Green Room

Coulter: ‘I Hope They Send the Royal Canadian Mounted Police After Me!’

posted at 5:21 pm on March 22, 2010 by

That’s what The Blonde One said when I asked her about her Canadian campus tour, which has enraged the Canuckistani Thought Police and prompted University of Ottawa provost François Houle to send Coulter a letter:

We have a great respect for freedom of expression in Canada, as well as on our campus, and view it as a fundamental freedom, as recognized by our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I would, however, like to inform you, or perhaps remind you, that our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or “free speech”) in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States.
I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here. You will realize that Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression.
For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges.

Canadian campus wienies are wetting their pants. Of course, Ann Coulter always get that reaction from the campus Left, but the problem in Canada is that the junior Stalinists have the force of law behind them, as Mark Steyn knows all too well.

Exit question: Now that Bart Stupak has given us Canadian health care, will Canadian “hate speech” laws be next?

UPDATE: Proving that great minds think alike, Professor William Jacobson asks, “Which Came First, The Single Payer or The Censorship?”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

The evil part of me just loves the fact that Stupak is being held up mainly and loudly as the pol responsible for the passage of this bill. If ever a man deserved this’honor’, it’s him. Maybe we should change it’s name to Nancyand BradCare?

jeanie on March 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM

This might really interesting to see how this comes out. Ann is not a shy child and says it like it is. Stay safe Ann if you indeed go. There are nasty people everywhere.
L

letget on March 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Anyone as divisive and incendiary as Coulter, no matter WHAT their political inclinations, should always be careful when they make a public appearance.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Ann rocks, she’ll do just fine up here in the ‘Great White North’.
Our native breed of the common moonbat is a rather cowardly creature known for loud outbursts and public displays of stupidity. Their numbers I’ve been told have actually been in decline in recent years!
Cheers,

grouchymonk on March 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM

One thought to keep in mind, McCain… Ann knows how to communicate, but she EXCELS at provoking the Left. And in Canadia, her protesters are under the same legal restrictions. They just won’t be able to say in Canadia what they can get away with down here.

Now. Who do you think is going to break the Canadian Laws?

This’ll be fun.

Mr Michael on March 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM

You are walking a fine line there. Perhaps you need to be arrested for your anti-conservative stance.

uknowmorethanme on March 23, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Maybe it’s because I live in a suburb of Toronto – and 95% of all my friends and coworkers are liberals – but I’m always surprised when conservatives like Ann Coulter, George W. Bush and Sarah Palin are invited up here to talk, because even the Canadian conservatives that I know consider them too far right. I guess I’m not alone in Ontario with my political opinions after all!!

P.S. I’m going to see Sarah Palin at a benefit in a few weeks, and I can’t wait!

CityFish on March 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM

uknowmorethanme on March 23, 2010 at 10:28 AM

It’s taking all my self-control not to laugh like a hyena after reading that piece of tripe.

Not only have you just admitted to taking a totalitarian approach to those who don’t agree with you, but your threat value is ZILCH. Random wingnut on the internet spewing hate from a keyboard…yeah…like you have any legal power. Oh, this is hilarious!

Dark-Star on March 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Heartache, from the ‘wetting their pants’ link:

Walker’s comments have served to shine the spotlight on Coulter’s visit, and in doing so, has sapped attention from another American visiting two days later, Robert Kennedy Jr., a talk paid for by Western.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2010 at 5:24 PM