.

Esthier on July 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Probably what it means is that when and if something bad or embarrassing happens involving her, the MSM headline will be “Right Wing Christian Republican does XYZ…”

jwolf on July 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Sorry, but it’s gross regardless of politics.

blue13326 on July 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Co-sign on this. I really don’t get a pedobear vibe from the dude, mostly because she doesn’t seem like a sweet little innocent schoolgirl. She looks more like an aging stripper who has been at the same club through multiple ownership. I’d be more creeped out if she looked like Dakota Fanning. This is just kinda meh.

RachDubya on July 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM

jwolf on July 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Fair enough. But I don’t think we need to “own” her anymore than we own Camping or Phelps (who is actually a Democrat anyway, not that you’d know it from the news).

Esthier on July 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Her pouting and lip-licking and pseudo-provocative fidgeting just seems off in a very unsettling way.

OhioCoastie on July 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Of course, if they were a Muslim couple this wouldn’t be a scandal but cause for a diversity celebration.

kd6rxl on July 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM

RachDubya on July 21, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Exactly . . . 16 != pedo. Maybe it’ll get a couple of strange looks, but it’s nothing that far out of the ballpark.

Ryan Anthony on July 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM

She already looks damn near 40. Seriously, I thought it was just the pictures, but she looks like post-plastic surgery middle aged arm candy in every single photo.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Seriously? You approve of a 16-year-old child being pimped out by her parents and allowed to marry a 51-year-old man?

This is disgusting by any reference, regardless of her politics. It is a step away from pedophilia.

Sixteen-year-olds are not mature enough to make a decision like this, and her parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Meryl Yourish on July 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hardly. She’s a little beeep, and the old man is a pervert. …

Wait a second! Are you seriously saying that a man of 51 is “old”? That’s the prime of life nowadays. It also happens to be my husband’s age.

Rookie on July 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

No, probably not. For one thing, 16 is not 9, and if I’m not mistaken, 16 is the age of legal consent in many states. If she were my daughter, I wouldn’t be happy about her getting married so young — but I think the idea that getting married is better than shacking up is still a conservative value.

Mary in LA on July 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

If pimping out was what was going on, no, of course not. Is there evidence that her parents pressured her into the decision? That would be a whole different situation.

Meryl Yourish on July 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Some 16-year-olds might be, and others certainly not. Do you think that in places where the age of consent is 16, it should be raised? (I read your blog occasionally, and you usually have very good arguments, so if you have an opinion on that issue, I’d be interested in it.)

Mary in LA on July 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I wish the author had not chosen to include that picture. I get far too many sexy pics thrown my way with no warning from the TV, the rest of the net, and the grocery store checkout. And I don’t appreciate the assult. I’d hoped for a bit more responsibility here.

AnotherOpinion on July 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

@Mary in LA: No, not evidence her parents pressured her, just evidence they did a horrible job of parenting.

I think the age of consent should absolutely be raised from 16. There is not a 16-year-old in the world who is mature enough to understand exactly what marriage at that age entails. I think there is no way in hell a 35 year age difference is a good thing, even if it’s 40/75, but at least a 40-year-old has the maturity to understand what she’s getting into.

Let’s face it, the 16-year-old age of consent was probably created for pregnant high schoolers, not for high schoolers to marry their daddy figures. Jeez, when I was 18, a 28-year-old guy wanted to date me and used some pretty strong pressure tactics. It took all I had to tell him to go find someone his own age. I cannot believe her parents are okay with this pervert marrying their daughter.

There’s something wrong with a 51-year-old who wants to be with a teenager. Let’s be honest here. If these two were Muslims, the HA crew would be freaking out over how wrong Sharia law is, and how she shouldn’t be marrying such an old fart.

Meryl Yourish on July 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM

And she purports to be Christian, so that makes it ok?

You will know them by their works. And by the looks of things, her “works” are more appropriate in a red-light district.

Sterling Holobyte on July 23, 2011 at 1:36 AM