Green Room

Who Is John Galt?

posted at 12:09 pm on March 2, 2011 by

The makers of the new movie Atlas Shrugged: Part I have invited me to an exclusive screening today in Washington, D.C. Here’s the trailer:

They’ve taken a huge gamble, producing this ambitious film under a tight deadline and on a tight budget.

During the CPAC blogger bash at FreedomWorks, they previewed four scenes from the movie. Clearly, they’re hoping to generate major buzz before the film’s theatrical release on April 15.

Yeah: Tax Day. Pretty clever.

Learn more at the official Atlas Shrugged Movie site.

(Cross-posted at The Other McCain.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I don’t know why they are doing this on such a tight budget….couldn’t it have waited? It looks cheap and cheapens our side’s message. I think I will just read the book; the production values are much higher in my mind.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

So, are they playing to all of the biblical allusions in part three, or glossing over them?

Count to 10 on March 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Be sure to update this with your reaction once you’ve seen it, Stacey.

I’m interested in seeing what they do with it.

turfmann on March 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

50 years and numerous failed attempts not enough for you?

turfmann on March 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

50 years and numerous failed attempts not enough for you?

It really is; my favorite book is Animal Farm and I thought the 1954 version was passable but ruined by changing the ending. When I saw that a new one was being produced in 1999, I was overjoyed but it was even a bigger disappointment. So yes, I think that if Atlas Shrugged is such a great novel, it deserves a grand adaptation.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

What!? No movie reviews?

I hope this movie is good.

Conservative Samizdat on March 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Well….. I was hoping for a film with the look of The Hudsucker Proxy meets Dark City. This ain’t it, too bad.

roy_batty on March 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Who Is John Galt?

Uhhm, a Ronulan goomba who comments at HotAir.com?

dmh0667 on March 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

You haven’t even read the book and you’re complaining about the movie already, having seen only select snippets of it?

Wait till April 15th has come AND you’ve read the book, and then come tell us if you think it’d have been better when they were planning on doing it with Angie Jolie and Harrison Ford.

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I don’t have to see it or read the book to be disappointed that one of the right’s most famous works of art is going to be made for less than four times the average film’s budget.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I have a sinking feeling this is going to come out mediocre at best. You just can’t do justice to such a great novel with a piddly budget and a too-short timeline.

Dark-Star on March 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Seeing as it’s part one of three, then being a quarter of the average film’s budget is actually on target. ;)

You really should at least read the portion of the book that this movie will be before judging whether it needed to be glitzed up by a big production studio and modernized/dumbed down enough to recoup costs right off the bat. Many who love the novel have fears about whether it will live up to the expectations, but if you’ve been following the movie’s Facebook page, a lot of those fears get put to rest. The trailer is also not a very good one in comparison to the rest of what’s been leaked by production.

Saying it can’t be a good movie version of a Rand novel without being expensive and having name-recognition stars bears a great deal of ironic similarities to the complaints about Rearden metal.

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Heh.

Who is John Galt on March 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Actually, the preview looked better than I expected.

Really looking forward to seeing this film.

Norwegian on March 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Presumably, they will have to edit Galt’s two hour sermon on the mount.

Count to 10 on March 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM