Green Room

Gingrich Defends Making Climate Change PSA With Pelosi

posted at 11:22 am on April 14, 2010 by

My political history as far as how I feel about Newt Gingrich has been like Al Pacino’s famous line in Godfather III, except in reverse: “Just when I thought I was in, he pulls me back out!”

Gingrich, just days ago, referred to Obama’s administration the “most radical in American history.” Okay, I was starting to warm back up to the Newtmeister again… until later, when Newt explained why he did the global warming PSA with Nancy Pelosi — one of the willing tools in the leftist toolbox of that “most radical administration ever”:

Taking action on “climate change” is the excuse of choice of Obama/Pelosi/et al for the implementation of socialist policy, so Newt needs to understand that calling Obama “radical” while at the same time endorsing the modus operandi for instituting that radicalism leaves conservatives scratching their heads.

You can talk all you want, Newt, but if you run for president, especially after that explanation, if your name is on the ballot, this is what a lot of conservative voters will see:

null

(h/t WeaselZippers)

Twitter @ThePowersThatBe

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Gingrich is meh with almost everybody now; he’s a product of the 90s, kind of like Arianna, when she clung to him.

For anyone to consider him, he’s going to have to do some much better mea cuplas on that couchsit with Nancy.

thebrokenrattle on April 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Amen! When he’s in the PSA he says that he agrees with Pelosi that the U.S. “must take action to address climate change”. Now he says that what he meant was that we need to have a debate and that he doesn’t know if there is any global warming. He knows that he screwed up. Making the PSA was a mistake and AGW is a load of hooey. Instead of admitting it like a man he tries to weasel out of it by claiming some intent that he didn’t articulate at the time and is obviously totally bogus.

I believe Gingrich saw all the money and attention Al Gore was getting with the AGW snake oil and wanted to get in on the action. You made your bed, Newt – go lie in it with Nancy.

DamnCat on April 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Pro-life fiscal conservative republican endorses Margaret Sanger winning tax and spend republican. nuff said. Couch sit is the exact same thing. I support climate change, but I don’t really believe in it…. Count me out. Newt should keep his think tank and write more books.

kringeesmom on April 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Upgrade your inner software Newt. There was some news about fudging the data to support claims of AGW. He is not walking back from this the same way he didn’t with his backing Scozzafava. When you’re proven wrong, and you refuse to face the facts, rationalizing is a poor excuse for being in a state of denial. Funny isn’t it, for a supposed smart guy, he sure has trouble learning when informed that he was wrong. What do you call a person like that? Unelectable.

Americannodash on April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Hannity keeps interviewing NG and holding him up as some kind of “icon” we conservatives should be supporting and/or listening to.

There’s a description for people like Newt Gingrich:

“Has been.”

GrannyDee on April 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Newt actually balanced the budget and there isn’t anyone smarter on the Republican side. He would destroy Obama in a debate and that does matter.

If he can get some Dems to vote for him that’s a winning campaign. You can’t win the Pres if you only get your base.

I’m not a Newt booster, but let’s be glad we have options and support them all until the primaries separate the wheat from the chaf!

Stephanie on April 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Not long after this PSA, Gingrich appeared on Rush’s show (for the last time, I think). He made what was – at the time – the single stupidest thing I’d ever heard an alleged “conservative” politician say. I’m forced to paraphrase, but the gist was this: “Even if there is no man-made global warming, Republicans must act as if there is so that we can get involved in the crafting of the Cap & Trade Legislation. Since Cap & Trade is going to pass, we Republicans must agree that man-made global warming exists in order to be included in the drafting of the Bill. If we deny global warming or oppose the inevitable legislation, then we won’t be able to control what’s in it.”

As I said, this was the dumbest thing I’d ever heard …. at the time.
Of course, not long afterward our outgoing President Bush said “I had to abandon Free Market principles in order to save the Free Market.”
So, Newt only held the title for a couple months at best.

Still, I hope that most conservatives will one day realize that Newt is NOT a conservative … Not in any respect.

Eyas on April 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM
Top Pick

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Top Pick

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM