Green Room

North Carolina Rising: GOP takes control for the first time since 1870

posted at 9:42 am on November 3, 2010 by

I woke up this morning to a truly new North Carolina.  For the first time in over a century, the GOP has control of the state General Assembly.

First two objectives for the new majority, according to GOP Chairman Tom Fetzer: Living within our means, and correcting gerrymandered districts throughout the state.

The state faces a projected $3 billion deficit in the coming year, and Fetzer said a Republican-controlled legislature would set priorities to live within a smaller budget.

Control of the General Assembly during the 2011 session not only means setting the agenda for the state budget and other legislation, it also means controlling the process for redrawing legislative districts, which could influence elections for the next decade.

How did NC Democrats spend the night?  WRAL reports:

The mood at Democratic Party headquarters was more somber. They, too, started off calling their gathering a victory party, but the crowd grew quieter and more sparse as returns came in and showed that polls predicting a big night for Republicans were correct.

Let’s pause for a moment to wish them well, and…  O.K., I’m done.

Hey, Bev?  You’re next.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Congrats to the folks in NC—hope the trend continues into 2012.

Rovin on November 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Rovin on November 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Thanks! You wouldn’t happen to know why this post isn’t up in the main GR, only on the side bar, would you? Can’t figure it out.

Bee on November 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Bee — my mistake. That’s been fixed!

Mark Jaquith on November 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM

YEAH!!!

Also huge win for Renee Ellmers! I would have loved to see BJ Lawson somehow pull it out over David Price, but it appears that Durham loves its master.

bilups on November 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Good to see NC going more the way of the rest of the South – now if that could be the case with the Northern reaches of the country..

Chip on November 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Excellent! Now if they could just rid the state of folk-music-loving commune members, North Carolina would have a bright future. 😉

MadisonConservative on November 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Bee on November 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Bee, I sent Ed this question last night, but as you can see he was just a bit busy…:) Just checked my email, and no response. I was disappointed the Greenroom was basically left out of the process last night. (and I hope it wasn’t deliberate)

Rovin on November 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Ya, I’m in District 33 (part of durham), and the state pickups are grand. Too bad for Lawson, but hey, this is one of those stacked US House districts… Durham (…), Chapel Hill (liberal town) and, Cary (bunch of northern transplants).

Durham isn’t dropping Price until he dies most likely 🙁 Lawson made up a lot of ground from 2008 (6%), but again, the district is stacked against him.

NC is one of the top transplant areas for disaffected northerners, and all their baggage. Hopefully we can keep it electorally colored like VA at the least.

kerncon on November 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Nice write up Bee.

Great night on the state level here in NC.

Disappointed that Bill Randall lost NC-13. Tough district for a Republican. Voter ID breakdown: D-50 R-30 I-20.

And yes, Bee, Governor Perdue is next.

chief on November 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Rovin on November 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Apparently the headlines were stalling, as well. Not intentional. 🙂

MadisonConservative on November 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Everyone loves a crunchy Con. Anyway, I’d have nowhere to go. Refugee Bee. *sniffles*

kerncon on November 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

You’re absolutely right about that. Liberal relatives from up north just moved to the Triangle, in fact. The trend is worrisome.

chief on November 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Thanks, but I wouldn’t even call it a write up…just a gloating/happy note. I left the analysis to my betters. 🙂

Bee on November 4, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Is anyone else more vapid that guvnah “Bev” Perdue? Okay, maybe Patty Murray, but only barely.

SouthernGent on November 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Top Pick

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM
Top Pick

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys

“They’re still running against her and still winning races.”

“…the suspect is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.”

When the Left lost their way on immigration

Jazz Shaw Jun 21, 2017 2:41 PM

It wasn’t all that long ago, really

“I personally watched some of these students go up to Chief Brown, right up to her face, and call her all kinds of names, cursing at her.”