Green Room

Come on Everyone–it’s Time to Dig Deep and Help the People of Dixie.

posted at 2:17 pm on April 30, 2011 by

Americans are an extremely charitable people. We NEVER turn our backs on those in need—whether it be our fellow Americans in New Orleans, or strangers in distant lands like Haiti or Japan. Wednesday night, a slew of tornadoes tore through the southeastern US, ravaging Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, all the way to Virginia. So far, almost 300 people have been reported dead, and millions of dollars in property damage has been done by the 173 tornadoes that have destroyed Dixie (Tuscaloosa, AL seems to be the hardest hit). Bottom line, this is the deadliest tornado outbreak in the US since 1974.

Now, the good news is that, unlike the massive flooding that happened in Tennessee last year, the media actually seems to care about this disaster and President Obama is currently touring the South in order to assess the damage (whereas, he didn’t show up at all in TN last year). Yes, a select few have behaved appallingly–like the clowns over at Think Progress who had the unmitigated gall to imply that the people in these states kind of had it coming because they are all a bunch of global warming denying rednecks. However, this time around, the MSM, President Obama and the American people–both liberal and conservative–have overwhelmingly conducted themselves with class and generosity. Let’s keep it that way and not start giving the people of Dixie the Heisman, instead of our love and support, once the cameras go away and this story is off of the front page.

Michelle Malkin has a multitude of links to many different charities on her website where you can make a donation to help out the good people of Dixie (and Tabitha Hale of Redstate.com does as well). I grew up all over the South, and I can tell you that they would do it for us without even blinking. Even if you only have a dollar or two to give, your generosity during a recession will be greatly appreciated. If everyone gives a dollar, then that would add up to a lot of dough. It’s time to love our neighbors and help the people of Dixie get through this horrific disaster.

PS–I have embedded a video below from ABC World News so that everyone can hear from the victims, and see for themselves just how hellacious these tornadoes actually were.

PPS–If you also would like to give a small donation to help out the victims of the deadly storms in North Carolina that happened just a few weeks ago, then please click here.

Cross-posted from Parcbench, The Minority Report and Right Wing News.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Good info, and thanks for putting it out. I’ve been greatly inspired by the number of devastated people across the south who have spoken of their thanks to God, their concern for their neighbors, and their determination to get moving and regain their lives — lives of quiet courage and value.

We can help them do it. Next time, they’ll help us.

J.E. Dyer on April 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Thanks so much for the kind words. I too have been inspired by people who have lost almost everything, yet manage to keep going and thanking God for what they still have.

Oh, and J.E., I have always been a huge fan of your work.

Take care, and have a nice weekend. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on April 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM

We saw Obama’s helicopter fly over as we were cleaning up one of the neighborhoods that was destroyed. I’ll be impressed when he grabs a rake or a chain saw and actually gets his hands dirty.

College Prof on April 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM

College Prof, I will say a prayer for you and your family. I hope that you didn’t lose too much, and that you and your family are alright.

Take care. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

PS–Please let us know how you (and people in your area) are doing if you have the time.

Susannah Fleetwood on April 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

We’re in South Alabama, the storms were well to the north of us. The devastation is horrible. We would love to be able to go help out, hubby has plenty of construction experience, and I can cook, woman a shovel or what have you. We are unemployed and money is very tight so we can’t afford the gas to get there. We can get camping equip and feed ourselves. We could stay a week or a little more. We have hard working hands and willing hearts, but a bank account in serious trouble. Meantime we pray and keep putting out word that we are willing (but not financially able) to help.

kringeesmom on April 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Well people–you heard the woman. If anyone in South AL can hire/assist these two able bodied people to help out, then that would be awesome. (You would not only be helping her and her husband out, but you would also be getting two experienced workers to help with the devastation who will also be able to help those who can’t help themselves.)

Kringeesmom, I grew up in Mobile, AL(haven’t been there in ages–I went to college in NOLA and I live in Charleston, SC now), and I know that the storms passed that area by. I don’t know anyone in North AL, but if I hear something from my relatives about someone hiring up there, I’ll be sure to let you know. In the meantime, I’ll be praying for you and your husband.

Take care. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on April 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

SF – Thanks so much. I believe in the power of prayer, and the competence of footwork! There will be plenty of work to do in that area so we can go any time, as long as our situation remains as it is now. Blessings from Mobile!

kringeesmom on May 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM