Green Room

Doctor Zero No More

posted at 2:40 am on October 31, 2010 by

I became a blogger in April of 2009, when I was invited to post in the Green Room at Hot Air.  I was a prolific poster of comments in the forums before that.  I had no idea what I would do with a full column space at first.  I remember staring at the frozen tundra of a blank Microsoft Word document, fingers floating over the keyboard, listening to the news and wondering what to write about.

I’ve never had to wonder about that again.  Writer’s block is no threat, when eventful days are spent in a fountain of creativity like Hot Air.  There have always been more things to write about than hours available to write… until now.

I’m honored to report that I’ve been hired by Human Events, to become a full-time writer at www.humanevents.com.  My first essay as a staff writer is online now: The Mind of America.

This is a grand experiment for everyone involved.  For me, it’s nothing short of a miracle: the discovery of an entirely new destiny, halfway through my life.  It’s humbling to become a part of such a revered institution, especially in these remarkable times.  The pages of history are turning before us.  I’ve just been handed a pen, and invited to scribble in the margins.

I can’t begin to tell you how much the writers and readers of Hot Air have meant to me.  It was a rare privilege to be given such a high-profile spot to begin my blogging career.  I hope with all my heart that I have been worthy of this privilege.  Rarely has a writer been gifted with such swift and insightful feedback, from such a perceptive and spirited community.  You have taught me a hundred lessons, in the comment forums to every post I have written.  Both words of praise, and polite disagreement, have been priceless treasures.  Impolite disagreement has been a guilty pleasure to read, when it comes with a dash of wit.

Whatever skill I possess at writing has been gained by studying the best.  Michelle, Ed, Allahpundit, and everyone else involved with Hot Air have created something truly special.  I consider myself second to none in my admiration for their work.  With heart, humor, and keen insight, the Hot Air crew makes sense of overwhelming events.  The gifts of laughter and wisdom are given with wondrous regularity here.  I remain a most devoted reader, eager to receive those gifts every day.

You have changed my life. I hope I’ve contributed something to yours, and may continue to do so.

As Human Events is not the sort of place where people write under the names of hopelessly obscure super-heroes, I am “Doctor Zero” no more.  (Well, except on Twitter, where I’m still Doc_0.)

Yours with enduring respect and affection,

John Hayward

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

excellent news…
Congrats Dr Z, well deserved indeed!

cmsinaz on November 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Congratulations Mr. Hayward. It is well deserved. You are one of the most insightful, entertaining and articulate bloggers in my mind. I always look forward to your work. Good luck and Godspeed on this new path laid out before yout.

drocity on November 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

The amount of times I have quoted your pieces, forwarded your pieces, or, at the very least, commented on your pieces here on HotAir.com should speak to the value I have found in your columns here.

Have a great transition to HumanEvents.com. See you in the ether, Mr Hayward.

Captain Scarlet on November 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Congratulations, Dr Z. Your amazing insight has won many fans here at Hotair. You will be missed.

Zorg on November 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Well deserved.

Pleased to see new opportunities for you! Thank you for all the great work. I look forward to reading you on Human Events.

Heralder on November 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hey, as long as you’re still out there writing….. got scared by the headline a little you know.

Congrats!!!

Chip on November 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM

John Hayward

*smile*

You will be missed Doc. Please don’t be a stranger and come by and say hi once in a while. :)

upinak on November 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

DAMN! I was just getting used to my daily DZ fix. Now I have to maintain yet.. another link for my daily intake.

Oh well, its not like you’re joining the French Foriegn Legion or anything, or blasting off to Mars on a one way “see ya” trek.

Congrats DZ, you earned it.

44Magnum on November 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I clicked on that title with no small amount of trepidation, as there was an unease about it…such a relief to see it was not an obit, but the wonderful news that the world “out there” will now be blessed with your insight, grace, and wit – as we here at Hot Air have been. You’ll be missed here, but we know where to find you. We’ll just have to be sure to get there early in the day because as word of your residence becomes widely known, Human Events is going to be one crowded room!

All the best to you Mr. Hayward – glass is raised!

GGMac on November 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Please promise that you will always dress up as “DOCTOR ZERO” at Halloween!!

Wishing you “fair winds and following seas!”

Khun Joe on November 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

In June my S/O had serious cardiac surgery. Two months later, in August, I had a heart attack, requiring a stent and other procedures. Between us, our medical needs and recovery complicated by our respective autoimmune diseases have kept us away from our most favorite pasttimes, which for me meant missing Hot Air, the Green Room, Doc Zero, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin.

Now that things are turning to the better for us I’ve discovered that, despite being retired with oodles of free time, there’s no way I could possibly catch up on all those months of HA and my other favorites.

But there were a few writers, John, whose work I refused to give up reading. And finally I waded through the archives of your Green Room articles and came up this one in which you announce your fabulous career change. Human Events is an awesome feather in your cap for sure, my dear!!!

A long time ago I followed Ed Morrissey from his Captain’s Quarters blog to his new career move here at Hot Air. Now I am thrilled to follow another extremely talented writer, you John, to the newest bookmarked site in my ‘daily must read blogs’, being Human Events.

Thank you for all you have done to put insane political and human issues through a sanity filter for people like me who need help sorting through the events in this world and making sense of it all.

The very best wishes and good luck to you in your career endeavors, John. I hope that your experience at Human Events is the most wonderful and insightful as you walk this new path in your life.

KendraWilder on November 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM