Green Room

Food May Be Hazardous to Your Children’s Health

posted at 12:28 pm on May 26, 2010 by

Fast food. Fat food. Fat kids. It’s like one of those ladder puzzles we all solved as kids, where you change one letter in each of a series of words to form a new word until you convert, say, meddle to shut up.

Admittedly, the Double Down, recently unveiled by KFC, is not my taste in food, but I always thought that the decision to eat or not eat a particular food item was my own. I labored under what appears to be the equally false assumption that what I chose to feed to my kids was my choice.

Nuh-uh, as it turns out. A group that calls itself Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) has asked KFC not to advertise this new sandwich to children and to post a warning label noting the sandwich’s potential ill effects on children’s health. Remember how some lunatics complained in the 1960s that affixing warning labels to packages of cigarettes was a first step down a slippery slope? I guess those people were visionaries after all.

I suppose one should be heartened that this watchdog group asked, rather than ordered, the change it seeks. I wonder if this request will have the same form as Michelle Obama’s request on behalf of the Task Force on Childhood Obesity that manufacturers of empty-calorie foods to go on “an advertising diet,” said while brandishing a billy club.

The food blog Eater.com notes that the press release issued by PCRM fails to mention that the organization is run by vegans and promotes a vegan diet for all. Then again, perhaps that is information the group is not eager to share since it is not mentioned on their website’s about page either.

As for the Double Down, I concede that the sandwich, which provides 540 calories and half an adult’s RDA of fat, doesn’t sound like the healthiest food product in the world. But those who choose to eat it at their own peril are within their rights to do so.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The people that work for and with the PCRM regularly turn up in literature concerning the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), or as I call them, the Center for Science in the Interested of Public Annoyance (CSIPA). A bunch of food nazis, the whole lot of them.

Does anyone think that Michael F. Jacobson actually sounds or looks healthy?

gryphon202 on May 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM

And I suppose that people concerned that it’s not a good choice aren’t well within their rights to ask that it not be marketed to people not yet not of age and not usually assumed to be capable of making fully informed choices.

audiculous on May 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The Science of Diets and Food is currently about at the level of the tribal shaman who just discovered that leeches can be tamed.

Waaaay too much work to do to get all it a tizzy, and unfortunately the various “cults” in the field (low-fat, vegan, raw foods, low-carb, low sodium, yadda yadda) are now entrenched religious faiths and their “science” is generally bad – with the caveat that PARTICULAR people often respond well to a particular diet for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, it seems that the dual fallacy that all people are the same and dieticians actually know anything result in constant wild shifts in “common sense” about diets and pushes for restrictions.

540 Calories isn’t even that much (unless you have the giant fries and 92-oz soda as well), and fat-paranoia is just silly, but it’s a very common silliness.

Merovign on May 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

audiculous: Okay, so you’re saying they can ask but we can’t comment on it? What?

Or are you just commenting on our comment on their comment just to comment on our comments?

Merovign on May 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Not really. That’s the problem with nationalizing health care. If you eat the wrong thing and become ill, you become a burden to the state. The moment the government becomes responsible for your health care is the moment the government seizes the right to dictate how you live. The solution is to get government to GTFO of our lives.

Daggett on May 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Beware the dangers of bread, my fellow enlightened progressive-type comrades!

OhioCoastie on May 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM

You know what else is dangerous?

Air.

Anyone who’s ever lived and died, breathed air.
Heck, birth itself must be the leading cause of death.

rbj on May 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Heck, birth itself must be the leading cause of death.

rbj on May 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Pro-Abortion folks have already cured that disease. And since it’s not really “life”, then there’s no death involved. We can all look forward to the future utopia where human death has been wiped out… oh, wait…

Daggett on May 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Here’s a teaser. My Granny ate bacon every day that I’m aware of (I’m aware of many). She arose at 5am, dressed and emptied the night jar as she went out to split kindling to start her wood stove. As it was heating up, she mixed and rolled out biscuits, cooked up bacon, fried eggs, biscuits, coffee, ate, cleaned up the dishes and proceeded with her other tasks: feeding the chickens (when she had them), milked the cow (until her most aged years), walked into town to get the mail, visit friends at the grocery store and drug store. Walked home, worked in the large garden, took a nap, and enjoyed her life quite simply.

She lived to be 89. Something tells me a) eat what you want as the anti-bacon and fried food crowd seems to be wrong, b) get some exercise as the exercise part of the doctor’s orders seems to be a good idea and c) no one ever has rights beyond the tip of my nose, so “Go Away”.

Robert17 on May 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

no comment.

but if I were going to say something, it would be along the line that Howard is a tad strident on the issue of people interfering with the consumption of food.

it’s a little overboard, but my dog’s the same way.

on your view of our understanding of human nutrition, I would say that you sound less informed than Howard (and my dog).

audiculous on May 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus