Green Room

Chris Christie “Not Arrogant Enough” for POTUS Run

posted at 1:03 pm on January 17, 2011 by

We hope you’ll excuse the multitude of Chris Christie articles of late, but the man continues to fascinate me every time he shows up in the news. This time he was making the rounds of Sunday morning chat festivals and, during a stop at Fox News, had the refreshing question of whether or not he would be running for president put to him for only the 3,287th time. The resulting answer, referencing a previous Zogby poll showing some excellent prospects for him, was informative.

“The president can rest easy because the only guy who beats him in that poll isn’t running,” Christie said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“I have a commitment to my state,” he said, adding that he’d only been governor for a year and New Jersey’s problems still need fixing.

“You have to believe in your heart that you’re personally ready to be president and I’m not there,” Christie said. “I am not arrogant enough to believe that after one year as governor … that I am ready to be president of the United States.”

“So I’m not going to run,” the governor said.

It’s a fascinating answer, if only for the refreshing breath of humility and honesty coming out of the mouth of a politician. But was there perhaps more to his one off comment than meets the eye?

Jim Hoft seems to feel it was a thinly veiled dig at Barack Obama and his rather scanty resume at the time of his election. At the other end of the scale, Doug Mataconis thought he might be taking a shot at Sarah Palin, who only has a few months more time in the governor’s mansion than Christie to her credit.

I’m not sure it was either, frankly, and Christie doesn’t seem inclined to say. Once you become jaded enough to actually write about politics full time it’s relatively easy to ascribe sinister motives to anything politicians say or do. But I tend to think that Christie was just being Christie, as usual, and shooting from the hip about what’s on his mind. It’s not really a shocking opinion to feel that you might need a bit more seasoning than a single year in office before seeking the biggest brass ring in the land.

Christie also needs to deliver a lot of serious results in the very troubled state of New Jersey before he can walk away feeling like a good day’s work has been done. But if he manages to right the ship in the toxic political and economic climate of the Garden State, watch out. Should he decide he would like to be president in 2016, barring any serious disqualifying scandals in the interim, he could be a serious force to be dealt with.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yes, I will be the one to state the obvious, I hope y’all appreciate my martyrdom. We already have someone arrogant enough to be President without any experience at all doing anything at all. And what’s more, he wants to do it again.

jeanie on January 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I beg to differ. I think his constant grandstand fights demonstrate more than enough of an ego.

MadisonConservative on January 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

MadisonConservative on January 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

But you have to admit, most of his targe…er, enem…er, dammit, what’s that NewTone word I’m looking for, non-friendlies deserve the righteous public beatdow…there I go again, humiliation.

steveegg on January 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM

MadisonConservative on January 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

No! He has to take on the grandstands, to use your words, because those are the very thorny issues that are bringing NJ(and the rest of us)down. If they attract attention it’s inevitable. Can’t be helped. Go Christie—show us how it’s done.(except for the somewhat combative ‘no’–I think I’m making great strides on the civil discourse path)

jeanie on January 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM

MadisonConservative on January 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

In context of running for President, nope.

But all politicians in high public office – particularly executives – have to have some ego.

Goes with the territory. I mean, if you don’t believe you’re right, and stick to your guns because you believe you’re right and that the other side is wrong, you’re not much of a leader to begin with, and therefore, not much of an executive.

The problem comes when you’re wrong but you’re convinced you’re right :-)

Good Lt on January 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Your last sentence about 2016 is accurate, but discounts the possibility of a strong GOP POTUS finishing their first term & running for a second.

Obama may be reelected, leaving the field open for a GOP challenger in 2016, but I hope he isn’t.

cs89 on January 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I can’t wait for the “President Taft” references. >.<

Cheesecakecrush on January 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Why can’t this guy think straight, sans “half analysis”?

Many conservatives are now believing on the importance of HASTE and LIMIT TO TENURE!

Jazz Shaw … list down the major accomplishments of the wannabes divided by the length of service!

Then make an unbiased analysis!

Geesh … you’re nothing but a “few of this, a few of that” commentator, just to make a “not-so-meritorious” point.

Waste of bandwidth!

TheAlamos on January 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM

This post has been promoted to HotAir.com.

Comments have been closed on this post but the discussion continues here.

Allahpundit on January 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM