Green Room

Here’s looking at you, Congressman…

posted at 9:50 pm on April 12, 2010 by

After I got over my shock – that Paul Ryan would throw a great Greenroom contributor, Zombie Contentions Web Czar, and income tax procrastinator – me – under the bus, in favor of some radio guy that no one’s ever heard of and one or two listeners; after I passed through subsequent stages of anger and of bargaining with the fates (wait, was that the phone ringing?… no, well, let me check my inbox…), I found myself in a blessed state of acceptance.

Who loves humankind, loves the pleasures of humankind, and there is no human pleasure at once so spectacular and intimate as new love aborning.  OK, maybe it got a little mushy, and, yes, premature professions – on the first date, a phone-date! – have been known to lead to embarrassment.  (Be careful, radio dude!  Remember, in every affair, sooner or later, one gives the lips, the other the cheek, and it’s not always the one you expected.)  Yet even and especially what’s wrong or terrifyingly un-graspable in new love tends to draw the lovers on, may be precisely what draws the lovers on…

…And yet, when you’ve endured
the first terrible glances, and the yearning at windows,
and the first walk together, just once, through the garden:
Lovers, are you the same? When you raise yourselves
one to another’s mouth, and hang there – sip against sip:
O, how strangely the drinker then escapes the deed.

–Rainer Maria Rilke
“Second Duino Elegy”

I won’t recount again, I’ll not even link, the messages Paul Ryan once vouchsafed to me… and to an audience of Oklahoma Republicans, to the blogosphere, and eventually to that itsy-bitsy radio audience of millions that I mentioned.  When the light of rapture from yonder window breaks, what lovestruck prince spares a thought to the letters he once wrote to the fair what’s-her-name?  And has there ever been a couple in the first blush of love who listened to a cynic?

May the union of needs and interests prove durable and fruitful, all the more so if and when the passion wanes.

Thank you, AP, for your kind and thoughtful words, but I’m done weeping… almost – and, really, what difference does it make at a time like this who’s “right”?  All’s fair, and it’s just as well.  Truth be told, I always thought the two belonged together.  They complete each other.  No one seemed to hear me saying so, and if anyone thought to thank me for making the match, what a small thing that would be anyway, compared to whatever course of love, true or other, may lie ahead for them.

Here’s looking at you, Congressman.  (We’ll always have Oklahoma City.)

cross-posted at Zombie Contentions

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

So. If you’re Rick Blaine, and Paul Ryan is Ilsa, does that make Glenn Beck Victor Laszlo?

All I know is, I have dibs on Captain Renault.

J.E. Dyer on April 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Me thinks this little Ryan-Beck-progressive kerfuffle was CK’s 15 minutes of fame.

Disturb the Universe on April 13, 2010 at 7:22 AM

This post was extremely difficult to read and follow.

Understandable. You tried. Now go take a nap.

uknowmorethanme on April 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Disturb the Universe on April 13, 2010 at 7:22

I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed.

CK MacLeod on April 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM

uknowmorethanme on April 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM

There are many alternative entertainment options available on the web.

CK MacLeod on April 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Top Pick

Will they stay or will they go?

Top Pick

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus