Green Room

Filing for a Divorce from Reality

posted at 8:00 am on November 29, 2010 by

Marc Pascal is an old colleague of mine from The Moderate Voice, and a fine fellow, even though he is a self described, “Progressive, Democrat, Liberal.” (PDL) I’m well aware that a lot of folks on his side of the aisle took the results of the 2010 mid-term elections pretty hard, but I fear that Marc took it worse than most. His response, penned this week, frames a suggestion for his fellow PDL types as to the next logical step for the movement.

We Need a Divorce.

Progressives, Democrats and Liberals (aka PDLs for short) must simply accept they are a minority in a right of center to extreme right nation in which any sane discussions of facts and reality are irrelevant. More than half of Americans generally live in fantasy bubbles of their own beliefs, fears, prejudices and selected “facts” constituting a worldview that is wholly separate from reality. Unless PDLs can argue principally on emotions, faith, and the perpetual delution of American exceptionalism, most of the electorate will turn away.

I’m actually going to dispute part of that in a moment, but let’s skip ahead in this rather long treatise Marc has provided and see what his proposed solution is for the Port Side of the U.S.A.

The laws of every State entitle most married couples to a divorce based upon irreconcilable differences. The same approach may be necessary for America as a whole. This is not an effort to revisit or re-argue the Civil War and the premise that states cannot leave the union and cause a bloody war over slavery or other issues. Instead, it is an attempt to find a sensible and peaceful mechanism to dissolve a hopelessly dysfunctional and irreconcilable relationship that would free the angry and warring parties to find new and more productive and satisfying separate lives…

PDLs have to instead gather together in various domestic sanctuaries they can create within the U.S. It might be best that all PDLs – even those living in very “Blue” urban enclaves across this overwhelming Red nation – should seriously consider moving to the Atlantic and Pacific Coastal states…

This re-settlement proposal would be just the first part of a peaceful national civil divorce proceeding. It will eventually permit the laws and policies in our separate realms to fully reflect what the overwhelming majorities want in their separate legal and geographic areas. This arrangement would be far more preferable than perpetuating our current system of one side forcing its views over the other side all across this closely divided nation.

Marc, while I believe (or at least fervently hope) that you wrote this with your tongue mostly tucked in your cheek, it’s still a rather disturbing sentiment. First of all, it seems a bit abrupt to suddenly take your ball and go home at this point. I would remind you that it was only two short years ago that the the nation was reading the obituary of the Republican Party, which had been beaten into irrelevance and was now largely a “regional party” stuck in a few Southern and Western mountain states, bitterly clinging to their guns and their God.

Things change. And even if I don’t agree with you on many issues of the day, you’ve got to hang in there and keep fighting. I may not want you to win on the majority of points, but the game gets pretty boring if the other team simply heads to the locker room at half time.

Also your characterization of the nation as being closely divided in some sort of 52-48 split is really not an accurate reflection of reality. The truth of the matter is that there is a sliver of the country’s population, probably less than 15% if the truth be told, who fully agree with you and are mostly in the PDL category. There is another, similar sliver on the other end who think you and your friends are total moonbats.

There are another pair of groups, perhaps a bit larger, who either somewhat agree or primarily disagree with you, but aren’t ready to hurl stones or call you names. And member of these groups tend to swing a bit back and forth depending on the condition of the nation. That’s what happened in 2008 and 2010.

And then there’s another huge group – I’m sorry to say making up nearly half the country – who just don’t care. They don’t watch Fox or MSNBC. They don’t read political blogs. They barely watch the news at all. And they don’t vote. Ever. They’re watching Sports Center on ESPN, trying to keep their jobs and hoping to make enough to go on vacation next year. They’re not part of the war you’re engaged in and they don’t want to be.

And what of the politically active who don’t fit into a neat category for your divorce settlement? (Such as yours truly, just for one example.) Where will I be shipped off to? If you send me to Omaha I may wind up in some trouble when my new neighbors discover my decidedly libertarian views on things like foreign policy and abortion. But if you send me to San Francisco I suspect I’ll get a rather icy reception as well. The community won’t be happy knowing I want to cut taxes, shrink the size of government, reduce spending and – just by the way – I have an arsenal of guns that could arm a small South American nation.

Where do I fit in to this grand plan? Will there be a special place for people like me outside of the main enclaves? If so, I’d like to suggest Virginia for us. The weather is generally fantastic and I understand you can hunt boar down there.

Be calm and be of good cheer, Marc. We don’t need a national divorce and the sky has not entirely fallen on you and your PDL friends. All we really need is a rational national discourse and solid ideas on addressing the challenges we all face together.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I have a fantastic idea. Suppose we merely devolve power to the states, and let each state have the sort of laws, taxation, and benefits they choose. You could have 50 DIFFERENT sets of values. Surely each of us could find a place that “fits” us.

RegularJoe on November 29, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Yes, we do need a national divorce.

Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Berkley, San Francisco.

I’m all for it. Let Arizona, Texas control the border. Let California slide off into the Pacific. Let the progressives control the west coast, and in a hundred years it will look like Zimbabwe.

Skandia Recluse on November 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Let the progressives control the west coast, and in a hundred ten years it will look like Zimbabwe.

Skandia Recluse on November 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

FIFY

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on November 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM

This is the same “Jesusland” bullshit we saw in 2004.

Compromise to Copperheads means my way or nothing.

SDN on November 29, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Quite honestly, I think you’re a bit overoptimistic, Mr.Shaw. This option – as horrible as it may be – should be at least kept on the back burner for the next couple years. America is becoming so fiercely divided politically

Unfortunately, the problem of national unity is hardly new. All the way back in the 1700′s it was observed that “it may have been a mistake to join eight northern republics to five southern oligarchies”. We solved the North/South problem by force…but we very nearly lost everything.

Trying to do the same with the East/West conundrum would be foolishness, and the ‘pendulum swings’ of national elections are threatening to capsize the ship. It is time at least to consider a peaceful separation before we end up in a winner-take-all war.

Dark-Star on November 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM

After re-reading my comment, I should add that I’m not totally opposed to a national divorce (in fact I’ve used exactly that term to advocate it as a possibility). My problem with that approach is that I would really rather not have a bloody civil war (the only time liberals advocate use of firearms is to shoot conservatives); nor do I want to have two semi-super-power militaries instead of one SUPER-power military; nor do I want the economic turmoil of trying to figure out which “side” owes how much of the national debt, and which owns how much of the military hardware, naval vessels, nukes, etc.

So, while a “divorce” has a certain appeal, I think a much more viable alternative is what would amount to more of an “open marriage”. Tennessee does its thing; Massachusetts does its; California may have to break into a couple of states. We all sit back and look disapprovingly at one another’s choices, then shrug our shoulders and go about living the life we WANT to live, rather than the one someone else thinks we SHOULD want.

My prediction, though: the eventual breakdown will be “urban zones” with much greater central planning and political correctness and “rural zones” with much greater freedom. The fact of the matter is that Memphis has much more in common with Detroit than it does with any place 20 miles outside its city limits.

RegularJoe on November 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM

What’s really funny is how this PDL thinks the majority of the rest of the country is in a fantasyland, not him. But with that said, if we went back to a strong-states-rights kind of approach to government, like the Constitution specifies, the loonies could have their lefty-states, and the rest of us could feel sorry for their bankruptcy and their corruption, and occasionally help them as the spirit moved us. Of course the problem is the lefties will move to where the jobs and economy are strong… Maybe individual states could control immigration based upon political belief?

ANV on November 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM

As I can tell you from bitter experience, in any divorce, there are reverberations and repercussions that emanate well beyond the immediate parties of the first and second part. Pascal’s manifesto reminds me of my ex-husband’s parting comments that amounted to “I have to do what’s right for me” and “I’m not happy, so I’m leaving,” only to find out that there was another woman all along. Pascal, like my erstwhile husband, adopts the “it’s all about me” posture that evinces immaturity, petulance, and more than a bit of narcissism. Unfortunately, childish selfishness always affects more than just the offending party. Two words for Mr. Pascal – grow up.

College Prof on November 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM

The hardcore left will never achieve their goals as long as they believe that those who disagree with them are deluded and deranged.

That allows the lefties to ignore what their opponents say, and kills all opportunities for negotiation and compromise.

Steven Den Beste on November 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM

ANV on November 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM

The ones who want jobs will. They won’t be a problem for us. Those who just want to suckle on a government teat will drag the lefty states (with their generous entitlements) down to the point that they can no longer afford such largess; at which point they will begin to trend right.

Leftist policies can only survive as long as you have someone else’s money to borrow or take by force. Forcing them to implement their policies state-by-state will ultimately starve the beast.

RegularJoe on November 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Hey, not so sure that Virginia is the place to label “outside of the main enclaves.” I don’t intend to surrender the beaches to the liberals, either!

Your friend Mark sounds like a pretty typical liberal – everyone who disagrees with him is an emotional moron.

Good luck with that friendship. My liberal friends are ex-friends – their choice, not mine. That’s just who they are.

On the other hand…it wasn’t such a great loss, except for one. Oh well.

disa on November 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Actually, I agree with him; I strongly encourage all PDL’s to move to liberal enclaves (you can recognize them largely by their financial insolvency), and continue to ruin *those* areas if they wish with their PDL ‘facts’ and such, while leaving the rest of us (you know, the ones who can’t think straight but apparently are able to run states and economies without destroying them and everything around them) alone and unmolested by ridiculous PDL nonsense and foolishness.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Midas on November 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Well, there’s Europe…oh wait!

They’re turning right as well, albeit rather slowly.

hillbillyjim on November 29, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Divorce?

Shouldn’t it be an annulment, due to the diminished capacity of PDLs?

malclave on November 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

The projection here is nothing less than astounding. Their way fails every time. It failed with the Pilgrims and it fails now. The only thing that keeps these urban psychotics afloat is the amazing wealth that permits delusional belief systems to exist without starvation. We are only a few generations out of survival mode, but that’s where we’ll return if these people aren’t stopped.

A termination of federal wealth transfers to these urban centers of psychosis would bring utopia crashing down. Start with the so-called “sanctuary” cities and see how long that lasts.

Feedie on November 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Let them totally leave the country. There are many places in the world that already practice their pretend utopia. It doesn’t work and never will but these delusional nuts will never ponder that thought. Reality is not an option to them. America is the only place left in the world that has the government free market capitalists desire. We deserve to have one haven, they have their choice of many. The dirty little secret is that they don’t want their utopia. They just want attention, even if it’s negative attention. They honestly belong on an analysts couch to get rid of this affliction.

Jayrae on November 30, 2010 at 4:03 AM