Green Room

ObamaCare in an Image – Updated

posted at 10:06 pm on March 24, 2010 by

obamacaredebt

Last Sunday, as I watched the House of Representatives pass the health care reform bill, my first thought was of my daughters, one of whom is pictured above.

On the day the ObamaCare bill passed, my older daughter was three years old and my younger daughter was one. As I watched Nancy Pelosi gavel the vote to a close, I realized that if this law was not repealed, my daughters would someday be faced with tax levels never before paid by American citizens. In their quest for power, Obama, Pelosi and Reid have ensured that an entire generation of citizens will be enslaved by the debt these fiscal libertines have accumulated.

Their blatant disregard for the economic well-being of America’s future citizens is both unconscionable and infuriating. Taking on the personal, sociological, and economic challenges of parenthood is hard enough. Watching an out-of-control president and congress put their ideological goals above the future economic prosperity of my family and making parenthood even harder makes me wonder just what the hell 52% of my fellow citizens were thinking when they cast their votes in 2008.

As corny as it may sound to admit, I am no longer capable of keeping my emotions separate from my political views. Fatherhood has made me more aware of how decisions of politicians today will affect the lives of my two girls in the future. The bad decisions of our current Congress has made me realize, for the first time in my adult life, I am not proud of my country government.

Edit – As an emailer and commenters have reminded me, this is still a country of which I can be proud. And I still am proud of this country. I was trying to copy some rather well-known criticism of the country, but realize now that I should have been more specific. Our government has failed us, not our country. Time to do what we can to ensure that the statists currently running that government lose their power in November.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No correction or apology was necessary. Writing for myself, I don’t draw fine distinctions between the two, country and government, since we live in a representative republic and our government has as its basis ‘We The People’. Further, unlike most nations, the President holds dual roles as both head of the executive branch of government and head of state. So how can one be proud of President Obama’s sorry treatment of longstanding allies such as Israel and Britain, or his perpetual global apology roadshow where he bows and scrapes to foreign kings? Our allies or enemies don’t draw distinctions between our government and country, and neither should we.

With freedom comes accountability. We are responsible for Obama just as we were responsible for his more incompetent or corrupt predecessors such as Carter, Harding, and Buchanan: those Americans who voted for Obama because they voted for him and those of us who voted against him because we didn’t try hard enough or weren’t smart enough to beat him. And that rampant corruption in the House and Senate? That’s on us, too.

Our country ignores the cries for freedom from Iranian dissidents who are summarily executed for their dissent. Our country embraces dictators and insults democracies. Our country can vote for itself endless entitlements and burden successive generations with an impossible debt. So yes, one can love his country as I do, more than just about anything, and still not be proud of it at times. Times like now.

troyriser_gopftw on March 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I didn’t say it was only republicans who added to the debt prior, why do you keep putting words in my mouth? I don’t intend to point any fingers squarely at anyone. Would the cognitive dissonance of admitting the GOP is culpable in this mess really be too much for you to face? Is that why you get so utterly defensive? Or reach for personal quips rather than sticking to the actual issue being discussed?

ernesto on March 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The GOP certainly contributed. But what you suggest is that the 2 wars and tax cuts – which in your mind are 100% GOP items – are the main causes.

I tried to explain to you that a) tax cuts actually produced more, not less revenue and b) Dems have funded 50% of the cost of the war.

I don’t know how much simpler I can state those facts. If you want to keep on the “it’s all Bush’s fault train”, go ahead. If you want to understand what is happening, get off it.

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

And I still say you are lying when you say you will vote Republican. Sorry but given your history, that is simply an impossibility. Either you were lying then or lying now, either way YOU LIE!

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Our government has failed us, not our country.

You are wrong, Slublog.
It was our country that failed.
We elected him.

We can’t wash our hands
Of Obama or Congress…
We elect them all.

Haiku Guy on March 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I never said that. 100% GOP items? Never once characterized them that way.

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

There’s a difference between “its all bush’s fault” and “hey, lets not forget how easily GOP promises are broken as well”.

And I AM voting republican! I’ll be living in the NY 11th (brooklyn) come november and I’ve done my research. Yvette Clarke represents the district, and shes a 98% party line voting democrat whose major initiatives are all related to supposed racial victimization. The GOP ran a hardline libertarian against her in 2006 and got 10% of the vote. If he runs again, or someone more libertarian than conventional conservative, I’ll most certainly vote for him or her. Hell, I’ll even take a picture of my vote before I pull the lever. But remember, I attended a tea party, I frequent HotAir, and I rarely talk about my actual policy preferences. There’s no reason to expect that I’d vote for Clarke.

ernesto on March 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

He who controls the symbols controls the debate.

Good symbol.

batterup on March 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I can hardly believe what I’m reading in this thread.

Barack Obama was elected President because his opponent was John McCain. Many on our side couldn’t stomach the idea of voting for someone who’d spit in their faces and stabbed them in the back as many times as he had, so they stayed home. Period, the end. Obama could never have won an honest election against a sincere, unapologetic Conservative who didn’t hesitate to expose him for who and what he really was, and provided a genuine, compelling alternative.

Furthermore, Obama’s entire campaign was fundamentally dishonest on every possible level. He did not run on the promise that he would ram sweeping, society-changing legislation through Congress in the dead of night using arcane parliamentary trickery, nationalize huge swaths of our economy and utterly demolish what he couldn’t control. Hard-left candidates who run as such on a national level do not win elections in the United States. Ever. They always have to run under false pretenses, portraying themselves as something they are not, in order to win.

And now that the Democrats’ true colors have been revealed, poll after poll after poll, not to mention all the town halls, tea parties and rallies, have consistently shown that the public at large overwhelmingly opposes all of their major policies. And yet in the face of all that, I see people here insisting that it is not the dishonest, back-stabbing politicians who deserve our scorn, but the American people themselves — and that means YOU and ME, chum, not just the “drones”.

But of course, that’s not what you meant. Everyone who rants and raves about how stupid, ignorant and lazy “people” in general are, always — always — does so with the unspoken caveat “except me”. By doing so, you create an insular bubble for your own self-image in which you can escape personal responsibility while perpetually pointing the finger of blame at everyone else.

This is the refuge of the left, and the philosophical starting point for 95% of their social policies.

I refuse to take part in it. And I would caution others to mind the path they’re treading, knowing where it ultimately leads.

Cylor on March 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM

What a cop-out bs edit. Have some courage, perhaps if more people would show a little we woouldn’t have gotten in this situtation. We live in a country that is incapapable of telling the elderly, poor, or politically connected no. Hell the founders would have considered income tax a travesty, and we do nothing but shut up and pay. We are not a free people, since the 1930s we have come to depend on the gov more and more. This is not the country of our ancestors, we have changed our mores and expectations of government. The purpose of the US government was originally to do as little for people as possible for the sake of making them do it themselves. The idea of our republic initially was to create a strong self reliant citizen. Our modern government is based on making us comfortable, which makes us soft, which makes us dependent. The elderly (60+) control the ballot box, and are only interested in voting themselves more of the treasury.

snoopicus on March 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM