Green Room

The EPA, Starring In James Cameron’s The Oil Spill

posted at 6:46 pm on June 1, 2010 by

Image courtesy of freakingnews.com

This post originally appeared at NewsReal:

What to do when you are totally inept and in way over your heads? Call in Hollywood and turn a disaster into a disaster film! At least, that’s what our illustrious federal government does now, under the king of all things scripted and illusionary, President Obama.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse than Shakira interjecting herself in Arizona’s illegal immigration policy, the feds swoop in and do one better.  Sadly, this isn’t from The Onion. It’s for real:

Federal officials are hoping film director James Cameron can help them come up with ideas on how to stop the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The “Avatar” and “Titanic” director was among a group of scientists and other experts who met Tuesday with officials from the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies for a brainstorming session on stopping the massive oil leak.

The Canadian-born Cameron is considered an expert on underwater filming and remote vehicle technologies.

“Avatar” and “Titanic” are the two highest-grossing films of all time.

Brainstorming. With James Cameron. Isn’t that an oxymoron? I wanted to title this “Obama, Starring in James Cameron’s The Oil Spill”, but the article doesn’t specify whether Obama was in attendance or not.  So, I somehow doubt that he was, it being a brainstorming session and all. That’s not his forte, as he’s made painfully apparent. Over and over.

I just hope Obama doesn’t start adding the soundtrack to The Titanic now or speaking in Na’vi, whenever talking about the spill and it’s progress. No one needs to be subjected to that; his own total fabrications and overwhelming smug are bad enough.

At least they didn’t call in Kevin Costner as well. That would just drag the leak on and on; never-ending with the added insult of a tedious narrative, to boot.

The EPA’s new slogan: WWJCD? (What Would James Cameron Do?)

———–

Follow Lori  on Twitter and read more of her NewsReal posts here.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

I started to post on this myself, with a hearty helping of South Park’s Imaginationland snark. But… they didn’t call him in for ideas on stopping the spill. They called him in on this because he’s perceived – rightly or wrongly, I have no idea – as an expert in filming underwater. Apparently he’s done so at 16,000 feet, so they thought he might have some ideas on how to improve filming at 5,000. That’s reasonable.

Laura Curtis on June 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Laura Curtis on June 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

BS.

Ask yourself where James Cameron got his undersea robotic craft to carry the cameras that were designed to remain waterproof and functional at depth? Those guys are already providing the robots to every deep-sea anything on the planet. Have been for years. If they weren’t in the meeting it’s because they were kinda busy.

Robert17 on June 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Robert, again, I’m not saying he’s the best or certainly not the only choice, just that he’s not an insane choice as far as bringing in someone to consult. Doubtless he shops at the same place BP got their cameras; his perceived value here is as an expert user. He was decidedly NOT called in for advice on how to “plug the damned hole” which is a meme that many on the right are unfortunately picking up, thanks to that article. I almost took the bait myself; the article lends itself so well to that purpose that I kind of wonder if it was deliberate.

There is SO MUCH low-hanging political fruit for us in terms of how badly the Obama administration is bungling this – and I say this as one who lives in New Orleans and takes the situation seriously; I’ve got family out of work because of this oil spill – that we do NOT need to be sidetracked by James Cameron. It’s a non-issue. (Except for Avatar, which was of course a crime.)

Laura Curtis on June 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Eh. I say anything they do that lends itself to ridicule must be pointed out. And this is such an instance. I don’t care what he filmed; the dude is a director, not an expert. Nor an engineer.

Plus, if I don’t get to laugh sometimes, I’ll end up curled in the fetal position, weeping, daily.

Lori Ziganto on June 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM

And that whole “high road” thing is over-rated and not very pragmatic now, in my opinion. Look what (or whom) it has gotten us thus far.

Lori Ziganto on June 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM

High road, schmigh road. He called in a friggin Hollywood director for technical advice? It would be criminal neglect if we failed to mock him for this. Not only do they not have any clue what to do about the disaster… they are running out of ways to look busy.

bitsy on June 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM

He called in a friggin Hollywood director for filming advice. Shocking!

Laura Curtis on June 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM