Green Room

Mark Levin puzzled by Ann Coulter’s bizarre endorsement of Chris Christie, who supports gun control, amnesty, Obamacare and climate legislation

posted at 9:16 pm on February 20, 2011 by

Cub Reporter Biff Spackle was kind enough to transcribe the following soliloquy by radio host Mark Levin last Monday night.

I want to politely address my dear friend — and she is my dear friend — Ann Coulter. We’ve had some email exchanges.

What is your great love of Chris Christie based on? The man supports gun control. The man appoints a radical Islamist to a judgeship. The man is for amnesty [for illegal aliens]. The man is, to some extent, part of the “green” movement. He campaigned for Michael Castle.

And it’s interesting. [Mitt] Romney is being attacked, correctly by the way, for RomneyCare. Yet here we have Obamacare, we have 28 states challenging it: 26 states in one suit; Virginia in another suit; Oklahoma in another suit — and New Jersey’s sitting on the sidelines.

Why? I cannot believe it’s the cost. Because I have offered, as have others, to do it for free. Just sign your name on a brief. That’s free. And yet Christie sits on the sidelines.

So he either supports [Obamacare] or I don’t know what. Maybe while Romney’s explaining RomneyCare, Christie can explain his [tacit support of] Obamacare.

But the idea that if we don’t back Christie, who’s already said he’s not qualified enough to be president, that Romney is the winner and that we were warned about McCain, is a little rewrite of history. Nobody was more against McCain than I. Then at the very end I said we had to vote for him to stop Obama. But I fought him every step of the way. Ask McCain’s people. They hate me. Feeling’s mutual!

Anyway, it’s a little bizarre to me. The way I see Chris Christie is he’s Christine Todd Whitman as a male. I do like his fiscal positions. I do like the way he deals with the public sector teachers’ unions. That’s all to the good.

But when you’re the president of the United States, you’ve got a whole lot of issues that affect a whole lot of people.

And it’s not good enough to be good on one out of 20. So this [obsession with Christie] I don’t get.

I agree completely. Christie has a number of troubling positions — some even outright bizarre — that seriously limit his acceptability as a GOP nominee. At least until he explains himself thoroughly on these issues.

Coulter isn’t usually off-key on these sorts of things: but she couldn’t be more wrong with her premature statements regarding Christie. Nominating another mushy centrist — and I count the governor of New Jersey as one, based upon his track record — will guarantee Barack Obama a victory in the general. And that we cannot accept if this Republic is to survive.

Image adapted from: Politico. Cross-posted at: Doug Ross @ Journal.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I said basically the same thing in a post’s comment section here earlier today, and I got the “You don’t live in NJ. You can’t possibly understand” line.

I wonder if the good people of Jersey will be snowed that much once Christie is up for re-election?

gryphon202 on February 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Christie is this century’s Rudy Giuliani, in that he came in to a gawdawful situation and has tackled the problems that previous administrations have refused to do.

He also has the same problem as Rudy in that just in order to get elected in N.J. and not get sidetracked on some issues that have more national than local significance, Christie has a number of positions and statements that would definitely cause him problems in a GOP presidential primary campaign. To me, they wouldn’t be deal breakers if he somehow was nominated to run against Obama, but I’m surprised Coulter doesn’t see the problem here (and IIRC, Ann had problems with Rudy’s ’08 presidential run because of some of his political positions that were to the left of the Republican mainstream).

jon1979 on February 21, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Ignore the center at your peril.

lexhamfox on February 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM

YEah!!! More Sharon Angle and Christine O’donnell, less Christie!

conservador on February 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM

jon1979 on February 21, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Gun grabbing? Cozying up to Hamas-linked Islamists? I’m not even sold on his reputation as a “union buster.” If he’s done so much to piss off the unions, how come we haven’t heard about demonstrations in the streets of Trenton?

gryphon202 on February 21, 2011 at 1:22 AM

YEah!!! More Sharon Angle and Christine O’donnell, less Christie!

conservador on February 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Here’s someone else who hasn’t learned the lessons of ’08. Enjoy your trip to Abilene, douchebag. I hear it’s really nice down there this time of year.

gryphon202 on February 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Ignore the center at your peril.

lexhamfox on February 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I thought we did a good job with them in the midterms. I think a better rule to remember would be, “Don’t ignore the base while you’re cozying up to the center.”

gryphon202 on February 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Palin showed in the last (’10) election that good conservative candidates can and will win and that turned out to be true all across the country. There were some blips with Angle and O’Donnell but those were more to do with those individual candidates than their being conservatives. And though Palin tried to help their campaigns, she didn’t endorse either one in the general elections. Now we have Allen West, Rubio, Martinez, Haley, and a whole host of others, now as incumbents, thanks to her. And look at the four I mentioned above. Color and ethnic origin very diverse. A democratic nightmare.

Palin is conceding nothing to the Dems. She is going after the Black and Latino vote as well as everybody else. And if you haven’t heard West speak and you’re a conservative it will be music to your ears. Forget Christie, check out West. It’s no wonder the conservative’s favorite pairing is Palin/West in 2012 for a major league Dem butt kicking.

shmendrick on February 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hey Gryphon, it must suck that Angle still has not announced for ’12. All that anxiety building up, asking whether or not she is running for Prez must be excruciating.

conservador on February 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM

conservador on February 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Hey douchebag — I already have my primary voting strategy planned out. Do you?

gryphon202 on February 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

He has said numerous times that he isn’t interested, or qualified. He has a big job to do in NJ. All of this will be thrown in his face by the dems if he does decide to run. Ann must have had too much (if that’s possible) chardonnay.

Kissmygrits on February 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

No mystery — Anne’s a chubby chaser.

Blake on February 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Mr.Levin, trying to figure out Ann Coulter is like banging your head against a brick wall – it’s pointless, and it feels good when you stop.

Dark-Star on February 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Christie is good against unions, makes some good speeches, has some good moments in front of the press, but is a RINO. I will NEVER vote for the man in a general election. I think I speak for a lot of people.

long_cat on February 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM

You’re all missing a key point.
Coulter is a woman.
Palin is a woman.
Women in general don’t endorse other women. It happens sometimes but they go against their own nature to do so. Reason is that all women are in competition against all other women.
Notice that the the vast majority of Palin criticism has come from (a) other women and (b) metrosexual men.

SunSword on February 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM