GOP Freshmen Will Call for Congressional Investigation of Planned Parenthood
posted at 8:32 pm on July 13, 2011 by The Other McCain
Reacting to a new report about the taxpayer-funded activities of Planned Parenthood, Rep. Renee Ellmers has warned her House colleagues of “systemic fraud and abuse” by the nation’s largest abortion provider.
A first-term North Carolina Republican, Ellmers will be joined by fellow GOP freshman Rep. Rep. Randy Hultgren of Illinois and Rep. Bill Huizenga of Michigan, as well as third-term Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colorado) at a Capitol Hill press conference Thursday to express their concerns about evidence of wrongdoing contained in The Case for Investigating Planned Parenthood, a new 181-page report by Americans United for Life.
In a letter to fellow Congress members, Ellmers wrote:
“I invite my colleagues to review the findings of this Report and to join us on Thursday as we voice our concerns about the issues raised by AUL’s Report and express our renewed commitment to seeking accountability for taxpayers and for investigating whether taxpayers are funding an organization that misuses government funding and violates state laws.
“I will be hosting a press conference on Thursday, July 14, 2011 together with Rep. Randy Hultgren to discuss the AUL Report’s extensive documentation of the systemic fraud and abuse inherent within Planned Parenthood and the need for Congress to investigate how Planned Parenthood is using federal money.”
Thursday’s noon press conference in room 2360 of the Rayburn House Office Building is expected to be the first step toward congressional hearings into taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood.
- Ellmers to Host News Conference on Investigation of Planned Parenthood — Press Release, Rep. Renee Ellmers, July 13
- Freshmen Congressmen Call Thursday News Conference to Discuss Hearings and Investigations of Planned Parenthood Based on Americans United for Life Report — Media Advisory, Americans United for Life, July 13
- “Members of Congress Press for Planned Parenthood Investigation” — July 13, LifeNews.com
- The Case for Investigating Planned Parenthood (PDF) — Americans United for Life.
- “Pro-Lifers Tell Congress: Investigate Planned Parenthood!” — July 7, The American Spectator