Green Room

Gingrich Defends Making Climate Change PSA With Pelosi

posted at 11:22 am on April 14, 2010 by

My political history as far as how I feel about Newt Gingrich has been like Al Pacino’s famous line in Godfather III, except in reverse: “Just when I thought I was in, he pulls me back out!”

Gingrich, just days ago, referred to Obama’s administration the “most radical in American history.” Okay, I was starting to warm back up to the Newtmeister again… until later, when Newt explained why he did the global warming PSA with Nancy Pelosi — one of the willing tools in the leftist toolbox of that “most radical administration ever”:

Taking action on “climate change” is the excuse of choice of Obama/Pelosi/et al for the implementation of socialist policy, so Newt needs to understand that calling Obama “radical” while at the same time endorsing the modus operandi for instituting that radicalism leaves conservatives scratching their heads.

You can talk all you want, Newt, but if you run for president, especially after that explanation, if your name is on the ballot, this is what a lot of conservative voters will see:

null

(h/t WeaselZippers)

Twitter @ThePowersThatBe

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Gingrich is meh with almost everybody now; he’s a product of the 90s, kind of like Arianna, when she clung to him.

For anyone to consider him, he’s going to have to do some much better mea cuplas on that couchsit with Nancy.

thebrokenrattle on April 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Amen! When he’s in the PSA he says that he agrees with Pelosi that the U.S. “must take action to address climate change”. Now he says that what he meant was that we need to have a debate and that he doesn’t know if there is any global warming. He knows that he screwed up. Making the PSA was a mistake and AGW is a load of hooey. Instead of admitting it like a man he tries to weasel out of it by claiming some intent that he didn’t articulate at the time and is obviously totally bogus.

I believe Gingrich saw all the money and attention Al Gore was getting with the AGW snake oil and wanted to get in on the action. You made your bed, Newt – go lie in it with Nancy.

DamnCat on April 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Pro-life fiscal conservative republican endorses Margaret Sanger winning tax and spend republican. nuff said. Couch sit is the exact same thing. I support climate change, but I don’t really believe in it…. Count me out. Newt should keep his think tank and write more books.

kringeesmom on April 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Upgrade your inner software Newt. There was some news about fudging the data to support claims of AGW. He is not walking back from this the same way he didn’t with his backing Scozzafava. When you’re proven wrong, and you refuse to face the facts, rationalizing is a poor excuse for being in a state of denial. Funny isn’t it, for a supposed smart guy, he sure has trouble learning when informed that he was wrong. What do you call a person like that? Unelectable.

Americannodash on April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Hannity keeps interviewing NG and holding him up as some kind of “icon” we conservatives should be supporting and/or listening to.

There’s a description for people like Newt Gingrich:

“Has been.”

GrannyDee on April 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Newt actually balanced the budget and there isn’t anyone smarter on the Republican side. He would destroy Obama in a debate and that does matter.

If he can get some Dems to vote for him that’s a winning campaign. You can’t win the Pres if you only get your base.

I’m not a Newt booster, but let’s be glad we have options and support them all until the primaries separate the wheat from the chaf!

Stephanie on April 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Not long after this PSA, Gingrich appeared on Rush’s show (for the last time, I think). He made what was – at the time – the single stupidest thing I’d ever heard an alleged “conservative” politician say. I’m forced to paraphrase, but the gist was this: “Even if there is no man-made global warming, Republicans must act as if there is so that we can get involved in the crafting of the Cap & Trade Legislation. Since Cap & Trade is going to pass, we Republicans must agree that man-made global warming exists in order to be included in the drafting of the Bill. If we deny global warming or oppose the inevitable legislation, then we won’t be able to control what’s in it.”

As I said, this was the dumbest thing I’d ever heard …. at the time.
Of course, not long afterward our outgoing President Bush said “I had to abandon Free Market principles in order to save the Free Market.”
So, Newt only held the title for a couple months at best.

Still, I hope that most conservatives will one day realize that Newt is NOT a conservative … Not in any respect.

Eyas on April 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM

CNN reporters resign over retracted story

John Sexton Jun 26, 2017 9:21 PM
Top Pick

“The individuals all stated that they accepted responsibility and wanted to resign.”

Federalism’s greatest champion is now …

Ed Morrissey Jun 26, 2017 8:41 PM
Top Pick

“In the end, we’re a democracy.”

“Almost all controversial speech harms people, upsets or offends them…”

Obama: Back home again in Indonesia

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 7:21 PM

The call to prayer and eating dog.

Testing the waters.

“primarily because the penalty for not having insurance would be eliminated.”

“If I were a Seattle lawmaker, I would be thinking hard about the $15 an hour phase-in.”

Days of future past

“Not only are taxpayers footing the bill, but people are dying unnecessarily because of this.”

Israel settles who can stand where at the Western Wall

Andrew Malcolm Jun 26, 2017 3:21 PM

Women to the right, men to the left.

Look on the bright side. There’s less snow in the summer

Big win … but for how long?

“Several Russian cities have unveiled monuments to Stalin in recent months.”

Massive disappointment

Emboldened conservative wing?

It’s more about the powers of the Presidency at this point

A second look at paper ballots?

Jazz Shaw Jun 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Low tech solutions to high tech crime

No extra beatings required, thanks

A “”massive, massive f*** up…”

This is totally amazing!

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”