The Most Important Ballot Question In America
posted at 10:50 am on October 11, 2010 by Legal Insurrection
Should the name of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations be changed to State of Rhode Island?
Background here, Is Rhode Island’s Name Racist?
AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE
(CHANGING THE OFFICIAL NAME OF THE STATE)
(Section 1 of Article XIV of the Constitution)
Approval of the amendment to the Title, Preamble and Section 3 of Article III of the Rhode Island Constitution set forth below will have the effect of changing the official name of the State from “State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations” to “State of Rhode Island”:
Full text of amendment for Question 1
The Title of the Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF RHODE ISLAND
The Preamble of the Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
We, the people of this State which state shall henceforth be known as the state of Rhode Island, grateful to Almighty God for the civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing upon our endeavors to secure and to transmit the same, unimpaired, to succeeding generations, do ordain and establish this Constitution of government.
Section 3 of Article III of the Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:
Section 3. Oath of general officers.
- – All general officers shall take the following engagement before they act in their respective offices, to wit: You being by the free vote of the electors of this state of Rhode Island, elected unto the place of do solemnly swear (or, affirm) to be true and faithful unto this state, and to support the Constitution of this state and of the United States; that you will faithfully and impartially discharge all the duties of your aforesaid office to the best of your abilities, according to law: So help you God. [Or: This affirmation you make and give upon the peril of the penalty of perjury.]
Bonus question: How long before an amendment is proposed to remove the words “grateful to Almighty God”?
Cross-posted with updates at Legal Insurrection Blog.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation