Green Room

Come Mr. Taliban, Tally Me Bananas

posted at 2:54 am on November 24, 2010 by

Or should that be, “tell me I’m bananas?”

So Monday — the 292nd anniversary of the death of Blackbeard the pirate, but does anybody care? — the New York Times reported a curious controversy that surely is the most emblematic embarassment of the administration of Barack H. “Lucky Lefty” Obama:

For months, the secret talks unfolding between Taliban and Afghan leaders to end the war appeared to be showing promise, if only because of the appearance of a certain insurgent leader at one end of the table: Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour, one of the most senior commanders in the Taliban movement.

But now, it turns out, Mr. Mansour was apparently not Mr. Mansour at all. In an episode that could have been lifted from a spy novel, United States and Afghan officials now say the Afghan man was an impostor, and high-level discussions conducted with the assistance of NATO appear to have achieved little.

Cue “Three Stooges” music: “Oh, a wiseguy, eh?”

I was not particularly startled by the fact that the Obamacle’s negotiators cannot tell a Taliban from a tally-ho; with this duffer, who drills the ball into a knothole and calls it a hole in one, I expect nothing better.

But what really numbfounds me is the next line in the Times story:

“It’s not him,” said a Western diplomat in Kabul intimately involved in the discussions. “And we gave him a lot of money.”

That is, evidently, we were under the mistaken impression that we were paying the Taliban to negotiate with us. One can only conclude that our progressive president is so desperate to show some progress (on anything!) that he’s even willing to bribe our enemies to sit down and pretend to talk to us.

So upon consideration, I really can’t feel all that upset about what happened over the past three months (red-faced and humiliated, sure, but not upset). When all is said, I’m actually rather grateful that all that money we’ve been forking over only went to a con man.

In fact, considering the alternative, I’d say we got a bargain.

Cross-posted on Big Lizards

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

“*When all is said, I’m actually rather grateful that all that money we’ve been forking over only went to a con man*”

The folk who got fooled are the ones claiming “He was only a con man” ….How much did they pay the informant to reveal that piece of info … What’s the next chapter in this comedy/farce:

*The informant who outed the fake Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour admits he never actually knew Mansour..but he did stay at the same Holiday Inn….

Team Obama spokesperson: “And we gave him a lot of money for that intelligence info.”
:):):):):):)

philly_PA on November 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM

So, we have an imposter negotiating for the bad guys. It kinda works for me, actually. Since we have an imposter playing President, it’s a perfect fit.

Robert17 on November 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Soft power, anybody just tell them who they are, and get millions.

tarpon on November 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM

How, exactly, does this happen? I mean, uhm…. How do these people figure they’re keeping this country safe when they can’t spot a conman?

Wow. I feel safe with these folks in charge. Awesome. This is just filled with awesome. Feh.

Mad Mad Monica on November 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM

HAHAHA! Robert17, I laughed so hard when I read your comment. Bwahahaha… I agree. It doesn’t really inspire confidence in me when a conman can’t spot another conman. Kinda makes OUR conmen look even more stupid than they ordinarily do. In fact, now I’m kind of embarrassed… Not that I wasn’t embarrassed by this president and gang before.

But this is worse. Obama and the gang pulled a con on the whole country in 2008 and now they’ve been conned. It makes the folks who bought in to the Obama Zombie Virus appear even more brainless as I’d originally believed.

And I keep hearing Maxwell Smart say “Missed it by THAT much…” 🙂

Mad Mad Monica on November 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Top Pick

Irreligion.

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”

Currently doing a search for “good international trade lawyers”

Ransomware attack spreads through Europe

John Sexton Jun 27, 2017 1:01 PM

“A massive ransomware campaign is currently unfolding worldwide.”

At least their address rarely changes

It just keeps on happening

“Trump is good for business right now.”

Start spreading the news…

“Now it’s time for the next step.”

A “cryptic” warning to Bashar al-Assad?

Jazz Shaw Jun 27, 2017 8:01 AM

The three strikes rule may be in effect

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment