Green Room

Hitler comparisons now en vogue against people demanding representation in Europe, as well…

posted at 12:52 pm on February 27, 2010 by

In these enlightened days, where Savior Barack is bringing peace and civility to the national dialogue with a wave of his HopenChange wand, it’s actually a little comforting to find that we’re not the only part of the world where people who demand representation are called Nazis and fascists. Enter Nigel Farage, a member of the European Parliament for England, and a major voice in the movement to withdraw the UK from the European Union. In the midst of pointing out that leaders of the EU are not being elected, and therefore held accountable to the people they rule over(I know, but the crown in Britain is effectively powerless), he is chided for “getting personal” with his attack. He responds by pointing out that the person who is chiding him belongs to a group that invoked Godwin on his political movement. Amazing how people who pull that card so quickly forget their own words.

It wasn’t personal, you know, calling you Nazis and fascists. Just like it wasn’t personal for eight years under Bush, right? It wasn’t personal against dirty teabaggers, right?

This is far from the first time Farage has made a ruckus about his displeasure with the state of the EU. Fascinating to watch someone express concerns about unelected officials overseas in much the same way we’ve been raising our voices over people like Van Jones and Kevin Jennings. Much of the UKIP’s chief political concerns are not too dissimilar to ours. Perhaps we should compare notes. At the very least, I think I’ve got a new man-crush.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Well, that was entertaining.

Mark1971 on February 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I see your crush, and raise you one Daniel Hannan speaking truth to power, What’s wrong with the European Commission?

After all, What could be more British than a tea party?

FeFe on February 27, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Good article. Nice to know Europe has some proponents of Democracy, if only a few. Hey, at least they’re vocal and articulate! In the midst of continual boos. Love it.

MC–Does this mean you’re out of hibernation?

conservative pilgrim on February 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Does this mean you’re out of hibernation?

conservative pilgrim on February 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Not sure. I’m actually quite enjoying my small hut out beyond the Dune Sea.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I am joyously drenched in the first-rate sarcasm and contempt of one Nigel Farage. Tears of joy.

Jaibones on February 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

That guy is more of what we need! And quick!

RAB on February 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I like how English people talk.

GW_SS-Delta on February 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Not sure. I’m actually quite enjoying my small hut out beyond the Dune Sea.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Did you get a big Worm after you planted your Thumper?
Its at least a 2 day ride to The Dune Sea.

5u93rm4n on February 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM

That was hilarious. Can you imagine House Republicans talking to Pelosi that way?

I hope readers will understand the distinction between the UKIP and the BritNats (British National Party, or BNP), which is, in fact, a party with racist principles. UKIP isn’t.

Farage’s mug reminds me a lot of Edward VIII’s.

J.E. Dyer on March 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM