Green Room

And the 2010 HARRY Award goes to…

posted at 8:40 pm on December 4, 2010 by

A big thanks to everyone that participated in this First Annual HARRY balloting. In 24 hours, over 4000 readers cast their ballots for the best and worst of the 2010 political season. So, who’s the Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year?

Like any good awards ceremony, we’ll start off with the minor categories.

Hot Air Story of the Year

Beating out its nearest competitor by more than a three-to-one margin, the blog post Video: Chris Christie destroys reporter for calling him confrontational takes home the inaugural HASY Trophy, snatching up 40% of the vote in the six-way race. This year’s runner-up is “Dingell: It will take a while for ObamaCare to ‘control the people’.” Rounding out the top 3 — “Dem congressman: If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over.” (Be sure to search the Archives yourself for some of the other oldie-but-goodies.)

Favorite Topic of the Year

What pushed readers’ buttons? It looks like anything and everything Chris Christie was welcome content, with posts relating to the current New Jersey governor capturing the only majority answer for the question (51%). Christie was more popular than posts on The economy and even Sarah Palin. Following Opinion pieces and Campaign coverage, Ed’s Obamateurisms clearly struck the right chord with visitors to Hot Air, rounding out the clearly popular categories. Not so popular? Posts about Christine O’Donnell, Robots, and Religion.

Preferred Vice Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

Taking the prize for Best Politician Hopefully in a Supporting Role, Florida Senator-elect Marco Rubio topped the vice presidential list by a squeaker over crowd favorite Chris Christie, 564 votes to 523 votes. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal came in a close third with 517 votes. Taking fourth, fifth, and sixth were Congressman Paul Ryan, former Governor Sarah Palin, and Florida Congressman-elect Allen West, in that order. (Note Palin and West; we’ll get back to them in a moment.)

And now, performance art.

Moving on.

In the category of Least Liked Topic We Specifically Polled Anyway, readers by a resounding 67% to 16% favored Christine O’Donnell over Mike Castle in their 2010 Delaware primary match-up. As for supporting a rematch with her as the nominee in 2014, readers were… less enthusiastic.

Hot Air readers are decidedly opposed to Republican candidates for President attending Politico’s Spring debate, generally preferring that the candidates refrain from participating in such an event until the end of the year.

So, back to the candidates themselves: When they cast their votes, what qualities were Hot Air readers looking for in their preferred candidate for President?

Preferred Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

And the winner for Best Politician in a Hopefully Leading Role is Sarah Palin, beating Chris Christie handily and in a substantial reversal from the last poll we took at Hot Air on the topic. Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, and Mitt Romney round out the list at three, four and five.

Worth noting here is that while the “most popular President-VP ticket” would seem to be Palin-Rubio based on the results, that pairing was not the most common pairing explicitly given by Hot Air readers.

I’ve prepared a chart to help explain this. Down the left hand column is the preferred President of readers, with the highlighted box signaling which VP candidate was paired with him or her most frequently. So, Palin supporters chose Allen West most often as their VP choice. In contrast, the most popular pairing where Rubio was the VP on a ticket was when Chris Christie was the choice for President. Interesting stuff to me.

A look back at those we lost this year

Assuming there were that many, of course. Personally, I think the following groups won more Republican seats than they “lost,” but Hot Air readers have a decidedly more mixed, and basically negative, opinion of these organizations: the NRCC and NRSC.

Readers may not have liked these organizations, but they did like at least one person. A lot. In fact, so much so that this person is…

The Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year

And the HARRY goes to…

Sarah Palin. It wasn’t particularly close, either. Lots of voters commented that while they couldn’t vote for her for President, she was undoubtedly the biggest Republican mover and shaker of 2010. When I argued last year that the then-former governor Palin ought to “run for Congress” in 2010, I believed that she would play an enormously important role in winning back Republican seats. I noted at the time,

[W]hile Palin’s resignation certainly risks her own personal ambitions for higher office, it also opens up her hand to do the some of the free-wheeling, unfiltered campaigning she couldn’t do last year, with the prime beneficiary the center-right cause. If Palin wants to strengthen her political future, I can’t think of a better way to do it.

Obviously, not all of the 63 seats I predicted Republicans would take were directly a result of her interventions, but Palin drove much of the political conversation over the last 18 months. That’s not an easy feat for a typical politician, but Sarah Palin is not your typical politician. Whatever you think of the Mama Grizzly, you have got to respect her tenaciousness.

She got my vote, and clearly a lot — and I mean a lot – of Hot Air readers cast their ballots likewise.

That concludes this First Annual HARRY Awards ceremony. Hope you enjoyed it. I’m on Twitter. And I’ll leave you with this diddy as a parting tribute to the most endangered among us:

Until next post.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

nwsseeker on December 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM

☺ Now, now, be nice.

For Presidential candidate Palin, you want Doctor Zero. Symbology, beautiful phrases, love of America etc.

For the generic VP candidate (except for LtCol West), you need strong attack speeches. AP; when RINOs attack! Dude, AP writes mil-spec snark.

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I’m so happy to be among so many like minded posters.

I think I’m gonna cry.

Kini on December 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Gotta agree Doc Zero’s probably the best for speechwriting, but for snark gotta give it to AP. I was thinking more about getting him out front of the cameras and watching him squirm a bunch.

nwsseeker on December 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM

gives the government power to limit school bake sales and other fundraisers….”

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I saw that yesterday. First the light bulbs and now bake sales. If I weren’t actually living through this nightmare, I wouldn’t believe it. That bill has Mrs. Annointed One’s fingerprints all over it.

TxAnn56 on December 4, 2010 at 11:15 PM

nwsseeker on December 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Just get him a date with Meghan MacCain. That will do it.

Goodnight all.

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Well, it was even worse than that for Christie.

Quite a few more people voted in this poll than the last one. Add yet, Christie’s vote total DECLINED substantially. Same story for Daniels and Huckabee, but not as severe as Christie’s decline. Seems like all three are fading.

Norwegian on December 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Hey Patrick, what about an electoral map like you did for the last poll?

Norwegian on December 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Hey Patrick, what about an electoral map like you did for the last poll?

Norwegian on December 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I suspect Patrick’s a little too butt-hurt after this poll to do something like that.

VidOmnia on December 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Huckabee got a whole 1%? Wow.

VidOmnia on December 4, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Finally an election where I actually won some!

Okay, I know it was just a survey, but I live in California. Nuff said. :)

Bob's Kid on December 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM

VidOmnia on December 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Do explain.

Patrick Ishmael on December 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Christie’s loud mouth is getting old. The rolling of the eyes showed what the fat slob was really all about.

No character.

oldyeller on December 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Then take heart. She’s not for amnesty.

powerpro on December 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Alright good. I just remember back in 2008 when she talked up a “pathway to citizenship.”
If she’s changed her mind about it then I’m glad.

Grayson on December 4, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Do explain.

Patrick Ishmael on December 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM

OK – Ishmael prediction, 2009:

whether Palinistas like it or not, she’s not ready to head up the GOP ticket, at least in so far as the Palin political climate is concerned.

Same crap as all the GOP “pundits” have been saying. It must burn that she still tops the GOP polls despite all the predictions of her demise.

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Nope, it doesn’t.

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Hey, even AllahPundit got a vote for ROTY

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Nope, it doesn’t.

Patrick Ishmael on December 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM

OK, apologies – provided you tell us who your 2012 guy is. Seems like all the people slamming Palin never seem willing to offer any alternatives.

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Christie’s loud mouth is getting old.

oldyeller on December 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM

No, Christie is what New Jersey has needed for a long time.

Christie and New Jersey, Perfect Together.

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM

No, Christie is what New Jersey has needed for a long time.

Christie and New Jersey, Perfect Together.

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Yes, Stay in NJ.

oldyeller on December 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Awesome results.

Do we have any conspiracy theories on the vote totals? Have the votes been certified? Those damn Palinistas.

Palin/West… Please let this happen.

I think Christie will do better in future elections. He should look at 2020 or 2024. He just doesn’t have the experience yet to be qualified. If Palin is questioned then Christie has no hope. Does he have a full year of governing in yet? Ha Ha!!!

Anyway, great poll.

chief on December 5, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Wow. We really are going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again, huh.

Murf76 on December 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Patrick,

What was the demographics breakdown?
Part of your survey was State location.

Kini on December 5, 2010 at 12:48 AM

One thing Patrick (and many others) seems to disregard is that Palinistas never forget.

For instance, Jazz Shaw will forever be remembered for his contemptuous and condescending review of “Sarah Palin’s Alaska”.

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I’m for Christie. He’s got charisma and crossover appeal and he’s a straight shooter. Some may not favor him, sure, but they know exactly why. He’s not waffling or weaseling about who he is and what he stands for. Take it or leave it.

I do like Palin, especially for her effect on all the right suspects. She says jump and the lefty bedwetters don’t even stop long enough to say “how high?”

But my choice right now for Chief Executive would be Christie. He’s had a long, accomplished career in the grinding, unforgiving trenches of corrupt cronyist New Jersey of all places. He is what he is. I like him, fat and all.

Christie is one of us. A lot of Americans will think so too.

Gilda on December 5, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Gilda on December 5, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Christie is a non-starter in the base due to his over-the-top disrespectful treatment of Palin. I’m sure he could get the RINO vote but Palinistas would likely stay home.

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:03 AM

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:03 AM

I understand the hurt feelings of the Palinistas but I don’t share them. I’m not so intimately involved with any candidate that I take the normal, expected and healthy discourse personally. YMMV.

I say, let all of us individually decide. I like Christie. I also like Palin but not as much. You disagree, great, fine, let’s put our candidates to the test.

If Palin bested Christie in a fair primary/nomination fight then I’d support her. She’s not my fave but I do like her much more than any Democrat, much more than Obama. I’d happily vote for her.

Would Palinistas do the same for Christie under the reversed circumstances? You imply that they’re so immature and petty that they’d petulantly stay home instead.

Sad, that.

Gilda on December 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Congratulations to those who picked Rubio/West or West/Rubio as their favorite ticket. Technically, both could run from the same state, Florida, but only one could earn Florida’s electoral votes.

Amendment XII:

“The electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves . . .”

Emperor Norton on December 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Madre de Dios.

Asher on December 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Sad, that.

Gilda on December 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Perhaps if Christie would demonstrate some maturity regarding Palin, the favor could be returned.

Has Palin ever slammed another contender? Is she the only one who follows the Gipper’s Eleventh Commandment and shows respect?

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Until Christie apologizes for his idiotic eye-rolling and equivocating about Palin on late-night TV, or alternatively makes a full-throated compliment of her publicly…that bastard can burn in hell before I’ll ever cast a vote for him.

I won’t vote for Obama but I won’t vote for Christie either unless Palin endorses him (which would make me assume he made nice behind the scenes.)

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:49 AM

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:03 AM

My issue with Christie has nothing to do with my appreciation of Palin. I wasn’t thrilled with his response…but we’re not always going to agree with everything a person feels about Sarah Palin. That’s fine and I can live with that.

My problem is that he seems to be wrong on some pretty key issues. And the CEO of America just has to be on the right side of issues like immigration reform, cap and trade and such.

So, with no disrespect to Gov. Christie, I think he should stay put and keep taking it to the unions and corruptocrats in New Jersey.

But then my understanding is that he really and truly means it when he says he’s not interested in running or being a VP. I’ve heard politicians deny they’re running before, and then change their minds of course… but I’ve never heard one say that they didn’t know what to do short of committing suicide to get people to believe they aren’t running for President. lol

powerpro on December 5, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Well said. Chris Christie behaves more like a BlueDog Democrat… heck even BDD’s would be more skeptical about immigration “reform”, cap and tax etc.. Christie comes from a dyed in the wool liberal state and it is unrealistic to expect anything more out of him.

His union bashing schtick has become boring and ineffective. But he can be funny, i give him props for that. His comments on Palin were in poor taste and tells me that he has had a fallout with her over her offer to campaign for him in NJ elections.

nagee76 on December 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Hmmm. I see AP voted for himself as Repub of the year.

Just funnin’, AP. Just funnin’.

JimP on December 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM

nagee76 on December 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM

the really sad thing was that not more than a week before christie said what he said and did his eyeroll thing the two were seen together at a sporting event appear like each respected the other. talk about backstapping. If you have that much disrepect for a person and her accomplishments why would you be seen with her and play nice to her face then act like that a week later. It showed a big character default IMO. gov Palin OTOH when asked about Christie’s comments act with class and never said a bad thing about him. In fact she complimented him.

when it comes to class and character Palin beats chrisite by a country mile.

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM

1) As a New Englander, I have no problem with Christie giving it to the unions with both barrels. Indeed if there was a TV channel with nothing but Christie putting his foot into the unions backside I would watch it pretty much 24/7.

Perhaps some of you folks don’t know how bad it is in a true blue union state with dem idiots at the helm. CT is 3.5 billion in the hole and the new dem idiot governor is already making noises about not cutting services AND having free collage for illegal’s!

I’m tired of R’s being the nice guys and reasonable and bending over for the dems every 5 mins when they start howling. About time someone with a spine started giving them a backhand as required.

2) HUGE Palin fan, I don’t have a problem with what Christe said about Palin. He is a governor of a wicked blue state (one of the bluest of blue right?) and I imagine there are some subjects he has to tread softly on time to time in public.

The Public has to be reeducated about Sarah since the only impression most of them have is from the lamestream media. She and others will continue to raise her profile and opinion with the general public as 2012 comes closer…

I think Christe would make a great vice prez or AG, have to do a wait and see on the top spot and see how NJ shakes out first.

gdonovan on December 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Why this obsession with Palin?

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Why this obsession with Palin?

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

First, please explain why you think it is an “obsession” rather than simply a preference.

Fallon on December 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Amendment XII:

Emperor Norton on December 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I always thought the XII Amendment meant that the team running for Pres & VP had to be from different states, so there would be a problem with every state’s Electoral votes, not just Florida’s. If anyone reading is well versed in the Constitution, would you please weigh in and comment?

Red State State of Mind on December 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Why this obsession with Palin?

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

In addition, Palin has driven the political debate since President Obama has taken office. She, more than any other Republican, has been a philosophical counter-point to Barack Obama, and really, to the establishment Republicans in Washington, D.C.

Her book deserves to be read on all these grounds. And anyone who claims to be an intellectual but refuses to engage intellectually by refusing to read her book deserves to be ignored.
To the book.

You know how your mom told you that in polite company one does not discuss sex, politics and religion, and for good modern measure, race? Evidently, no one had that conversation with Governor Sarah Palin. Her book covers all the unspeakables and takes the issues on in her characteristically direct manor.

The tone of the book is refreshingly open. That is, she addresses many challenging and politically incorrect topics with alacrity. Her opinions will make many people angry, once they summon the gumption to read them. Her opinions will force other politicians to answer difficult questions, should the press have the gumption to ask them.

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Red State State of Mind on December 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

i thought so too. It was placed there to ensure one pwoerful state did not control the entire nation IMO. Or in other words it was intended to make the concept of a “city-state” or in this case a “state-state”

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Red State State of Mind on December 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

unseen on December 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I believe this is correct. Didn’t Dick Cheney change his residency from Texas to Wyoming so he would not be from the same state as Bush?

Greyledge Gal on December 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Fallon

I thought his question was odd too.

I find peoples unbending defense of “The Won” beyond reason. Anyone who looked at his record, friends and upbringing should have run screaming in the other direction as fast as feet would have carried them.

Instead they voted the fool and his gaffetastic sidekick into the highest office in the land!

/snark

Boy we really dodged a bullet with that snowbilly chick eh?

/snark off

Palin walks the talk, that’s what appeals to me. Like Ronald Magnus she doesn’t talk down this nation but praises it as the shining city on the hill and gives thanks to God.

And makes no apologies for it.

Obama would cast this nation into a pit and is doing his best to make it so.

gdonovan on December 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Why this obsession with Palin?

Send_Me on December 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Yeah. HA commenters are obsessed with Palin.

They are not listening to the most erudite and experienced ones like the Bushites.

So … why not get obsessed with Romney for a change, right?

Or Huck, maybe?

What’s your obsession by the way? he he he!

TheAlamos on December 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM

What was the voter breakout – how many were conservatives, liberals, etc…?

Stevel on December 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Gilda on December 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM

What is fair and unfair about a primary fight?

Also I think Christie is too publicity type guy. I don’t think he is going to make it, if he decides to run. However I agree with your fundamental premise. Primaries will tell. Not a great deal of hope though. Remember last time “My Friends Maverick” did not turn out so good :-)

antisocial on December 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Woohooo! Sarah wins…:)

dec5 on December 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM

You really think you’re entitled to s**t, don’t you?

MadisonConservative on December 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM

VidOmnia on December 5, 2010 at 2:49 AM

…and next up, we’ll discuss the cultist…

MadisonConservative on December 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM

This was really a fun poll. I am happy to see a vast number of others voted as I did. I hope we have more polls like this one a bit later.
L

letget on December 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM

…and next up, we’ll discuss the cultist…

MadisonConservative on December 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM