Green Room

Let’s Try this Again — Post-CPAC Straw Poll (Seriously, Don’t ACORN it.)

posted at 1:33 pm on February 13, 2011 by

I can appreciate everyone’s interest in promoting their candidates. I am not, however, keen on folks trying to vote multiple times to throw the results. It’s very, very easy to figure out if certain candidate backers are trying to stuff the ballot box, 1.) through the source of the vote, 2.) the combination of candidates chosen, particularly at the top of the ticket, and 3.) the timestamp on those votes. When people violate the clearly stated rules, their votes are removed from the published totals.

To reiterate: It is not to your advantage to try and fail to get more than one vote through; in fact, it hurts your candidate. I want this to be a fairly representative poll, but as I’ve indicated, there have been some real consequences to the ACORN-ing major candidate backers out there. (Side note: Whose backers are trying to game this poll is revealing in its own way.)

So we’re going to try this again. I’ve added three new candidates to the mix: Rudy Giuliani, Jon Huntsman, and Michele Bachmann. I’ve also added a pair of security questions to hopefully deter double-, triple-, or several-dozen-times-over voters. It’s already easy to find these voters; hopefully the security questions will make it less palatable to try it anyway.

I hope voters don’t try to game the system this time around. Please abide by the rules.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I voted the same way I did on the other poll, only one time!
L

letget on February 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

letget on February 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

ditto

cmsinaz on February 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

cmsinaz on February 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Me three.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

This is interesting on the cpac poll results if you would like to read it.

L

letget on February 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM

letget on February 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The first chart is missing important info on the number of participants who did not participate (number of votes/number of attendees). The poll is meaningless if a significant number of people don’t vote even within the pool of CPAC attendees.

lexhamfox on February 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Isn’t Bolton as much of a prospective candidate at Chris Christie, Rubio, and West, all of whom seem set on completing their current terms?

Y-not on February 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Palin must have won, and we just CAN’T have that!!

gary4205 on February 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I voted the same as I did the first time, only once.

hachiban on February 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I understand the mega annoyance factor of the Ronulans, but since there are security controls on this poll, and he is one of the few Rs that we know is running, I think Ron Paul should be on the lists. Otherwise it gives those folks, who are every bit as dedicated as others’ supporters, no option… or drives them to their second-choice candidate. It might artificially boost others’ numbers.

Y-not on February 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Y-not on February 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

There hasn’t been very much interest in Bolton from the free-form portions of the ballot, though I may include him in the next round.

Palin must have won, and we just CAN’T have that!!

gary4205 on February 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I’m sorry your default explanation seems to be “persecution.”

Y-not on February 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

As to Ronulans and other ACORN-ers, detecting is easy enough. It’s having to clean up their messes that’s frustrating. If the multiple-voting keeps up, I’ll just leave those candidates off the list next time. And there will be some surprises if that happens.

Patrick Ishmael on February 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

OK.

Sorry to nit-pick. This is a hard poll to do right now because so few candidates are declared and others, who say they aren’t interested buy might be drafted (such as Christie or Perry), have generated some enthusiastic support.

Bolton seems like a very logical VP candidate, not so much a POTUS candidate. (I’d probably put Petraeus in that category as well.)

Y-not on February 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Why can’t we vote for Ron Paul? Afraid he’ll win?

Just clarify this poll is for 2nd place then. You people are so silly. Enjoy the political theater while your country seeks economic collapse no matter the D or R in office…

iamse7en on February 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Done

Jeddite on February 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM

You seriously have Petreaus and Sanatorum on there, but not John Bolton?

Count to 10 on February 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Patrick Ishmael on February 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Since Hot Air refuses to post the results of the Townhall/Hot Air straw poll, the one Palin won going away, I think it’s a valid assumption!

I may be wrong about your poll, but past behavior shows a pattern. It’s not “persecution” It’s just observation of S.O.P.

gary4205 on February 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

gary4205 on February 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Is it? Because I distinctly remember running two straw polls here, resulting in Palin placing second in one and first in the other, more recent one.

So, yes, I think in the absence of the “pattern” of “behavior” you claim, I can only assume that your fixation on persecution is unreasonable, and now approaching offensive.

Patrick Ishmael on February 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM

This post has been promoted to HotAir.com.

Comments have been closed on this post but the discussion continues here.

Ed Morrissey on February 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM