Green Room

This Could Be Happening: Kate Gosselin Goes Camping With Sarah Palin

posted at 1:36 pm on July 23, 2010 by

Because Bristol and Levi’s engagement announcement in Us Weekly just wasn’t enough, In Touch reports that Kate Gosselin and children have filmed an episode of Kate + Eight in Alaska…with Sarah Palin:

Forget ex-husband JonKate Gosselin could rename her TLC hit Sarah & Kate Plus 8! In Touch can exclusively reveal that Kate and her brood have traveled to Alaska with cameras in tow to meet up with the northern state’s most famous resident, Sarah Palin. “Sarah, Kate and the kids will go camping,” a source says, adding that Sarah’s father, a retired science teacher, and brother, a third-grade educator, will conduct a hands-on natural history lesson for 9-year-old twins Mady and Cara, and 6-year-old sextuplets Aaden, Joel, Collin, Leah, Hannah and Alexis. A mother of a big family herself, former vice presidential candidate Sarah is thrilled about the upcoming visit. “She’s excited because it will be fun and educational for the children. Sarah will even teach Kate how to avoid bears!” the insider adds.

Kate Gosselin is no stranger to the odd scandal, even if most were the antics of her browbeaten lump of an ex- husband, Jon. While I’m not necessarily opposed to the show concept itself, one wonders what the logic was in approving the project.  If Sarah wishes to avoid the indelible stain of reality TV notoriety, would taping one with Kate “Dancing with the Stars” Gosselin be the way to go?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

UPDATE Well, this is awkward.  (via MadisonConservative)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wouldn’t bother me in the least. Sarah is brilliant at using the media, so if this is true, somehow Sarah will make it work.

It will probably air about half way through her Alaska series to get the media all juiced up again. Will bet the top rated show on TV that night – maybe the week.

huckleberryfriend on July 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I personally think good for them. Hopefully Sarah will bring along some .22LRs, .17 HMRs, and BB Guns to teach the kids how to shoot various pop cans, milk jugs, coffee cans and fruit. I’m sure they’d have a blast. ;)

McBaine on July 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM

This makes sense from a TV business standpoint. Hate + 8 is on TLC. Palin’s upcoming Alaska show is on TLC. It’s simple cross promotion.

SnarkVader on July 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Great!! More crap for the media to snark about.

If this is true, she probably got talked into doing it by the fine folks at TLC. Try to get Kate viewers to tune into Palin’s show.

Ugh…

LurkerDood on July 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM

It’s obvious Sarah doesn’t make all her decisions based on what it does for her political career. True, that may come back to bite her, but I still find her attitude appealing: “To h*ll with it!”

Animator Girl on July 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

huckleberryfriend on July 23, 2010

I’m sure you’re right.
I always start humming “Moon River” when I see your name.

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Didn’t the guys from American Chopper go visit Governor Palin in Alaska after the 2008 election?

Didn’t Michelle Obama appear on a reality cooking show challenge last year?

Isn’t Mike Huckabee a talk show host?

portlandon on July 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

katiejane@6/19.
How about you and some here think about what Sarah and her family are willing to do to help those kids for kate? DO you really think Sarah is SO stupid to help someone with kids that have been under the msm for their entire life that they can not have a single fun time? Sarah’s g-kid is under the same msm attack. Could it be that Sarah and family actully loves children? Both have husbands and might be husbands that are slug slimes! I have never and do not ever intend to watch this kate and kids, or someone who has 50 kids and counting! If this event on what Sarah is doing will make a difference as to how you vote, shame on you! BTW, if our Republic hinges on these who or what gets the viewers vote on did you sing good, or did you dance good we are sol!
L

letget on July 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM

What if Sarah shoots an animal? Gasp?

faraway on July 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Didn’t Michelle Obama appear on a reality cooking show challenge last year?

Isn’t Mike Huckabee a talk show host?

portlandon on July 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

American Chopper is okay but wasn’t there some sort of poll where Americans overwhelming didn’t like Jon and Kate’s kids being exploited on tv?

LurkerDood on July 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM

It’s a rumor that bubbled up from the blogs according to WaPo http://bit.ly/b9P8mv

debg on July 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM

This had better be untrue.

Bugler on July 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM

TLC does a lot of crossover visits on the shows. Both Kate and Mrs. Dugger visited the store where “Say Yes to the Dress” to buy gowns for vow renewal ceremonies. Obviously it didn’t work out so well for Jon and Kate. I love those little kids, they are so cute and funny.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I think it would be groovy if Sarah, Kate and the kids traveled around the country in a psychedelic bus, singin’ songs and makin’ people happy.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM

“Say Yes to the Dress”
Cindy Munford on July 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I.Love.That.Show. :)

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Rumors. Palin. Reality TV.

So far, none have been true, despite the obvious desperate wishes of the celebrity blogs and entertainment media complex.

I detect a pattern here.

Someone in entertainment media, or a hanger on in the blogosphere, hears about Palin + TV, and instantly it is turned into a reality show, because that is what they want it to be.

HotAir runs with the rumor, then reports a day or two later it was never true.

Rinse, repeat.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM

My first reaction was that Sarah feels sorry for Kate because she’s raising all those children by herself…

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I saw one episode of the show, back before the hubby bailed out. Kate Gosselin’s behavior towards her husband and kids was downright nasty.

If Sarah Palin is feeling sorry for anybody, I hope it is for those poor kids.

JA on July 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

HotAir runs with the rumor, then reports a day or two later it was never true.

Rinse, repeat.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Don’t indict all of HA because of my post. It wont be a problem for me to retract this if it proves false. It was in the news. Deal with it.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Me to, I want to work in a bridal shop now. It seems easier then renovating my house.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM

…but that being said, how sleazy could camping, with the kids getting nature lessons from Sarah’s aged dad, be?
Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I know you’re not trying to be funny, but…

Buy Danish on July 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM

If Sarah Palin is feeling sorry for anybody, I hope it is for those poor kids.

JA on July 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I’ve never seen the show, but “knowing” Sarah, it sounds like her…and the gentle tutelage of Mr. Heath should be just the ticket (and he gets to teach again, in the bargain).
Maybe her mother can lend a helping hand also.
They seem like such sweet people.

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I know you’re not trying to be funny, but…

Buy Danish on July 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM

But…what?

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM

If her show is for TLC and Kate+8 is on TLC perhaps there was a contractual obligation or the network pushed it to promote both shows. I would not think Palin would seek this out on her own because of the ‘tabloidyness’ of Kate Gosselin. Doesn’t she get enough of it from her daughter and future son-in-law?

fsalw3 on July 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM

lol so much ~hand wringing~! Go buy some lotion now, lest you rub the skin clean off.

How many times must it be repeated that Sarah Palin’s instincts pay off? Was Hot Air not clanging the klaxons about the “Death of Palin’s Future in Politics” when she resigned the AK Governorship?

I, personally, believe this story is true (sorry, deniers). And — so what? Here’s the thing:

1. We know next to NOTHING about this “Alaska” project and what it will entail aside from “Promoting Alaska.”
2. Mark Burnett (producer) is a businessman.
3. Ratings.

Not to say “Sarah Palin’s Alaska” wouldn’t get a lot of ratings and PR ~without~ this, but the series is going to be combed over again and again anyway.

If the pitched/supposed “hook” is “introducing Americans to Alaska” — what better way than to feature a story-arc about suburban, mid-Atlantic (PA) kids and their mom experiencing the “wonders” of rugged Alaska?

The primary focus will probably be Alaska.
The secondary focus is the family “experiencing” Alaska.
The “hook” is Kate and her kids, because an “average” family would be a ratings snore — not to mention combed over and over and over on whether or not they’re “plants” (Joe the Plumber treatment?).

So, given that, why not spotlight Kate and her 8? It’s not only great cross-promotion, but millions of Americans are already familiar with this particular family’s life. It will generate interest. And it just might “soften” the image of Kate + 8, while still promoting Alaska (the supposed topic).

Mark Burnett does this constantly, with “stuntcasts” to hook viewers into Survivor, for example. From Olympic athletes (Crystal Cox) and ex-NFL Quarterbacks (Gary Hogeboom) to former pop stars/sportswives (Taj Johnson-George) and former beauty queens (Amanda Kimmel), television — in general — relies on these “hooks.”

I’m not saying it’s a brilliant move for Sarah Palin politically, but it’s certainly smart to angle into the show which will educate the everyday about Alaska — a locale stereotyped to Hell-and-back since Sarah’s VP nod.

And this show has a political motive to undo those mischaracterizations.

It’s TV, and it is smart given the framework for all around: for Kate Gosselin, for Sarah Palin, and for the producers and the network. Let’s see how the show eventually rolls out before buying into a “stuntcast” being the ultimate death-knell of Palin’s political aspirations.

It certainly is not as incendiary as bringing homophobic pastors to your own rallies while saying you’re the champion of gay rights, in requisite parsel-tongue, after all.

But hey. I’m not a member of JournoList, so how do I know?

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

SnarkVader on July 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Exactly!

Animator Girl on July 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

“Politically, if I die, I die, but I won’t sit down and I won’t shut up” ~Sarah Palin, June 2009

Didn’t Michelle Obama appear on a reality cooking show challenge last year?

Isn’t Mike Huckabee a talk show host?

portlandon on July 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Yup, in fact, Paul Sr has a standing invitation to go for a ride up there with Sarah and Todd.

gary4205 on July 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Calm down. No one is “wringing hands” and my post is no reflection of either AP or Ed. I merely posted what I thought. As I said to another commenter: it’s in the news. Cope.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM

You of course have the freedom to write what you want, and allahpundit’s free to link it.

However, commenters have every right to question why you selected this “news story” for your piece…

Rather than this (http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/99071294.html)

for example.

cs89 on July 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Well, I like Kate and the kids so I’m excited by the possibility of seeing Sarah on the show. I imagine they’d get along pretty well. Both strong women, devoted mothers, Christians. I used to think Kate was unbearable when her tool of a husband was still part of the show, but after seeing his behavior after they split up, she has all my sympathy. Given his newfound friendship with Levi, the ladies will probably have plenty to talk about off camera. ;)

And as someone upthread noted, TLC is a Discovery network. Sarah’s show will be debuting on Discovery soon. Do the math: It’s simple cross-promotion. Nothing wrong with that.

NoLeftTurn on July 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

“Bee”:

I’m assuming you’re also “Diane Suffern” (I genuinely don’t know, since idk how Green Room works between published story nom-de-plume and commentary pseudonym, but based on your comments throughout, I assume you are).

My earlier comment was not directed at the post about the story/you. It was about the comments attached to this story, in general (the “hand-wringing” and the “deniers”).

You requested we “discuss amongst ourselves.” I did as much.

Mea culpa?

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I have a really bad feeling that something awful is going to happen scandal wise with the Palins. We have Levi skulking around doing God knows what, Bristol is on the outs and now a potential loose canon, what a great time to Put Sarah herself knee deep in the garbage heap that is Kate Gosselin. The camping trip doesn’t sound bad at all and will be neat for the kids, but you know the liberal media is gonna be loving it. They’re just itching to tag her with the reality TV thing to further tarnish her image.

jonezee on July 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Relax. There are no indictments coming.

I said a pattern. One post by you does not a pattern make, but Allah did the same thing the other day, another realty show rumor that fizzled out in 48hrs.

Back when the Alaska documentary deal was being struck, some entertainment media assumed it was a reality show and ran with the rumors, they showed up here.

Then the truth came along behind.
Documentary, no reality show.

I know that these Palin rumors do attract traffic and high comment totals. I’m not indicting anyone just noticing a pattern of Palin reality show rumor stories.

Deal with it.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

jonezee on July 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

lol

Your concern is noted.

Naturally, after talking to everyone from the local librarian to Palin’s hairdresser to the former Wasilla Mayor (D, by the way), and sticking a PDS-libtard right next to her house, clearly “A SCANDAL BE BREWIN’, MATEYS~!!!!”

lol

‘kay. I’ll file that one with the “Divorce!” rumors and the “FBI INVESTIGATION IS WHY SHE RESIGNED!” wishful thinking. Shall I summon Jimminy Cricket for you? After all, “When you wish upon a [northern] star~!”

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I would never watch that trash. *cough*

Now, The Bachelor/ette, Dating in the Dark, My Fair Wedding, Bridezillas, Project Runway, Top Chef, Design Star, Kitchen Nightmares, True Life, 16 and Pregnant? Possibly…

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, but what about the Real Housewives? ;)

NoLeftTurn on July 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM

cs89 on July 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

hmm. Random sink holes? Sarah Palin? Random sink holes? Sarah Palin? Yeah…on a political blog, sink holes seem like the right choice.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM

It’s in the news. You’re stronger for reading it and formulating a cogent response. Stop blaming the messenger for reporting what’s out there, speculation or not.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM

NoLeftTurn on July 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I’ve tried…can’t get into it. They suck, utterly.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Oh, FFS.

This I will posit to you, and directly this time:

Do not play the victim. “I am just a messenger! I am Hermes! Go after Athena, the dark lady mastermindress!”

And for me to say that takes a lot considering it’s coming out of the mouth of a Hillary PUMA.

That’s twice — just on page 2 of this comment thread — you’ve tried to boomerang back that somehow any criticism of anti-Palin “meme-du-jour”-isming (my personal, elongated, “refudiate”, ps), whether vis-a-vis drive-by comments or over-arching media narrative itself, is somehow reflective on your post itself.

Just don’t. It’s weak.

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Why the hostility?

I’m not blaming or criticizing anyone, you or Allah for having these posts.

I’m simply pointing out that this is the third or forth time I can think of off the top of my head that there have been rumors floating around about a Palin reality show.

Those rumors always seem to start with the TMZ/Entertainment Tonight crowd, then the lefty blogs pick it up, then the MSNBC ticker gets it, it winds up here because, yes, people are talking about it, then along comes the follow up post that it was never true.

The thrust of my point is not to beat up on you or HotAir generally, just that I think the entertainment media complex as a whole really want Sarah Palin moved from a political story to a fluffy Paris Hilton type story, becuase they hate her relevance and opposition to their Messiah.

That is all I’m saying. Am I wrong about that?

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM

It appears to be another moment for Sarah to show herself as a human being and completely unlike the media template that’s been floated around for 2 years.

After reading the posts on Journolist, you can get the drift of how the press people were really concerned about her and that most of what they put out was lies. I wonder if the Journolist story will ever find its way into the homes of average Americans?

bflat879 on July 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Lots of things are “in the news” every day. You can spend literally seconds finding dozens of celebrity rumors on TMZ and the like. A good blogger should be capable of noting when a story is thinly sourced by a gossip website.

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens with this story, but as of now as far as I know, it’s still just a rumor and it would have been easy to point that out in the post.

Either way, I find the change in the headline from “This Is Happening” to “This Could Be Happening” – without any note or update in the post itself – to be telling and a bit sneaky too. Disappointing.

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I noticed that too, although I don’t know if I would call it “sneaky”. Benefit of the doubt, I say.

Brian1972 on July 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM

But…what?
Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Just pretend it’s not the Palin’s we’re talking about, just some old man giving “nature lessons” to little girls.

Buy Danish on July 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Sarah Palin should take a public, proctored IQ test, administered by Mensa, and challenge any and all journalists, political aspirants, and seated politicians who have been/are critical of her to take the test simultaneously.

One of the reasons journalists end up as journalists, and actors as actors, and talking-heads as talking-heads is that they simply DON’T HAVE THE ANALYTICAL CHOPS to make it into law school, med school or pass a CPA or CFA test. They are “feelers,” with high verbal abilities, but little math/analytical ability. I knew a few with greatly variable SAT scores: 700 verbal, 480 math, and the like.

On the other hand, if she didn’t have an SAT score above 1200, she is probably in the 115 range, which is above the threshold for competence in any field — the physicist Richard Feynmann famously had an IQ of 120 — but it WOULD SHUT UP HER DETRACTORS FOR GOOD on the Palin = Quayle alinskyist attacks upon her ever since her speech at the RNR resulted in a 22% swing of female voters, and the Obama/McCain polling numbers crossed for the first time in the race, putting McCain slightly ahead. The JournOlist types declared open war immediately when it became apparent that her swinging the female vote might make The One vulnerable.

wordwarp on July 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Ooohh. Yeah, super sneaky to clarify one’s humorous approach to a topic. The phrase “This is Happening” isn’t something I came up with myself…it’s commonly used. I merely altered it to to ease the acid reflux certain Palin fans were experiencing. Call it charity.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Victimization. Quit it.

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Victimization. Quit it.

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Pardon?

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Pardon?

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Pardon? What — have my previous comments been translated into Thai? CURSE YOU, HOT AIR!

I said it already:
Stop saying you’re “just the messenger” when you jump the gun on anyone defending Palin or drawing the connection between “Palinpalooza” and “cheap hit traffic.”

This is strike three. “I’m just the messenger.” “Calm down.”

When “Discuss amongst yourselves” becomes a raison detre for you to defend yourself, it isn’t much of a discussion, now is it? Yet this is what you’re doing: “how dare you attack lil’ ol’ me?” is the response to even the most placid of commentary that might dare refudiate (!) the intellectual honesty contained herein.

In short: stop flailing about and whining that those big-bad Palinistas are being ~so vicious~ in defending Palin on this topic or discussing the hit-hit-hit-hit-hit-1UP~~~!!! points achieved by commercial sites like HotAir and why they promulgate sensationalist Palin trash.

You are no Hermes. Stop making yourself the victim.

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Bee,

I notice you chose not to address this part of my comment-

“One’s subject matter often reflects an interest or opinion the writer holds or finds fascinating, no?
cs89 on July 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I addressed your “don’t shoot the messenger, it’s NEWS” point by highlighting the truth that you are selective in what you choose to write about. Your right. Commenter’s right to ask, “hmmm, why is she pushing this rumor?”. Though.

Deal with it. I read that somewhere recently.

cs89 on July 23, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Thanks. I understood the usage the first time. Not sure why you’d change it if you truly thought it was humorous.

Ed and Allah routinely note in updates when they’ve changed something in the post, including in the headline. It’s not difficult.

Like I said earlier, if this story turns out to be true I think it’s a terrible move by Palin. My issue is with bloggers running with gossip items as if they’re 100% confirmed, and then becoming aggressive and condescending toward anyone who takes issue with their reporting.

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Buy Danish on July 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I’m sorry to say that I was worried you were thinking “dirty old man.”
Take a trip down memory lane and look at some movies from the past, especially the 30′s, 40′s, 50′s and 60′s, in which older men spend quality time with children and there’s nothing nasty about it.

Our society and our culture has sunk to a low point indeed.
Maybe a show where we can see 2 families camping as families, where the grandfather–who’s been a lifelong teacher–giving the kids a nature lessons is long overdue.
It’s time for America to get out of the gutter/toilet/sewer!

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 10:38 PM

lansing quaker on July 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I love this post. :)

I’m not sure if I believe it or not, but it certainly seems plausible, for all the reasons you state. It would be a good business move and I’m doubtful it would be the death knell for her political career as some here opine. HA’s audience is decidedly anti-pop culture I’ve noticed. There is a lot of disdain for TV programming in general here, and esp. for reality shows. HA readers might think Kate Plus Eight is the absolute garbage, but it’s a popular show and a lot of people watch it. And probably many of them are they type who get their political news from the likes of “The View” and Jon Stewart. I submit it would only be beneficial for Palin to reach this audience so she can help reshape the absurd narrative that the MSM has painted of her.

Besides, the show originally started out as a nice, family show about two young parents raising two sets of multiples. It only went off the rails when the show surged in popularity and the marriage started falling apart. And Kate could be a real pain in the azz for sure but now that I’ve seen what a f*** up Jon is, I don’t know if I blame her. The new and improved show seems to be back to what it was originally: wholesome family fun. Last week they built a chicken coop.

I do wonder, tho, if people would be so disdainful if Palin met up with, say, the Duggars.

NoLeftTurn on July 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM