Green Room

Who Is John Galt?

posted at 12:09 pm on March 2, 2011 by

The makers of the new movie Atlas Shrugged: Part I have invited me to an exclusive screening today in Washington, D.C. Here’s the trailer:

They’ve taken a huge gamble, producing this ambitious film under a tight deadline and on a tight budget.

During the CPAC blogger bash at FreedomWorks, they previewed four scenes from the movie. Clearly, they’re hoping to generate major buzz before the film’s theatrical release on April 15.

Yeah: Tax Day. Pretty clever.

Learn more at the official Atlas Shrugged Movie site.

(Cross-posted at The Other McCain.)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I don’t know why they are doing this on such a tight budget….couldn’t it have waited? It looks cheap and cheapens our side’s message. I think I will just read the book; the production values are much higher in my mind.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

So, are they playing to all of the biblical allusions in part three, or glossing over them?

Count to 10 on March 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Be sure to update this with your reaction once you’ve seen it, Stacey.

I’m interested in seeing what they do with it.

turfmann on March 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

50 years and numerous failed attempts not enough for you?

turfmann on March 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM

50 years and numerous failed attempts not enough for you?

It really is; my favorite book is Animal Farm and I thought the 1954 version was passable but ruined by changing the ending. When I saw that a new one was being produced in 1999, I was overjoyed but it was even a bigger disappointment. So yes, I think that if Atlas Shrugged is such a great novel, it deserves a grand adaptation.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

What!? No movie reviews?

I hope this movie is good.

Conservative Samizdat on March 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Well….. I was hoping for a film with the look of The Hudsucker Proxy meets Dark City. This ain’t it, too bad.

roy_batty on March 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Who Is John Galt?

Uhhm, a Ronulan goomba who comments at HotAir.com?

dmh0667 on March 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM

You haven’t even read the book and you’re complaining about the movie already, having seen only select snippets of it?

Wait till April 15th has come AND you’ve read the book, and then come tell us if you think it’d have been better when they were planning on doing it with Angie Jolie and Harrison Ford.

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I don’t have to see it or read the book to be disappointed that one of the right’s most famous works of art is going to be made for less than four times the average film’s budget.

thebrokenrattle on March 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I have a sinking feeling this is going to come out mediocre at best. You just can’t do justice to such a great novel with a piddly budget and a too-short timeline.

Dark-Star on March 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Seeing as it’s part one of three, then being a quarter of the average film’s budget is actually on target. 😉

You really should at least read the portion of the book that this movie will be before judging whether it needed to be glitzed up by a big production studio and modernized/dumbed down enough to recoup costs right off the bat. Many who love the novel have fears about whether it will live up to the expectations, but if you’ve been following the movie’s Facebook page, a lot of those fears get put to rest. The trailer is also not a very good one in comparison to the rest of what’s been leaked by production.

Saying it can’t be a good movie version of a Rand novel without being expensive and having name-recognition stars bears a great deal of ironic similarities to the complaints about Rearden metal.

RachDubya on March 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Heh.

Who is John Galt on March 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Actually, the preview looked better than I expected.

Really looking forward to seeing this film.

Norwegian on March 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Presumably, they will have to edit Galt’s two hour sermon on the mount.

Count to 10 on March 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM

The musical!

thebrokenrattle on March 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Top Pick

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM
Top Pick

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”