Green Room

Breaking News: Some Stars Will Be Dancing Half-Naked to Bad Music Tonight

posted at 11:50 am on September 20, 2010 by

The event we’ve all eagerly awaited is nearly upon us:  We get to see Mark Ballas without a shirt on.  Again.

Oh, and he’s dancing with Bristol Palin.

Yes, Alaska’s other sweetheart will be taking the stage in the highly-anticipated 2-hour season debut of DWTS. (That’s Dancing With the Stars for you noobs.  Try to keep up.)  According to the UK Daily Mail (the undisputed source for insightful commentary concerning all things Palin and pop-culture), the show should be…memorable:

Her mother is expected to be in the audience Monday night to cheer Bristol on when DWTS returns for its new season on ABC.

And Bristol and Ballas are rumoured to be preparing a raunchy routine, a Cha Cha Cha set to the music of Three Dog Night’s ‘Mama Told Me (Not to Come).’

Quite whether she gets the pointed innuendo is unclear, but it may make for an uncomfortable listen for her conservative mother.  (Italics mine.)

“Whether she gets the pointed innuendo is unclear?” Really? I was a complete idiot at 19 years old, but I still recognized a dig at my mom when I made one, er, when I participated in an orchestrated performance intended as one.  Drat.  When someone else did it. Basically, she’s no dummy, folks.

Of course the real scandal here is what DWTS muzak does to classic songs, so, we have the travesty of a mangled Three Dog Night song to look forward to.  Other tunes destined to be destroyed include “We Are the Champions” which, inconceivably, will be background to a Viennese Waltz performed by Margaret Cho.

Wait, Margaret Cho…Margaret Cho…who is…?  Didn’t she write something about Sarah Palin (NSFW/Content Warning) during the campaign? But, Bristol is…

Okay, now that’s awkward.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Yes, but can she dance?

tarpon on September 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM

tarpon on September 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Not sure. The show is fun because of both talent and trainwrecks, so, anything could happen. I have a feeling she’ll be good. :)

Bee on September 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Bee on September 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Be honest; this time two years ago, did any of us even think Bristol Palin would become this much of a celebrity? Guess it was a good thing Bristol was embraced for her teen pregnancy instead of shunned and shuffled off to some abortion doctor.

Sarah and Todd, you raised a daughter with quite a bit of moxie. Take a bow.

BradSchwartze on September 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Wow, guess I’ve been under my rock too long. I’ve never seen DWTS. And didn’t know Bristol Palin was a star. Does she have a star on the Hollywood walk of fame? If so, next to whose? Jimmy Cagney? Fred Astaire?

Robert17 on September 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

It seems a show designed specifically to ‘jump it’s shark’ pretty much every season, has figured out a way for the shark to jump itself.

catmman on September 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I f**king hate reality TV.

MadisonConservative on September 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Fortunately there’s a Yankees game on tonight. And first place is on the line.

rbj on September 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

rbj on September 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Go Rays! :)

alwaysfiredup on September 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Go Palin dress and dance like a whore!

PrezHussein on September 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM

PrezHussein on September 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM

FYI- it’s Bristol, not Sarah, dancing. The costumes are pretty skimpy sometimes but nothing out of the norm for modern dance competitions. Although, different body types/ages are often more conservatively dressed.

Bee on September 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I guess it surprises liberals when the Palins have fun with the village idiots who attack them. I guess the fact that Bristol has been brought up to be as strong and independent as she is doesn’t fit in to the liberal imagery.
Both Bristol, Sarah and the rest of the family thrive on needling the left and all I hope is that Bristol does well and makes Mom proud…
by the way…
How to vote for Bristol thanks to Tammy Bruce link: http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/about-voting

PhilipJames on September 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Go away Rays! :)

alwaysfiredup on September 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM

FIFY. ;-)

rbj on September 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

What is interesting is that they end with this statement.

And after giving birth she dismissed her mother’s ultra-conservative message of abstinence as ‘not realistic at all’.

This in spite of the fact that she explicitly called for abstinence and insisting on behaving properly even when she thought that the engagement was on again.

sabbahillel on September 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Someone needs to beat the cr@p out of Margaret Cho. What makes her think Palin would want to “do” her? Just sayin…

College Prof on September 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Before you can eat, you gotta dance like Fred Astaire

mrt721 on September 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Basically, she’s no dummy, folks.

I’d really like more proof of that.

Esthier on September 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Looks like Palin won’t be there.

via Twitter:

SWEET diversion from politics! Dancing W’The Stars party in r livingroom tonight w/friends who r lovin’ this change of pace 4 Sweet Bristol!

portlandon on September 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I was surprised & saddened to learn that Kurt Warner would be dancing with someone other than his wife. Faith through adversity made him a great man, but wealth & fame seem to have diminished him. *sigh*

itsnotaboutme on September 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

itsnotaboutme on September 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

The practice highlight clip showed him bringing his entire family to rehearsal and at the end of his dance, he didn’t stay with his partner (which appears customary) but walked across the stage to publicly kiss his wife. His kids were also there cheering him on.

Bee on September 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Bristol has been brought up to be as strong and independent as she is

Sorry, I would be appalled to have my daughters appear on this idiotic show.

Dressed like slatterns with some loser pawing them on national television.

And she’s got a child at home. Awful.

NoDonkey on September 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM

itsnotaboutme on September 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Why, is she a professional dancer? There’s nothing immoral about dancing with someone who isn’t your wife.

Dressed like slatterns with some loser pawing them on national television.

And she’s got a child at home. Awful.

NoDonkey on September 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM

It’s a dance, not simulated sex. Some of you are way too judgmental. I don’t think this is a good move on her part (or anyone’s part really – reality shows need to die), but there’s nothing immoral about dancing.

Esthier on September 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Esthier on September 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Slight issue here. Some of the acts/costumes on DWTS are gratuitous (naughty schoolgirl, for one) and a lot of what passes for dance is quite provocative (although some dance styles are more suggestive as a whole). I probably wouldn’t let hormonal kids watch it.

Secondly, reality shows are like candy — some people don’t like it, has absolutely no nutritional value, tons of variety to suit individual tastes but revolting when consumed in large quantities. I’m an addict, I confess. (Though I do prefer cooking/design competitions above all.)

Bee on September 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I suppose I disagree. Dance costumes are always going to be a little risque, but that’s not usually the purpose of the costume. It’s more that they need to be able to see their bodies, all of it. I’ve never liked watching men do ballet, but I’ve never thought they were immoral because they show themselves off like that.

The shows that are actually made for hormonal kids do more to titillate.

That said, I don’t have kids and have never seen the show, just pictures or clips of it.

Bee on September 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I’ll admit that was completely gratuitously insulting on my part. There are plenty of programs I watch that are total trash. Someone’s Snooki is another person’s Kenneth Branagh, though I imagine he’d feel a little sick even sharing that sentence with her.

Esthier on September 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Edyta quit,no point in watching.

DDT on September 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I’m sorry to have ruffled some feathers here, but it’s just wrong to spend that many hours holding, spinning, grabbing, & caressing a woman who not your wife.

itsnotaboutme on September 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM

You apparently don’t know how men are prone to think.

itsnotaboutme on September 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM