DU to Dick Cheney: Drop Dead
posted at 3:28 pm on July 18, 2010 by Howard Portnoy
Despite Barack Obama’s promise to usher in a new era of bipartisanship, the bitter divisions in our country are fiercer than ever. The president bears at least some responsibility for the current climate of distrust and hatred inasmuch as he has been in attack mode against Republicans and anyone else who opposes his agenda since taking office.
Sad evidence of how extreme the divide has become can be found at the message boards of the liberal website Democratic Underground, where commenters recently saw fit to send “get ill” messages to former Vice President Dick Cheney. Cheney, who is recovering from heart surgery, has long been the target of liberal antipathy, but some of the comments posted are over the top even for liberals. Some are too obscene to repeat. Here are a few of the more “restrained” reactions:
- I hope Dick is in pain and drowning in his own fluids.
- don’t worry, he’ll shoot someone in the face and then steal their heart while they are writhing in pain from the buck shot.
- I hope he dies a slow death. The amount of pain due that man would be no where close to what he deserves.
- I’m not going to feel anything but intense gratitude that this miserable bastard has stepped off this earthly coil! Really! And I’m sure on a much lesser scale when I die, there will probably be some of you right-wing flip tops who will feel the same way—I frankly don’t give a damn!
- Cheney is a murderer. He’s a killer. He’s a torturer. He is evil personified! He is a walking mass of horror and when he’s gone, this planet will be cleaner!
Introducing a note of irony into this spew of rampant hatred directed at another human being, David Allen, an administrator at the website, recently posted a lengthy set of rules proscribing “Inappropriate attacks against Democrats” and especially the president. A specific example of off-limit language was “Calling Barack Obama ‘Barry’ or some other name.”
Just to make sure I’m following, it is impermissible to call the president by a name by which he referred to himself throughout much of his early life, but it is not off-limits to wish a former Vice President dead.
Stay classy, my liberal friends.
| Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting a comment below.
Recently in the Green Room:
- “I don’t think you’d find…even a small number of Republicans voting for any kind of bill that has amnesty first and enforcement second”
- Photo of the day
- Programming note: Hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show this week
- It’s come to this: Democrats now complaining that … the Senate hasn’t passed a budget
- Video: The worst pageant answer ever?