Green Room

Kicking off the 2012 campaign on the shoulders of the dead

posted at 10:30 am on January 13, 2011 by

Everyone is buzzing about the Tucson pep rally memorial service yesterday. The consensus seems to be that Obama was presidential and gave a wonderful speech that hit all the right notes. Ed Morrissey went so far as to say it might be the finest moment of his presidency. Rich Lowry called it a magnificent performance. Jim Hoft said it was the best speech he’s ever given. William Jacobsen called it a good speech, better in writing than in delivery. Charlie Martin was pleasantly surprised at the tone of the speech. And on and on and on. The overwhelming response seems to be fawning praise. It’s so amazing! The president gave a good speech! How wonderful!

I disagree.

Everything I saw at that memorial service last night disgusted me. First, there was the fact that this event, which was supposed to be a memorial service, was given a slogan. It was branded. The brand was stamped all over university buses preceding the event to advertise, as well as free t-shirts handed out to people who attended the service.

Oh, and the concession stands were open, too. Because you can’t pay your respects to those murdered by a madman without a large Coke and some popcorn, right?

Yet we’re somehow surprised at the pep rally-like atmosphere? Please. Add in some styrofoam Greek columns and you’d have Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention all over again. The disgusting, disrespectful whooping and cheering was infuriating — but not surprising. Obama played into it. Not once did he ask for solemnity or respect. Instead, he basked in the blow of the fawning adoration he’s undoubtedly missed since being elected. (Michelle points out that the raucous atmosphere was shockingly missing during President Bush’s memorial service after the Virginia Tech massacre.)

Best moment of his presidency? That says a lot more about how awful our president is than it does about how wonderful his speech was. It’s sad that we are so drawn into mere words that we ignore all actions. Giving a good speech does not make one a good leader, but judging by the reaction to Obama’s speech last night, we have apparently forgotten that little fact.

And for an event that, according to Obama himself, was supposed to be about “unity”, there was shockingly little present. Jan Brewer was booed as she spoke. The mayor of Tucson, for some strange reason, was not invited to speak, apparently because it was more important to hear from Obama’s cabinet members. The unity only applies to certain people, I guess. And his Democrat buddies certainly have wasted no time ignoring the call to unity — they’ve gone right back to attack and smear mode. Will Obama continue the call for unity while his bullies in the mainstream media continue on their merry little way? I’m not going to hold my breath. His speeches might sound pretty, but they don’t change anything.

This wasn’t a memorial service. It was a campaign speech. Have we really forgotten the 2008 campaign already? This event tonight was identical to nearly every stump speech he gave while campaigning to be president, right down to the soaring oratory. This is why I’m a little confused as to why so many on the right are so excited that Obama gave a good speech. Why is that something to be so amazed by? His speechwriters wrote a nice speech for him, and he read it off of his teleprompters magnificently. It meant nothing. The call for unity was as shallow as virtually every other platitude he came up with in virtually every speech he gave while running for president. I halfway expected the crowd to start chanting, yes we can! If anything, this speech should serve as a low point. Obama allowed what should have been a somber memorial service for the nation to pay our respects to the dead turn into a pep rally, and I think we’ve all got a sneaking suspicion why.

Follow Cassy on Twitter and read more of her work at CassyFiano.com and Hard Corps Wife.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

We didn’t watch because from other events bho has done, we almost knew what would be going on. I have read many articles about the ‘memorial’ and posts on blogs. My thoughts and prayers were with the killed and wounded, not those speaking or those there, that from what I have read, were not acting as if they were at such an event. bho was there to ‘heal’ the country? I heal myself, not from words of bho.
L

letget on January 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

The President is ‘known’ for his good speeches. It’s all people have talked about from him since 2004. So he gave a great speech. So what?

Did anyone feel he meant what he was saying? Admittedly, i didn’t watch the whole speech, but in the few clips I’ve seen, I didn’t get that feeling at all. As you say, he read the words from the teleprompter, turned his head in a well-practiced manner – as he’s done with every speech he’s ever given.

When Reagan spoke at the memorial for the Challenger explosion, when Bush talked at the 9/11 memorial or the Virginia Tech memorial, you could feel they meant what they said. Not so in what I’ve heard (not read in a transcript).

And he gave a wave to the crowd as he left the stage? WTF?! That isn’t the act of a person mourning or in mourning. It was the exact capper to a campaign speech.

catmman on January 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Thank God. I thought I was the only one with any sanity left.
Over at NRO they’re practically up to admiring pants creases and getting thrills up their legs.

This was not a great speech. It was an adequate speech, and it WAS a campaign speech. It was also all about Obama, which meant the tone was completely wrong.

More later. Off to lunch with my daughter and am late.

Chris of Rights on January 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I thought The Whine’s speech itself was fine. Just about everything else though was weird, if not downright creepy. Souvenir t-shirts? Cheering?

I doubt Dear Liar had any hand in the organizing of the event, aside from helping on His speech. I was glad to see Him reading from notes rather than a teleprompter. But the organizers should be ashamed. The university president missed the opportunity to keep it solemn. I’ll even forgive the opening invocation — odd, but I guess they do things different in Arizona.

rbj on January 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Thank you! Vintage Obama (Or as I call him, Ibama, “I” being his favorite pronoun) reading his ‘prompter, sounding all oratorial and signifying nothing at all. He does not mean anything he says, and people keep being fooled into thinking that he does. Campaign 2012 started last night. It’s what he does.

TeeDee on January 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Finally, someone here shows some perception.

I know many say it was a well-written speech, but I disagree even about that. It was hackwork, a kind of Internet-free “SEO” production that tried to push all the right meme-buttons but instead buried them in excessive length.

The delivery was vintage Osama Obama. I’m convinced that man could turn the Gettysburg Address into self-promotion.

Ed Morrissey must think he’s “analytical” and “fair.” Nope, he’s just another squish, wanting to believe the best of everyone, no matter how reprehensible they (and their actions) are, wanting to be part of the “in-crowd” of political junkies who see all this as a big game.

It’s not a game.

MrScribbler on January 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Up is down on parade last night. Using the occasion of the memorial to 6 people who were murdered to kick off a political campaign is what we should have expected from the organizer in chief. Most of that speech was boiler plate delivered by an eloquent reader.

Kissmygrits on January 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM

It was a good speech and he did a credible job as Chief of State rather than politician despite the audience’s behavior. This was nothing like the Wellstone funeral.

So you think that was a campaign speech? Keep howling at the moon.

lexhamfox on January 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Thank you, Cassy, you hit this one right on the head.

The pep rally atmosphere was very interesting. I had to keep checking the banner at the bottom of the screen to convince myself that everyone knew it was supposed to be a memorial event. Given the open concessions and the souvenir t-shirts, I’m not sure everyone did.

A decent speech, but right in line with what his speechwriter’s can deliver. Nothing in his words sounded as though they came from his heart. And his dependence on the notebook on the podium pretty much affirm that.

(Speaking of which, it seems to me that Obama has been reading paper notes at the last few speeches I’ve seen. Maybe his handlers finally heard how lame the teleprompters’ are. But I find it only slightly less annoying visually: now instead of looking like he’s at a tennis match, he looks like a bobblehead. He needs to practice memorizing and delivering speeches if he doesn’t want to get nailed on this during the campaign.)

The problem is, rather than being upset at Obama about this whole farce, I actually pity the guy. It seems like somebody from AZ thought they would throw this ‘event’, invited the President to speak at it, thinking it would be a great way to showcase how caring and presidential Obama is. I honestly don’t think Obama had any control over how the event was developed; it was too well organized for that. But what else would you expect from his syncophants?

The saddest part was that Obama doesn’t have the character or class to put an end to the adulation. Who in his life has ever taught him? He’s either been around people who tell him how ‘wonderful’ he is, or surrounded by creeps who wanted nothing more than to indoctrinate him into their perverse lives and cultural attitudes.

Last night, as I watched Obama speeking words of humility with his chin jutted into the air, all I could see was a defiant little boy; not a statesman and not a leader. So why can we expect him to do something as presidential as quieting the audience? It’s all he knows and it’s what he needs.

gobblemom on January 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

So you think that was a campaign speech? Keep howling at the moon.

lexhamfox on January 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

So you won’t be putting your Tucson Tragedy t-shirt up on ebay?

Roy Rogers on January 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

good point….nappy and holder over the mayor of tucson…

cmsinaz on January 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I thought the speech was quite decent. The rest was creepy creeperton….
Overall, it left a bad taste in my mouth because of the extraneous details. The T-shirts, the concession stands, etc.

I can’t even imagine my family doing that when my cousin killed himself or my uncle died. There would have been H*ll to pay… Because it’s just so classless.

mjk on January 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM

EXCELLENT blog post. I couldn’t agree more with everything you have said here, Cassy. I thought I was the only one, but apparently there are many of us who feel this way.

Indy82 on January 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Well said. I was cringing while listening to the cheers. It was not a rock concert. Everyone described Obama as above the fray. Thanks for pointing out that it was about him, again.

shooten on January 13, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I just saw a brief clip of Obama’s own speech on the news. After spending the afternoon making fun of the tee-shirts, the college teenyboppers, Napolitano and Holder etc, I was assured by fellow conservatives that Obama’s speech itself was somehow transcendent.

But the brief clip I saw was of Obama shouting at the top of his lungs, roaring out an apparently central point of the speech, while the crowd cheered and hollered. The tone was that of the climactic moment in a campaign rally, absolutely not the kind of tone that fit the words of the written speech.

Again, I’m in the “actions speak louder than words” camp, but even if you’re impressed by words, the tone matters doesn’t it?

joe_doufu on January 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I saw that travesty last night, and the apparent approval by members of the conservative media has utterly appalled me. Are they that stupid?

I was immeasurably offended by the whole thing. Nobody gave a snap of his fingers about the victims or their families. It was all about Obama and his slavering fans.

Ugh.

hachiban on January 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Thank God. I thought I was the only one with any sanity left.

Chris of Rights

that’s not something about which you should worry.If you want to join Fiano in expressing disgust at an adequate speech and cast about in hope of finding offense, not at all should you worry about alone possessing sanity.

audiculous on January 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Damn. Straight.

Cylor on January 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Thank you watching the pep/campaign rally so I didn’t have to.

oldleprechaun on January 14, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Interestingly enough the “theme” of the ‘memorial’ comes from an article written in 2008 that is posted on Obama’s Organizing for America website by John Berry IV.

There is an article published today at American Thinker that further explains this.

Really? We’re suppose to believe this wasn’t known by the administration of the White House. Give me a break!

lyfsatrip on January 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Only a fool like Craphummer would consider the speech as a memorial.

EVEN THE APPLAUSE WAS CHOREOGRAPHED/INSTRUCTED? AND GIBBS WAS LYING THAT THEY DIDN’T EXPECT THE APPLAUSE?

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

DEMINT/PALIN/DEMINT 2012!

TheAlamos on January 16, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Okey. Maybe I’m unfair to Obama.

After all, Obama didn’t use the fake Greek Columns this time. Maybe that’s the reason why even the Right columnists and Fox-Going-To-Left gave Obama an A+.

Ooooopppppppps…. BUT WHO WOULD NEED GREEK COLUMNS IF OBAMA HAD 6 DEAD PEOPLE AS HIS PROPS?

[APPLAUSE]