Green Room

WaPo Columnist E.J. Dionne Needs a Civics Lesson

posted at 4:02 pm on March 1, 2011 by

Would that Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne knew as much about civics as he seems to know about the history of the state of Wisconsin.

In his column yesterday, in which Dionne sides (spoiler alert) with public unions over their employers—the taxpayers—he enlightens his readers on the history of Wisconsin, which he notes has previously “been at the center of national agitation over the role of unions.”

I will spare my own readers Dionne’s history lesson and his de rigueur sanctimony over the plight of the downtrodden as the playthings of greedy corporate special interests and cut to the chase. Which for him is the declaration that Governor Scott Walker’s efforts to curtail collective bargaining by public unions is nothing more than a power grab. Writes Dionne:

What the unions are rightly resisting is a shift in the long-term balance of political power that undercutting collective bargaining would represent.

That point is debatable. One that is not comes several paragraphs later, when Dionne writes:

Last week Walker signed into law a bill that will require a two-thirds supermajority in the legislature, or a statewide referendum, to raise income, sales or corporate franchise taxes. Imagine if President Obama had insisted that a two-thirds majority be required to repeal his health-care law?

As James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal points out:

In fact, Obama is insisting that a two-thirds majority is required to repeal ObamaCare. Hasn’t Dionne ever heard of the presidential veto?

The question is intended as rhetorical, but I for one would love to hear Dionne’s answer.

Related Articles

Cross-posted at the Examiner. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at [email protected] or by posting a comment below.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Funny how those indignation cues work.

I suppose Dionne has joined the Los Angeles Times in deploring the California law that for years has required a two-thirds majority of the legislature to raise the same taxes and fees. Oh, the humanity!

J.E. Dyer on March 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Every time Dionne writes another gormless meandering, I can feel national intelligence drop a few points. Thank God for George Will.

GT on March 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM

The problem I would have with such a thing is that it would seem to make it nearly impossible to flatten an overly progressive tax system — because it would be raising taxes on people who don’t pay anything.

Count to 10 on March 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Top Pick

Going for the record

Top Pick

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM