Green Room

Feeling fat? Let’s regulate airbrushing, say UK advocacy groups

posted at 4:32 pm on August 4, 2010 by

I’m going out on a limb here: Were I to be in a magazine photo shoot in anything other than a burqa, well, anything…I’m going to demand some airbrushing.  I’d be perfectly fine looking like an idealized digital self on the remote chance I’d have to bare skin for something. Granted, it irks me slightly that already thin models are whittled down to even skinnier proportions.  But, I simply consider that part of the beauty industry.  Much of it is fake, right down to the false eyelashes I’m considering for the company Christmas formal this year.  Plus, I know I’m not actually forced to contemplate Gisele’s physique in Cosmo, am I?

But, what if I weren’t okay with the manipulated images of models and starlets we all ogle from time to time?  What if my self-esteem were so fragile that I wanted to end all false “advertisement” on those glossy covers to relieve my body-angst?  Maybe we could create a Body Image Czar to monitor female self-worth and regulate airbrushing!

Ridiculous, right?  Not going to happen…except it might.  In the UK.

Long known as the vanguard of the Nanny State Movement, the current Equalities minister, Lynne Featherstone, said last month that she wanted to see an end to airbrushing, or at least the addition of a disclaimer indicating that an image has been doctored.  No worries though, advertisers.  It’s not a mandate, just friendly advice, reports the BBC:

She said she had “no desire to impose regulation or restriction on advertisers or others” and hoped they’d make changes to their practices on a voluntary basis.

Why does that fail to convince me, Lynne?  Might it be because so many “good intentions” somehow end up in the law books these days?

Considering this cause has been gathering steam from fem-advocacy groups and scout organizations like Girlguiding UK, is it feasible such legislation could be on the horizon?  Well, yes:

Ms Burnley said: “We know how profoundly they feel the pressure to conform to a particular body image and how badly they can be affected by these unobtainable ideals.

“We are proud to support the calls of our members who believe that it is time that the prime minister addressed their concerns and acted in the interests of girls and young women across the country.”

Some 20,000 Guides currently taking part in an annual camp in West Yorkshire are being encouraged to sign a petition calling for David Cameron to introduce a law forcing magazines to inform readers when photographs have been airbrushed.

Because really, Cameron doesn’t have other pressing issues to deal with besides the hurt feelings of girls who probably could stand to have their own mothers address their body issues instead of relying on the government to nurture them.  It’s exhausting having to constantly remind people what the role of government is and…isn’t.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there a time when the Brits were known for their good sense?

Ah well, that’s across the pond.  It isn’t as if things that happen in Europe ever inform our own politicians and policies.  This kind of government intrusion into our personal lives would never happen here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

And I’m going to demand the untouched photos.

MadisonConservative on August 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

And I’m going to demand the untouched photos.

MadisonConservative on August 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM

…for blackmail, undoubtedly!

Your motives are…suspect. 🙂

Bee on August 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Stop griping, it’s for the children… That makes everything okay.

Laura Curtis on August 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM

This is a perfect companion to the story about a help wanted ad in England that had been refused posting on the grounds that it said they were looking for ‘reliable people’ … and that of course, discriminates against unreliable people.

I used to think equality had positive connotations before the government starting using it to micromanage every aspect of people’s lives. In this case, the Brits will enjoy becoming equal to women that apparently have issues with how they view themselves.

One day, it is my hope that we will all be as equally damaged as the most fragile, maladjusted and generally insensible people in society and we can count ourselves fortunate that the government will make sure of it through regulations and helpful messages plastered all over our consumer products.

Heralder on August 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Well, Featherstone is onto something there. I’ve finally realized that the reason I’m not more gorgeous, skinny, brilliant, and rich than I am is that I’ve been ruined — ruined, I tell you — by all the deceitful airbrushing I’ve been subjected to in the magazines all these years.

Someone ought to have to pay me a lot of money in damages.

Meanwhile, I figure I’m doing the world a service. The Apocalypse can’t come until I’ve lost 20 pounds and gotten the den cleaned up.

J.E. Dyer on August 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Top Pick

“I hope to encourage them to take personal responsibility…”

“I ain’t serving no police”

“I think a lot of Trump’s voters have as one of their primary objectives just stopping the cultural corruption that’s taking place.”

“Don’t take away my health care or you die.”

“We must all do our best to get rid of this tyrant.”

Rosenstein: Comey broke with DoJ norms on memo leak.

“Nobody has ever accused me of pulling any weapon on them.”

“Fourteen people had stab wounds, cuts and bruises, with two of the injured surviving critical stab wounds.”

Okay… you first.

“We should repeal it and replace, and we shouldn’t leave town until this is complete.”

“He feels like he is being thrown under the bus …”

“McCain has always been a fighter”

Ed Morrissey Jul 20, 2017 8:41 AM

“Cancer doesn’t know what it’s up against.”

They may be on to something

How capitalism averted the bee-pocalypse

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 9:31 PM

“there are more honeybee colonies in the country today than in nearly 25 years.”

CBO releases estimate on Obamacare repeal

John Sexton Jul 19, 2017 8:31 PM

“The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law.”

Kasich: Fix Obamacare with more spending

Jason Hart Jul 19, 2017 8:01 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich wants Congress to “fix” Obamacare’s insurance exchanges with more federal spending

“This is a momentous decision.”

“One was told that she—her skin was too light and that she needed to listen to people of darker colored skin…”

Disruptor?

Time off without pay for play

The new DOJ guidelines on asset forfeiture are obscene

Taylor Millard Jul 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

“We’re just wondering what happened there.”

“This is an attempt at a political intervention.”

The blame game

“Inaction is not an option.”

“You have no feelings. You Christians are all racists.”

Whoflubdits.