Green Room

Smoking is the New Crack Cocaine

posted at 3:28 pm on September 20, 2010 by

Apparently, cigarettes are the new crack cocaine. At least, that’s what New York mayor Michael Bloomberg seems to believe. After banning smoking in indoor public areas, he now wants to do the same with outdoor areas such as parks, beaches and pedestrian malls.

Like most ex-smokers, I’m vehemently anti-smoking. I always encourage people to quit; I continuously tell them that they’ll feel so much better once they do, and so on. If you ever met one of us former smokers, or if  you are one of us, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. However, I do believe some of my fellow anti-smokers can take it a step too far. They don’t understand that there’s a difference between convincing people to quit smoking and to legislate your views and force people to give it up (or, if they refuse, to become social pariahs).

We should encourage people to quit, but we must not make the mistake of treating cigarettes as the new crack cocaine; they’re not.

First published here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Smoking laws (and drug laws for that matter) are tyranny.

Plain and simple.

uknowmorethanme on September 20, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I’ll listen to your drivel about smokers as soon as when you start talking about banning alcohol in public…..

el hombre on September 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I have never smoked, and I am very allergic to cigarette smoke. As in nausea, stuffed-up nose, watery itchy eyes, head-ache, coughing, when I am around even a little cig smoke.

But even I think this demonization of smokers and ban on smoking everywhere is ridiculous. Yes, it’s more pleasant for me, but the nanny state is more dangerous. and I don’t like the idea of my fellow citizens being made into pariahs just because they have an addiction.

And I always thought Bloomberg’s ban for smoking in bars was absurd. Dude, it’s a bar. By definition it’s a place people go to unwind and indulge themselves. It’s ridiculous.

YehuditTX on September 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM

If people are stupid enough to smoke, that’s their business. Just so long as someone who doesn’t smoke doesn’t have to inhale their pollution. If breathing clean air seems unreasonable to nicotine addicts, imagine how you’d like someone pissing in your pool.

NNtrancer on September 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

What happened to personal freedom?This is america land of the free. I understand not smoking indoors because that does affect others but outside? NYC has deisel fumes cab fumes and other air pollutants that are just as bad if not worse that ciggarettes. Look we all know smoking killls you but if its outside and its not your lungs dont worry about it. Like my nana used to say “if people minded thier own business they would be busy all the time”

larry harris on September 21, 2010 at 7:17 AM

How about banning cable news channels in public?

I’d rather sit in the middle of six guys with cigars than be subjected to MSNBC or CNN in the airport.

NoDonkey on September 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I’m an ex-smoker, and I never hassle people about it. Didn’t appreciate when I smoked (heavily), and I don’t think the fact I quit gives me the right to prosletize.Smokers have been made enough of a pariah without “helpful” advice from do-gooders of all stripes.

teacherman on September 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM

But, but smoking in parks in the number one problem facing America, even greater than sharia or terrorism or creeping fascism.

Anyway, every society needs scapegoats and every other group is an accredited oppressed minority.

Personally I am against automobiles and buses. Their exhaust fumes just fill me with nausea. Why can’t every body just ride bikes or use roller skates like I do.

Dhuka on September 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

NNtrancer on September 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

You’re being ridiculous. Clean air? Have you lived near a city? How about a busy street? I’ll wager that traffic smog is more detrimental to your health than cigarette smoke blown into the air. Also, some people have terrible indoor air quality without smoking- dust, mites, bacteria, spores, etc. It just depends. This “clear air” BS is just that.

Smoking indoors- depends on who owns the place.
Smoking outside- perfectly fine.

xax on September 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Top Pick

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM
Top Pick

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”