posted at 1:34 am on October 17, 2010 by Doctor Zero
Comedian and fake news host Jon Stewart has announced a “Rally to Restore Sanity” on October 30 in Washington, D.C. Nervous at being almost completely eclipsed by Glenn Beck, Stewart decided to stage a rally that would be presented as a satire of Beck’s immense “Restoring Honor” rally in August. Of course, Stewart wants to drop his detachable clown nose at his convenience, to make “dead serious” points, as Time magazine puts it:
It’s funny, and it’s dead serious. Stewart may rely on the cover of being “just a fake news program,” but at least since he went off on Crossfire in 2004, he’s also had a very earnest distaste for the media personalities and politicians whose sole purpose, it seems, is to whip people into psychosis. You would think, looking at the way the country runs now, that America took the movie Network not as a cautionary tale but a how-to manual. Maybe Stewart can give a voice to the people who are not “mad as hell and not going to take it anymore” but rather, you know, pretty ticked off yet willing to keep giving it a shot.
Guess what, Stewart fans? “Pretty ticked off yet willing to give it a shot” means you’re not even speed bumps to the ambitions of this carnivorous government. You’ve already lost a shocking amount of freedom in just two years. The mandarins who imposed ObamaCare couldn’t care less about your willingness to give it a shot. You will obey, completely, or you will be fined and jailed… unless you work for a favored corporation or union that secured a waiver. Your health-care options and employment opportunities have already been severely damaged by ObamaCare. The only way to repair that damage is to resist with all your might, and insist on repeal. Anything less is meaningless, and makes you useless. Have fun at your rally.
Stewart says he wants to “take back the conversation from screamers and conspiracy theorists”:
“We live in troubled times,” Stewart announced, “with real people facing real problems, problems that have real if imperfect solutions that I believe 70 to 80 percent of our population could agree to try and could ultimately live with. Unfortunately, the conversation and process is controlled by the other 15 to 20 percent.”
Dissent is so rude, isn’t it? We should all just close our eyes and quietly join the herd. Ignore the polls that show over 60% resistance to every item on the ruling Party’s agenda. Trust Stewart’s assurances that 70 or 80 percent of us could live with it, if the other 20% would just shut up and submit. The majority should rule in all circumstances. It’s not like we have a Constitution that says anything different.
You’ve got to love how all this handwringing about screamers and conspiracies appears whenever effective resistance to the “progressive” agenda is happening. No amount of shrill hysteria or mindless paranoia could have moved Jon Stewart to host a rally in support of George W. Bush. Time says this is a rally for “people who can disagree with other people without comparing them to Hitler.” They had absolutely no problem with people who disagreed with Bush by comparing him to Hitler.
Calling Stewart’s event a “Rally to Restore Sanity” should provoke contempt from those aware of the issues behind this election, rather than laughter. There is nothing sane about wild, unsustainable deficit spending, or the deliberate destruction of the health-insurance industry to further a political agenda. There is nothing sane about the spectacle of a comedian intervening to protect an incompetent, power-hungry President from judgment by voters he openly derides as stupid and uninformed.
Pick your favorite flavor of madness, and you’ll find it displayed by this President. Obama was recently diagnosed with delusions of shovel-ready jobs. There is abundant evidence of megalomania – “I won,” the difference between grabbing control of health care in 2009 vs. 1994 is “you have me,” etc. When he asked for more stimulus money, after squandering and stealing over $800 billion, he was filling Einstein’s famous definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results.
The President’s paranoia is evident through his repeated tendency to describe opponents, and even inconvenient citizens, as incarnations of evil. Everyone who questions him is ignorant, violent, racist, or un-American. Those who challenge him, from the health-care town halls of 2009 to today, are nothing but the tools of sinister corporate interests – defined as any special interest that doesn’t give Obama bags of campaign money.
His tendency toward projection is pathological. He rails against American business while shifting his coat to conceal a pocketful of checks from Goldman-Sachs. His other pockets are stuffed with a variety of foreign currencies, the kind of money he damns the Chamber of Commerce for taking. Under pressure, the President reverts to infancy with frightening speed, desperately blaming all his problems on a predecessor who quietly retired two years ago.
Obama’s Party is equally insane. From frothing lunatics like Alan Grayson… to shameless liars like Dick Blumenthal, Barney Frank, and Chris Coons… to Patty Murray – the idiot who said Osama bin Laden has been “making lives better” by “building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day-care facilities, and building health-care facilities” – the Democrat Party is brimming with people mentally unfit to come anywhere near the halls of Congress. Every public utterance of Democrat leaders Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi makes it seem as if they just arrived from an alternate dimension, and would bleed mercury if their skin was cut.
The Republicans have an ample supply of loons as well. It has been the sober determination of the Republican base, not the lazy sarcasm of hip comedians, which plucked so many nuts from their Party mix during the primaries.
Nationalizing industries is crazy. Passing thousand-page bills based on deliberately falsified deficit projections is crazy. Passing those bills without even reading them is crazy. Racking up a $13 trillion national debt is crazy. Accepting 10% unemployment as the “new normal” is crazy. Dropping gigantic tax increases on a recessionary economy is crazy. Fleeing Washington without even voting on those tax increases is crazy.
Paying serious attention to a rally “Oprahturfed” by billionaire entertainers and liberal activists, as if it represented some outpouring of popular support for the lunatic agenda of this President, would be completely nuts. Enjoy your afternoon on the Mall, Mr. Stewart. There will be a much bigger Rally to Restore Sanity on November 2nd.
Cross-posted at www.doczero.org.
Doctor Zero: Year One now available from Amazon.com!
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation