Green Room

GOP wave ready to crash over blue-state Maine?

posted at 8:57 pm on September 22, 2010 by

Only a few weeks to go until ballot-castin’ time.

Judging from the trend line of these polls, conservative Republican Paul LePage is going to be Maine’s next governor. Only one thing to say, really.

Thank you, Mr. President.

That is not entirely fair, of course. Maine Democrats have done enough on their own to deserve replacement. But the last time the Maine electorate got tired of the status quo, they elected an independent. The independent in this race, Eliot Cutler, peaked at 16% in August and now hovers between 11 and 14 percent. What’s fascinating about LePage is that his lead keeps growing, no matter what the media and Democrats throw at him.

One reason for this is that LePage is a likable candidate. He’s a happy warrior who promises voters lower state spending, no tax hikes and welfare reform. In addition, LePage is an accomplished person with a near-Dickensian life story – he was homeless at age 11 and spent two years supporting himself shining shoes. He worked his way through high school, college, and graduate school and became a successful businessman. As if that weren’t enough, LePage also managed to get himself elected Mayor in a highly-Democratic city. He’s an impressive guy.

Still, that’s not really enough to explain the high poll numbers he’s been getting. That’s where the president comes in.

Maine is ranked 36th in median household income, but 13th in the per capita tax rate. On average, Mainers give $2,432 to the state government alone every year (as of 2005 – it’s more now). Add in federal taxes and you can see why so many voters in this state were impressed by Obama’s promise of a “net spending cut.”

That…didn’t exactly work out as promised.

I’ve lived in this state for just over two decades, and I’ve never seen voters this angry – not even in 1994. I think the reason LePage is likely to be Maine’s next governor is that voters believe his policies will lead to the spending cuts – at least on the state level – that Obama promised during the campaign. It’s pretty clear to me that voters in other states are thinking along the same lines.

Call it the “Obama effect.”

Change.

UpdatePatrick Ishmael points out that both Maine House seats have been downgraded in recent weeks. Both have moved from ‘Safe Dem’ to ‘Leans Dem.’ Both seats are still slight longshots, but in 1994, so was James B. Longley, Jr. If I had to guess, I’d say the first congressional district will probably still go to the Democrats this year, but the second? Let’s just say that central, northern, and western Maine are a bit more conservative than north Boston southern Maine.

Representative Jason Levesque? Possible.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

If there were a GOP candidate who would know what helped and hurt the common citizen and have a passion to help them, he’d be it.

I hope a political tidal wave and a hurricane hit Maine. Simultaneously. Something might just…change.

Dark-Star on September 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Good. Maybe it will frighten the Maine Twins into voting with the GOP. They do act out of self-interest, and Snowe already has a declared primary challenger for 2012.

Wethal on September 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

The closer we get to November the more intense my anxiety attacks are going to be and the deeper my depression from AllahPundit’s trash talk.

Skandia Recluse on September 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I’m from Maine, too, but left when I was 18, in 1995, and haven’t been back except visits to family for 15 years. I’d like to know conservatives can still win there! Maybe it’d help me move back.

joe_doufu on September 23, 2010 at 12:22 AM

If you guys could find a way to replace the Maine Wonder Twins,….

steveegg on September 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM

LePage signs are everywhere in Maine–even in some of dyed in the wool Dem areas.

jeanie on September 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM

jeanie on September 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Sounds like more than a few folks in Maine are gonna “Remember November”

huskerdiva on September 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus