Green Room

This Could Be Happening: Kate Gosselin Goes Camping With Sarah Palin

posted at 1:36 pm on July 23, 2010 by

Because Bristol and Levi’s engagement announcement in Us Weekly just wasn’t enough, In Touch reports that Kate Gosselin and children have filmed an episode of Kate + Eight in Alaska…with Sarah Palin:

Forget ex-husband JonKate Gosselin could rename her TLC hit Sarah & Kate Plus 8! In Touch can exclusively reveal that Kate and her brood have traveled to Alaska with cameras in tow to meet up with the northern state’s most famous resident, Sarah Palin. “Sarah, Kate and the kids will go camping,” a source says, adding that Sarah’s father, a retired science teacher, and brother, a third-grade educator, will conduct a hands-on natural history lesson for 9-year-old twins Mady and Cara, and 6-year-old sextuplets Aaden, Joel, Collin, Leah, Hannah and Alexis. A mother of a big family herself, former vice presidential candidate Sarah is thrilled about the upcoming visit. “She’s excited because it will be fun and educational for the children. Sarah will even teach Kate how to avoid bears!” the insider adds.

Kate Gosselin is no stranger to the odd scandal, even if most were the antics of her browbeaten lump of an ex- husband, Jon. While I’m not necessarily opposed to the show concept itself, one wonders what the logic was in approving the project.  If Sarah wishes to avoid the indelible stain of reality TV notoriety, would taping one with Kate “Dancing with the Stars” Gosselin be the way to go?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

UPDATE Well, this is awkward.  (via MadisonConservative)

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wait…Kate Gosselin…wife of the guy who was hanging out with Levi in Times Square not too long ago?

WTF?

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Epic Fail. I actually thought highly of the ‘Cuda until now. This is trash stuff.

WitchDoctor on July 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Kate Gosselin and Levi Johnston hook up !
More babies on the way…
Film at 11.

Jeff2161 on July 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Need. Link. Now. :)

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Pretty lame, though it does reveal her in a very positive way to a large audience that is otherwise unengaged politically.

WashingtonsWake on July 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Need. Link. Now. :)

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Here ya go.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I wonder, could this camping trip with Sarah be what Sarah donated to Glenn for his 8/28 in DC? Sarah donated this trip to the highest bidder for Glenn’s effort and the to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation? It could be kate or her people got the highest bid? I think this should be looked into! Frankly, if private citizen Sarah wants to have someone go camping with her, it is her choice, IMO.
L

letget on July 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Laugh out Loud funny. This needs to be promoted now.

PrezHussein on July 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM

There’s no other word for this but cheesy.

JA on July 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Ick. This has got to be a joke/hoax/put-on, no?

Uh-unh, I cannot believe Sarah would voluntarily jump straight into that fetid tabloid swamp if she harbors even the slenderest wisp of Presidential ambition.

Even her biggest critics would credit her for having more sense than this.

leilani on July 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Okay…wait a minute…how in the holy mother of f**k did I know more about something involving a reality TV star than you? I feel dirty now.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM

leilani on July 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Believe.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Shhh. No one has to know about your closet-love for reality TV. Our talks about Ali’s heart being broken by Frank on The Bachelorette is our little secret.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Who? What?

joe_doufu on July 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Do Not Want

thebrokenrattle on July 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I wonder how Cabalist will spin this one?

Theworldisnotenough on July 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM

How dare you.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM

First reaction: A gut-churning Rrrrrrrrr.
Second reaction: Wait and see how it turns out.

I’m forming a hypothesis here: One of the worst problems conservatives have is that MSM smothers all our (many) positive stories and trumpets all our (relatively fewer) negative ones to the heavens.

What if both Sarah Palin and Andrew Breitbart figured out, presumably independently, that the only way to break the MSM embargo at all is to be “caught” “making a mistake”?

Mary in LA on July 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM

My gut reaction was
1)She’s not running in 2012. She’s just drawing fire from other candidates until then. At one time maybe she was thinking about it but the Levi problem will be too big. Not the PR problem but the actual personal family issues. Waiting a few years for the Levi issue to settle down and then re-enter the race.
2)She’s trying to find out info or build a relationship because of that Levi-Jon scumbag summit.
3) If she’s not running now, she’s just having fun doing what she wants to do in the meantime. Not what would be politically best for a campaign, but just living her life like she wants to do.

All of this could be wrong and not saying I agree with it if any of this is true. But I do root for Palin.

redeye on July 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I’d feel better if I knew she’d already decided against 2012.

Esthier on July 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I’d feel better if I knew she’d already decided against 2012.

Esthier on July 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I’d recommend stocking up on Rolaids. ;-) As long as she’s on the fence, the media won’t know quite how to treat her. Keeping them guessing (i.e. screwing with their heads!) is an incredibly valuable service that she’s performing, whether she winds up running in 2012 or not.

Mary in LA on July 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Remember, folks, Ronald Reagan starred in “Bedtime for Bonzo”, and he still made it to the White House!

:-)

Mary in LA on July 23, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Believe.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Oy. Every one else’s mileage may very, but this certainly settles the question for me about whether or not she’s too unserious.

I’d feel better if I knew she’d already decided against 2012.

Esthier on July 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Ya, that makes two of us. Strangely enough, if I knew she had NO presidential ambitions whatsoever & chose to do this I could still respect her. But only in that case.

leilani on July 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM

The Palin lovers continue to refuse to see the truth. The woman love the spotlight and will do anything for attention. She’s a celebrity, not a serious politician. But she just may be dim enough to think that being the former will help her in her quest to become the latter.

I’m still cringing about her “Watch The Insider!” promo. I know Obama has taken the conflation of politics with celebrity to a whole new level, but can you imagine a Paul Ryan or a Chris Christie stooping to such superficial antics?

First rule of politics: perception is reality. Palin is as big a narcissist as Obama, and thinks she can rewrite the rules. She can’t. But it is perversely entertaining watching the Palin worshippers’ attempts to excuse or spin her increasingly strange decisions.

Meredith on July 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Mary in LA on July 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Really I should just be less educated on partisan politics and more educated on history and political philosophy. I think that’s the only way I’ll be able to keep the Rolaids in their cabinet.

leilani on July 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I could still respect her, but I don’t think I’d be able to take her seriously as a candidate. Her best way to the White House, in my opinion of course, was to finish her second term as governor in Alaska without any major scandals. Since she can no longer do that, she needs some sort of way to gain credibility, and reality TV just doesn’t cut it.

Esthier on July 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM

In the age of Obama, that’s not a dim view but an educated one. It’s the Republicans who mess up in believing old boring white men make good candidates. Bob Dole and John McCain and even Bush Sr. were all horrible candidates.

Sarah Palin is the only reason McCain stood a chance.

Meredith on July 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM

No, but do you think they stand much of a chance in being elected either? It’s not necessarily that she does these things that makes her a bad candidate. It’s that she does these things and doesn’t have Obama’s Ivy League credentials or even Bush’s experience.

She needs something to balance the perception that she’s dumb and instead she just keeps adding more to the celebrity column.

It’s not impossible for her to win. She’s still very young.

Esthier on July 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Esthier, I think maybe you and I should both buy stock in Johnson & Johnson (makers of Rolaids). At this rate, I may not have any stomach lining left by November! :-P

Mary in LA on July 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Yeah, sigh. Richard Nixon famously appeared on a TV comedy show, but he needed to loosen up his overly-buttoned-down image with the public. Sarah is going into this carrying with her the widespread perception that she’s not a serious figure deserving of high office & yet rather than work hard to dispel the stereotype, she instead chose to cement that perception of flightiness with this ridiculous move.

I’ve had my run-ins with the hard-core Palin fanatics for not being worshipful enough, but I have some real sympathy for them today. My expectations for her were never anywhere near as high as theirs already were, but even I am completely dumbfounded. How must they feel? Sheesh.

leilani on July 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Gack. Ee-yeeuwww. Pftooey.

J.E. Dyer on July 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM

My BS meter is buzzing on this story. I am skeptical. InTouch Weekly appears to be the only one actually reporting it (others are just linking them) and they only quote an anonymous “source” whom they later call “an insider.” And the Gosselins “were seen in Anchorage.”

That’s it.

No one from the Palin camp or from TLC appears to be confirming.

We shall see, I guess.

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Does Bristol plan on earning a living by posing for covers for the rest of her life? I won’t bother asking about the boytoy because I already know the answer.

Sure she may say as long as they keep offering money and of course it won’t last. However, the money is addictive. She has no other marketable skills. Levi will never be able to support her. Did he even finish high school? After a while they will start doing things to get attention so magazines will buy their photos.

Blake on July 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Blake on July 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM

AFAIK she is enrolled in college classes and is working at least one job.

Inanemergencydial on July 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I was snookered by the last reality show report, so I’ve got plenty of salt.

You know, it’s not the most embarrassing premise in the world. Mrs. Obama goes on Sesame Street to talk about nutrition and of course no one has a problem with that. Sure it’s awkward to be talking to puppets, but ultimately it’s for the kids.

Has Kate + 8 become standard family fare? Maybe it has. Will this episode be nominally more informative than a typical Kate + 8 ep? I expect it will.

alwaysfiredup on July 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Has Kate + 8 become standard family fare? Maybe it has.

alwaysfiredup on July 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Right. A show that used to be called “Jon and Kate”. A story about a couple that splits up because they’re both publicity-hungry whores who could give two s**ts about their children. Real family fare.

Seriously, if Palin fanatics defend this, after everything else, they’ve truly abandoned all reason.

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Let’s first see if it’s really happening. Contra the title of this post, it’s pretty thinly sourced at the moment.

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM

MadisonConservative on July 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I was asking because I don’t know. I don’t watch the show anymore, although I used to. And when I saw the show, I didn’t think it was about the parents at all. It was about the kids who are ridiculously cute. It’s possible that it’s a show people watch with their kids. We sure can’t watch network TV with ours.

alwaysfiredup on July 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM

AFAIK she is enrolled in college classes and is working at least one job.

Inanemergencydial on July 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Oh, great. Now she will have classes, a job, and TWO babies to care for.

Blake on July 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM

L
letget on July 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

And it is also the right of private citizen voters to think that a potential POTUS camping with ditzy Kate of reality TV fame seems rather shallow. Of course many Americans devote an inordinate amount of time hanging on to the reality shows like American Idol, Survior, Think You Can Dance, etc. If Americans weren’t interested in those programs they wouldn’t be all over the schedule. Also how many get their panties in a twist when politicians smooze with talk show hosts, go on Sesame Street, etc?

The best we can hope for is that this story turns out as off the mark as the original story about Palin’s TV series.

katiejane on July 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM

katiejane on July 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I would never watch that trash. *cough*

Now, The Bachelor/ette, Dating in the Dark, My Fair Wedding, Bridezillas, Project Runway, Top Chef, Design Star, Kitchen Nightmares, True Life, 16 and Pregnant? Possibly…

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Missy on July 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM

My title was rather tongue-in-cheek. Do trust, if Kate and kids were merely visiting the Zoo in Anchorage here and not filming the show, I’ll post a retraction: “This is NOT Happening: Kate Gosselin Goes Camping with Sarah Palin.”

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM

How ’bout that REALITY SHOW with the Palins?

Point being – don’t get excited here – reports about her media plans have been … well, a bit overstated in the past.

HondaV65 on July 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Didn’t American Chopper visit Governor Palin after the election?

portlandon on July 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM

She’s positioning for the female vote.

faraway on July 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I only learn of these people when the parody comes out, Kate who, why should I care?

gooddad on July 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM

That’s it.
No one from the Palin camp or from TLC appears to be confirming.
We shall see, I guess.
Missy on July 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I’m totally with you, Missy!
I’ve never watched this Kate woman in any shows and I’ve never heard of In Touch Weekly Magazine, but that being said, how sleazy could camping, with the kids getting nature lessons from Sarah’s aged dad, be?

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM

48 hour rule on this one…at least.

pabo on July 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM

She’s positioning for the female vote.

faraway on July 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Bingo!
My first reaction was that Sarah feels sorry for Kate because she’s raising all those children by herself…

Jenfidel on July 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Maybe this is some sort of tie-in to Palin’s upcoming Alaska documentary? Isn’t her documentary going to air in the future on TLC/The Discovery Channel? This could be the network’s way of promoting it.

CanadianMelB on July 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM

…Ah, Grasshopper…you threw Andrew Breitbart to the wolves when the left started piling on…just chill and see what the real story really is.

Bee: I don’t doubt the sources you linked to, but hey, I’m still reserving doubt that we don’t have the whole story.
Let’s wait and see.

Chewy the Lab on July 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Chewy the Lab on July 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I’ll happily retract if it isn’t true.

Bee on July 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM