Green Room

A Merry Christmas Open Thread That’s Made Of Awesome….

posted at 1:09 pm on December 18, 2010 by

Christmas is my very favorite time of year. Why? Well, I think that Ebenezer Scrooge’s nephew, Fred Holywell, nailed it with regard to why Christmas is such a special time of year when he said the following:

There are a great many things from which I have derived good, from which I have not profited, Christmas among the rest. But I’ve always thought of Christmastime as a good time, a kindly, forgiving, charitable time; a time when men and women seem, by one consent, to open their shut-up hearts freely to their fellow creatures. So though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver into my pocket, I do believe that it has done me good, and I say “God bless it.”

So, in the spirit of Mr. Holywell’s sentiment, I would like to provide six of my all time favorite Christmas videos just to put everyone in the Christmas spirit.

Pretty much everyone remembers the hilarious Saturday Night Live skit where Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, Chris Kattan and Tracy Morgan sing “I Wish it Was Christmas Today”. Well, the video below shows Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz starting off the song, but then Julian Casablancas of The Strokes finishes off the song. What is so amazing about this video, is that it demonstrates how a silly little ditty can become an awesome song just by having a cool rock star donning shades–accompanied by a great band like The Roots–singing it.

Next on my list of favorite Christmas videos, is this one of Andy Williams singing “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” (my all time favorite Christmas song). Just the decorations alone in the video make it worth watching, even if you don’t like the song.

Now, comes the theme songs from my two favorite Christmas specials–A Charlie Brown Christmas Special and How The Grinch Stole Christmas. First up is “Christmas Time is Here” from A Charlie Brown Christmas Special. Interesting anecdote here–Linus’ speech about what “the true meaning of Christmas is” was almost cut from the show. (Hat tip to Robert Stacy McCain for the video.)

Oh, and here is the video of Linus’ famous speech about the true meaning of Christmas. It still brings a tear to my eye.

Next, here comes “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Interesting anecdote here–even though Boris Karloff was the voice of the Grinch, actor Thurl Ravenscroft actually sang the theme song.

And finally, here is my favorite clip from A Christmas Carol (my all time favorite Christmas movie), with George C. Scott brilliantly playing the role of Ebeneezer Scrooge.

So, in conclusion, I hope that everyone enjoyed the entertainment. However, before I go, I would just like to leave you all with the words of Ebeneezer Scrooge:

“Merry Christmas to everybody–and a Happy New Year to the world!!”

Cross-posted at The Minority Report, Right Wing News and Hillbillypolitics.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Heh. We have a family tradition of watching all the Christmas classics every year.

Dark-Star on December 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, we do too–obviously. (LOL.)

Have a Merry Christmas!! :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Love this time of year. Of course, living vicariously through my twin 4-yr old girls makes it especially fun.

The one holiday song that I’ve enjoyed over the years is Michael Crawford’s rendition of “O Holy Night” from David Foster’s Christmas Album. Dude just lets lose and belts. Sends shivers up and down my spine when I hear it.

Neo-con Artist on December 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Whoa–I think that’s the best version of “O Holy Night” that I’ve ever heard. Thanks so much for sharing it. I’ll be sure to use it in my Christmas open thread next year.

Take care, and have a Merry Christmas!! :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Not having children, we have never watched the cartoon Christmas movies. We do watch ALL the old movies about Christmas. I love watching them, it make me feel so good!
Merry Christmas and a wish for a great 2011 Susannah. This goes for all here at HA also.
L

letget on December 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Thank you so much Letget. May I also wish you a Merry Christmas and a great 2011.

Take care. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Countdown ’till anyone who types, “Merry Christmas” gets harassed and threatened with “possible concern” for “safety”…

Merry Christmas, Hot Air’urrs.

Lourdes on December 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Religion, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Lourdes on December 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM

“Chin up, atheists, just stare at your black-background websites until the calendar pages change.”….

LOL. That’s hilarious! Have a Merry Christmas Lourdes (and everyone else at HA).

Take care. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Susannah (what a lovely name, my mother’s is Suzanne) You have excellent taste; The 1984 Christmas is the best, an absolute delight. The scene after the one you showed is even better, where Scrooge wins over Fred’s skeptical but loving wife with his newfound cheer and care.

Merriest of Christmases to you, my good woman, God bless you.

thebrokenrattle on December 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Brokenrattle, what a lovely comment! Thank you so much for the kind words. And yes, I love the scene where Scrooge wins over Fred’s wife. In fact, I love the entire movie. (George C. Scott is the best Scrooge evah!)

God Bless you, and have a Merry Christmas!! :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Neo-con Artist on December 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Thank you very much for that. I’d forgotten what a lovely hymn it is, and how it was meant to be sung.

rrpjr on December 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

My two favorite versions of A Christmas Carol are the Alistair Sims one, and the Muppet Christmas Carol (which was unexpectedly very moving).

I always chuckle whenever Lucy asks for real estate for Christmas in the Charlie Brown Christmas special (as it is a reference to my other favorite Christmas film Miracle on 34th Street)

It’s my favorite time of year, have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!

DrAllecon on December 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM

rrpjr on December 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

You’re very welcome!! But, the credit goes to Susannah for setting the table with the Christmas thread. I just wanted to contribute what little “awesome” I could.

LOL… I’m still amazed that Michael Crawford can keep his suit coat buttoned through the last half of the song when he really let’s loose.

Neo-con Artist on December 19, 2010 at 3:05 AM

DrAllencon,

I like pretty much every version of A Christmas Carol that I’ve seen; however, I think that George C. Scott really captured Ebeneezer Scrooge the best. He played him as a tough, alpha male, but at the same time, he seemed pathetic (that’s hard to do). I found myself rooting for Ebeneezer Scrooge hoping that the spirits would get through to him, instead of hating him for being so mean-spirited (which is how I think Dickens wanted us to feel with regard to Scrooge).

Oh, and thank you Neo-con artist for contributing that beautiful hymn. Anyone else who wants to contribute their own piece of Christmas awesome, feel free. That’s what this thread is set up for.

Merry Christmas to everybody–and a Happy New Year to the world!! :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Susannah,
Both hubby and I love c/w music being we live in TX. I have a song many probably have not heard that is my favorite c/w Christmas song. It is by Garth Brooks, ‘The Gift’. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I can not listen without crying.

L

letget on December 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Letget,

Thank you for giving us the gift of that beautiful song. I really appreciate it.

Take care, and have a Merry Christmas. :-)

X0X0, Suzi

Susannah Fleetwood on December 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I’ve always liked George C. Scott, and his performance in A Christmas Carol was excellent. I also love classics like There Once Was A Christmas That Almost Wasn’t which they just don’t show that much anymore.

Thanks for such a fun thread!

Merry Christmas!

DrAllecon on December 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Thanks for such a fun thread!

You are quite welcome. I’m happy that you liked my post and that you took the time to comment.

I also love some classics that they don’t play anymore, like Meet Me in St. Louis and The Little Drummer Boy (that one’s a tearjerker). Next year I’m going to add “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas” from Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (that’s one of my favorites as well).

Take care, and have a Merry Christmas!! :-)

X0X0, Suzi