Green Room

And the 2010 HARRY Award goes to…

posted at 8:40 pm on December 4, 2010 by

A big thanks to everyone that participated in this First Annual HARRY balloting. In 24 hours, over 4000 readers cast their ballots for the best and worst of the 2010 political season. So, who’s the Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year?

Like any good awards ceremony, we’ll start off with the minor categories.

Hot Air Story of the Year

Beating out its nearest competitor by more than a three-to-one margin, the blog post Video: Chris Christie destroys reporter for calling him confrontational takes home the inaugural HASY Trophy, snatching up 40% of the vote in the six-way race. This year’s runner-up is “Dingell: It will take a while for ObamaCare to ‘control the people’.” Rounding out the top 3 — “Dem congressman: If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over.” (Be sure to search the Archives yourself for some of the other oldie-but-goodies.)

Favorite Topic of the Year

What pushed readers’ buttons? It looks like anything and everything Chris Christie was welcome content, with posts relating to the current New Jersey governor capturing the only majority answer for the question (51%). Christie was more popular than posts on The economy and even Sarah Palin. Following Opinion pieces and Campaign coverage, Ed’s Obamateurisms clearly struck the right chord with visitors to Hot Air, rounding out the clearly popular categories. Not so popular? Posts about Christine O’Donnell, Robots, and Religion.

Preferred Vice Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

Taking the prize for Best Politician Hopefully in a Supporting Role, Florida Senator-elect Marco Rubio topped the vice presidential list by a squeaker over crowd favorite Chris Christie, 564 votes to 523 votes. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal came in a close third with 517 votes. Taking fourth, fifth, and sixth were Congressman Paul Ryan, former Governor Sarah Palin, and Florida Congressman-elect Allen West, in that order. (Note Palin and West; we’ll get back to them in a moment.)

And now, performance art.

Moving on.

In the category of Least Liked Topic We Specifically Polled Anyway, readers by a resounding 67% to 16% favored Christine O’Donnell over Mike Castle in their 2010 Delaware primary match-up. As for supporting a rematch with her as the nominee in 2014, readers were… less enthusiastic.

Hot Air readers are decidedly opposed to Republican candidates for President attending Politico’s Spring debate, generally preferring that the candidates refrain from participating in such an event until the end of the year.

So, back to the candidates themselves: When they cast their votes, what qualities were Hot Air readers looking for in their preferred candidate for President?

Preferred Presidential Candidate of Hot Air Readers

And the winner for Best Politician in a Hopefully Leading Role is Sarah Palin, beating Chris Christie handily and in a substantial reversal from the last poll we took at Hot Air on the topic. Paul Ryan, Bobby Jindal, and Mitt Romney round out the list at three, four and five.

Worth noting here is that while the “most popular President-VP ticket” would seem to be Palin-Rubio based on the results, that pairing was not the most common pairing explicitly given by Hot Air readers.

I’ve prepared a chart to help explain this. Down the left hand column is the preferred President of readers, with the highlighted box signaling which VP candidate was paired with him or her most frequently. So, Palin supporters chose Allen West most often as their VP choice. In contrast, the most popular pairing where Rubio was the VP on a ticket was when Chris Christie was the choice for President. Interesting stuff to me.

A look back at those we lost this year

Assuming there were that many, of course. Personally, I think the following groups won more Republican seats than they “lost,” but Hot Air readers have a decidedly more mixed, and basically negative, opinion of these organizations: the NRCC and NRSC.

Readers may not have liked these organizations, but they did like at least one person. A lot. In fact, so much so that this person is…

The Hot Air Readership Republican of the Year

And the HARRY goes to…

Sarah Palin. It wasn’t particularly close, either. Lots of voters commented that while they couldn’t vote for her for President, she was undoubtedly the biggest Republican mover and shaker of 2010. When I argued last year that the then-former governor Palin ought to “run for Congress” in 2010, I believed that she would play an enormously important role in winning back Republican seats. I noted at the time,

[W]hile Palin’s resignation certainly risks her own personal ambitions for higher office, it also opens up her hand to do the some of the free-wheeling, unfiltered campaigning she couldn’t do last year, with the prime beneficiary the center-right cause. If Palin wants to strengthen her political future, I can’t think of a better way to do it.

Obviously, not all of the 63 seats I predicted Republicans would take were directly a result of her interventions, but Palin drove much of the political conversation over the last 18 months. That’s not an easy feat for a typical politician, but Sarah Palin is not your typical politician. Whatever you think of the Mama Grizzly, you have got to respect her tenaciousness.

She got my vote, and clearly a lot — and I mean a lot – of Hot Air readers cast their ballots likewise.

That concludes this First Annual HARRY Awards ceremony. Hope you enjoyed it. I’m on Twitter. And I’ll leave you with this diddy as a parting tribute to the most endangered among us:

Until next post.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OK, which jack-wagon voted for AP?

Didn’t you get the memo?

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Yowza…42 other people besides myself picked John Boehner as their choice?

*faints*

JetBoy on December 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I kinda thought Sarah would be chosen Republican of the Year. :)

Aitch748 on December 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM

According to THIS poll there are SOME folks who should not run!

I mean since they are unelectable, not serious, will lose to Obama are to divisive and just plain dumb they should just GO HOME and they are:
Pence 31, Romney 29, Gingrinch 8, Huckabee 5, Daniels 2, Petraeus 1, Thune 1.

I dhunter would , however , respectfully leave Allahpundits’ name in there as he has done at least as much to help the cause as the list above of should not runs and he wasn’t even thinking about it! Was He?

dhunter on December 4, 2010 at 9:17 PM

These polls are rigged, I coulda swore I voted for Morrissey—twice!

Rovin on December 4, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I never saw the poll…dangit!!

SouthernGent on December 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

No “Who made the most booby jokes” category?

I was going for it hard this year!

lorien1973 on December 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I had no idea that Rhinos were such good dancers!

stonemeister on December 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

This Christie thing is beginning to disturb me.

wheelgun on December 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Allahpundit/Thune 2012? :-/

ctmom on December 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

SARAH PALIN, THE EXILE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

TheAlamos on December 4, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This Christie thing is beginning to disturb me.
wheelgun on December 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Elaborate

blatantblue on December 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

No “Who made the most booby jokes” category?

I was going for it hard this year!

lorien1973 on December 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Of that we have no doubt

JetBoy on December 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

By the way, I hate you all guys!

You didn’t even give my favorite guy SENATOR DEMINT a chance to win this prestigious Harry Award.

You are all rude!

And I hate that woman! Why does she have to always win everything?

TheAlamos on December 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM

If only the Washington Rinos had two big horns on the tip of their nose.

Gracelynn on December 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Nice compilation. Thank you.

The Christie effect

Schadenfreude on December 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM

How many wrote in Pence for one of the slots (Pres, VP, or RoTY)? It seemed like his name popped up a lot in the comments.

Y-not on December 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I think this poll while informal says alot. the majority of people at hotair like substance over youtube videos.

Glad to know that.

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Pence 31, Romney 29, Gingrinch 8, Huckabee 5, Daniels 2, Petraeus 1, Thune 1.

Pence was not listed as an option. He was a write in. I don’t think you can conclude anything from those results.

And, of course, electability considerations at this stage of the game are self-defeating.

Y-not on December 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM

This Christie thing is beginning to disturb me.
wheelgun on December 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Elaborate

blatantblue on December 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

He’s a HUGE RINO.

He’s a one trick pony. He does OK with some fiscal stuff. but that’s about it.

He’s on the wrong side of the 9/11 Victory Mosque debate. He’s for amnesty. He’s a gun grabber. He endorsed Mike Castle over Christine O’Donnell (not that it mattered) and Meg Whitman (not that it mattered)

He’s also a loud moth and an a-hole.

Should I go on?

He’s exactly where he needs to stay, New Jersey.

gary4205 on December 4, 2010 at 9:40 PM

OK, which jack-wagon voted for AP?

Didn’t you get the memo?

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM

My guess? Allahpundit.

Well done, Patrick! Thanks!

turfmann on December 4, 2010 at 9:40 PM

If that’s a shot at Christie, it’s a pretty silly one.

The man is on YouTube because he is governor of a blue state and he’s kicking union butt. Trying to trivialize Christie as lacking in substance — compared to what? — is pretty disingenuous.

Y-not on December 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM

make that “loud MOUTH” (preview is your friend)

gary4205 on December 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM

This Christie thing is beginning to disturb me.
wheelgun on December 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Elaborate

blatantblue on December 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

he is all flash no substance. even his budget this year was greater than Cozibne’s by $400 million but becaus eof his tough talk people think he is this gaint budget hawk. the two does nto compute to me. if you are a fisscal hawk shouldn’t your budget be less than the democrat’s budget?

He has little experience granted he has more than rubio but many people seem to think a good speech is all you need. We did that before with Obama. If Palin had as little experience as rubio or Chrisite her supporters would be laughed off the stage.

which does not mean I do not think they could grow into good leaders but the devotion that both men get is worrying. It’s like their supporters are zombies looking for the next fix of brains….sad really that so many would give support to 2 such inexperienced men with nothing more to go on then a couple of speeches.

and do we know if rubio/christie even wrote their speeches?

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Bush?

Which one?

Prescott?

Tony737 on December 4, 2010 at 9:45 PM

We should poll who’s the best commenter.

SouthernGent on December 4, 2010 at 9:45 PM

We should poll who’s the best commenter. – SouthernGent

SouthernGent

Tony737 on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Fairly predictable results. I just can’t support Palin for President if she is for amnesty.
She was the most influential Republican this year though so by that criteria she certainly deserves the ROTY award.

Grayson on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Y-not on December 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM

besides producing a couple nice youtube vids what has he done? besides spending $400million more than corzine and pushing the price tag down to the local level? He has no power to tilt elections even in his neighboring state. every time he opens his mouth on a national issues he is on the wrong side. so what is disingenuous in calling a flash in the pan a falsh in the pan.

Mayb eif chrisite could point to any accomplishments at all besides yelling at union members I might retract that statement.

*ducks as christie’s fanboyz come out of the woodwork to attack….

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Pence not on the list to pick from for Pres or VP – bet he would have pulled a lot if he had been, thus he wasn’t – shame on HA. As for Republican of the Year – the guy I voted for was not on the list at all, and they put people with one vote on there! I voted for Ken Cuccinelli, the best AG in the country and a perpetual thorn in Obama’s side. Sueing over both HCR and EPA – he has done more to try and actually UNDO a lot of this nonsense than the rest of these wind bags put together. Watch out – my guess is coming soon, lawsuit against the drilling moratorium.

Govgirl on December 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

No “Who made the most booby jokes” category?

I was going for it hard this year!

lorien1973 on December 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

The girl in the Snorgtees Ad amd myself were pulling for you!..:)

Dire Straits on December 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Grayson on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

not sure where you get she is for amnesty. she has stated her position on numerous radio shows since the election has being for strong border security and enforcment of our laws. she is also a big support of the AZ law. So I would like to know why you think she is for amnesty. I don’t see any amnesty supporters supporting the AZ immigration law.

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM

The girl in the Snorgtees Ad amd and myself were pulling for you!..:)

Dire Straits on December 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Sorry for typo!.. :)

Dire Straits on December 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Govgirl on December 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Is that the Ag of VA? If so I like him too. I think his impact has not ripened yet. As the court cases go through the courts I think his impact will be better seen.

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Grayson on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Palin is not for amnesty. That’s a lie spread around by some to muddy the waters.

You’d think her standing by Jan Brewer, literally, while everyone else hid under their desks, would be enough for most people to understand this, but I guess not.

gary4205 on December 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Thanks for the poll, it is very interesting.

tinkerthinker on December 4, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Govgirl on December 4, 2010 at 9:50 PM

yeah would have picked pence for VP. instead went with Trump at least he would be interesting.

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Yeah Ken’s impact will come in 2011 and beyond. Right now only us hard core political junkies know who he is.

He is a solid Attorney General. He would be an interesting AG pick for Sarah.

gary4205 on December 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Grayson on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Then take heart. She’s not for amnesty.

powerpro on December 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Palin *IS* the one Republican that no one is neutral about.

Of course she is going to make enemies as well as fans. That said, I really hope she runs for President in 2012. I believe that she is NOT Goldwater (in terms of success), but Reagan’s rightful heir.

If voters aren’t fond of her style, let’s hope another unapologetic Conservative with Tea Party sensibilities can be found to take up the fight for the nomination. If that person doesn’t exist, I pray Palin is up for the challenge.

Here’s hoping all of the Palin doubters actually give her a fair hearing during the primary season, assuming she elects to go for it.

itzWicks on December 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM

JetBoy on December 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Actually I didn’t, but I’ll join you on the fainting couch.

Fortunata on December 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM

We should poll who’s the best commenter. – SouthernGent

SouthernGent

Tony737 on December 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Flattering, but no way. There are so many better choices.

SouthernGent on December 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM

O/t is nothing safe anymore form the hands of the fed?

“A child nutrition bill on its way to President Barack Obama — and championed by the first lady — gives the government power to limit school bake sales and other fundraisers that health advocates say sometimes replace wholesome meals in the lunchroom.”

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM

We should poll who’s the best commenter. – SouthernGent

Now just imagine if you had said pole instead of poll!

Tony737 on December 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM

That Rhino killed the pretty unicorn!

And according to the poll, I’m pretty much smack dab in the mainstream of HotAir readers, even if my VP choice only came in third. No wonder I prefer this place to most other sites. Great minds… :)

Fun and informative poll. Thanks.

pannw on December 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Pence 31, Romney 29, Gingrinch 8, Huckabee 5, Daniels 2, Petraeus 1, Thune 1.

Y-not on December 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Lighten up Mrs Pence I was makin a joke, a little satire, using the RINO screechers language that is commonly used against the front runner in this very serious, highly accurate, and most likely 100% factual predictor of who will win in 2012!

dhunter on December 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM

dhunter on December 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM

snark is lost on some.

unseen on December 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Patrick, great job.

For a future poll idea, lets add Cabinet Secretaries (a high signal/noise mil-blog liked my suggestion of Ted Nuget for SecDef), Press Secretary (Michelle Malkin for the win), and where Ed and AP fit in.
AP for VP speech writer during the campaign?

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM

AP for VP speech writer during the campaign?

NaCly dog on December 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Nah, AP oughta be the spokesperson for the Presidential Candidate. Can’t ya just see him at the mic, hooded robe and all singing Palin’s praises all the day long.

nwsseeker on December 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Patrick: “Lots of voters commented that while they couldn’t vote for her for President, she was undoubtedly the biggest Republican mover and shaker of 2010. “

Nice try at a RINO save. So lots of voters commented that they “couldn’t vote for her for President”, but she blew away the competition in this poll. Uh-huh.

VidOmnia on December 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM